Change In Pet Theft Laws

• Thread starter Deleted member 39001
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39001

Hi everyone,

It has been raised again over the last year the poor laws we have in the U.K. over theft of pets, more dogs then ever are now being stolen and sold on for huge profit due to a massive surge in demand, thanks to lockdowns and home working.
Currently the theft of a pet is considered on the same level as that of a mobile phone, and the punishment I believe is far too weak.
Also the methods used by criminals to steal pets, particularly dogs is becoming increasingly violent.

This is the most recent story of such a theft:

Their are a few petitions out there to try and get the law changed on this, I have signed up to this one and so have a few other members so if you feel the same, please sign the petition as they are just under 2000 signatures short, see if the law can be changed as I’m sure many pet owners out there do not consider their companions to be property like a mobile phone, but members of the family:

Spread the word any way you can so we can help get the law changed. If it isn’t then the thefts will continue and your family member treated as a possession or property in the eyes of the law, and treated as such with any investigation.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed and shared

Ditto

Just to say I would prefer this being applied to other pets also.
See no reason, for example why a family loosing a cat should be seen as any less upsetting than a dog.

Just to say I would prefer this being applied to other pets also.
See no reason, for example why a family loosing a cat should be seen as any less upsetting than a dog.

The text accompanying the petition request did mention other pets....?

These sorts of thefts are obviously worse than stealing a bottle of alcohol from Tesco but 7 years max sentence for theft is adequate IMO, where premises are entered then that would be burglary carrying 14yrs max I don't think the law needs changing, is that the real issue? Are organised gangs caught being given lenient sentences? is that the issue prompting a call for the change in law?

Maybe the sentencing guidelines need toughening up and some examples need making of organised gangs going around doing this leaving families devastated. The victim impact statement was introduced to recognise the effects that the crime had on the victim, it should be used to maximum effect in these types of cases.

These sorts of thefts are obviously worse than stealing a bottle of alcohol from Tesco but 7 years max sentence for theft is adequate IMO, where premises are entered then that would be burglary carrying 14yrs max I don't think the law needs changing, is that the real issue? Are organised gangs caught being given lenient sentences? is that the issue prompting a call for the change in law?

Maybe the sentencing guidelines need toughening up and some examples need making of organised gangs going around doing this leaving families devastated. The victim impact statement was introduced to recognise the effects that the crime had on the victim, it should be used to maximum effect in these types of cases.

I think you've nailed it - the problem - and not just for pet thefts but for criminal offences in general - is that custodial sentences seem to be hardly ever imposed even for repeat offences.....

Perhaps some sort of "multiplier" should also be condidered based on previous offences.....

Last edited:
Signed and put onto FaceBook.

The thing with theft (especially shop theft) is that you get at least 3 free goes before you get to court.
Taking someone's dog should be looked at differently then say taking their pedal cycle or a garden ornament as its a recognised living member of their family rather just a possession like all other things.

I know what this is about now, and yes the law here is far too soft. I know if someone stole my niece's dog she'd probably never get over it.

To be honest they deserve nothing short of a good hiding.

Whilst this worries and saddens me a lot , I hope we don’t have an epidemic of abandoned dogs if people ever go back to the office 😟

Whilst this worries and saddens me a lot , I hope we don’t have an epidemic of abandoned dogs if people ever go back to the office 😟

Of course there will be.
Sadly I'm shocked by what I'd consider normal people to do.
One only has to look at crowds at the beach or people gagging to book the soonest flight to understand far too many are simply focussed on what they want right now.
As soon as Novelty working from home Pooch is a burden as it's back to work, there will be loads just dumped, you can guarantee it.
I wish I didn't believe this was the case.

Just to add, personally I find the whole breeding dogs to make big bucks money and paying stupid money for dogs a very distasteful concept in general.
Too many people seem to treat dogs like wanting the cool gadget. Probably tens of thousands of dogs here in the UK begging to have a home, and some people are wanting to buy dogs from other countries instead. Our dogs not worthy enough? :(
It's an Animal that needs a home, not the latest gadget/model you want.

When I first had the dog in my avatar, she was an absolutly beautiful puppy that everyone who saw her wanted her, there was no way that I was going to leave her alone.

As it was I had over 18 years with her, I would have been devistated if someone had taken her.

Some are reportedly stolen as bait dogs for dogfights..... 😡

When I first had the dog in my avatar, she was an absolutly beautiful puppy that everyone who saw her wanted her, there was no way that I was going to leave her alone.

As it was I had over 18 years with her, I would have been devistated if someone had taken her.
Wow!! 18 years is incredible!!

I'd die of a broken heart if someone stole my dogs.

I just wouldn't want to live without them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom