Change impedence on Yamaha RX-A3070?

3t3p

Established Member
Reaction score
Just setting this bad boy up. The manual says I should change impedence down to 6ohms as all my Dali Ikon speakers are 6ohms rated.

From what I've read most advice is NOT to do this.
What should I do? Leave it? Switch it to 6 ohms?
Cover myself in jam?
Ring richer sounds/batman?

Thanks

Leave it set to 8ohm irrespective of the impedance of your speakers. All you'd be doing is lowering the rail voltage and this serves no purpose other than to ensure the manufacturer meets certain requirements in the USA to avoid culpability should the receiver cause a fire. You can read more on this here:

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

The receivr has integral protection circuitry that would power it down if its operational temperature gets too high. This negates the need to reduce the rail voltage which only serves to reduce the chances of overheating.

Thanks Dante, I'll leave it alone.

I had just read that article and sort of come off none the wiser somehow!

Can I ask you a quick question I'm going to run YPAO RSC later today, my antimode is already set from my previous setup and the subs have not been moved.

I'm thinking to run YPAO with the antimode already connected?

Thanks Dante, I'll leave it alone.

I had just read that article and sort of come off none the wiser somehow!

Can I ask you a quick question I'm going to run YPAO RSC later today, my antimode is already set from my previous setup and the subs have not been moved.

I'm thinking to run YPAO with the antimode already connected?

It should be okay to leave the antimode and subs alone as long as they've not moved and the room itself hasn't altered. I'd probably want to run the antimode setup again prior to then running YPAO just to make sure.

So you'd run YPAO with the antimode in the loop having first completed its own calibration?

I may try multiple listening point option on the antimode this time, although no doubt time consuming last time I just did an MLP type calibration. Having said that it was excellent and combined with two subs there is powerful smooth effortless bass in much of the listening positions.

Makes me wonder if the multi point antimode calibration compromises the sound for a more even area of effect?

So you'd run YPAO with the antimode in the loop having first completed its own calibration?

I may try multiple listening point option on the antimode this time, although no doubt time consuming last time I just did an MLP type calibration. Having said that it was excellent and combined with two subs there is powerful smooth effortless bass in much of the listening positions.

Makes me wonder if the multi point antimode calibration compromises the sound for a more even area of effect?

That would be normal procedure if using an external EQ correction system. It is generally advised that the sub EQ system be run first followed by the AV receiver's room EQ correction and calibration. You could run the Antimode post YPAO if you wanted to. Some people suggest one order results in better sub EQ than the other, but it is a matter of personal preference as to which you should use. You'd ideally want to try both and choose the best order for yourself.

Makes sense cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom