1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change HT400 For D50 OR NOT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Andreas oakes, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Andreas oakes

Andreas oakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have'nt a clue if I am doing this right never been on a forum before.
    Currently I have a Seleco SVP 400 HT I baught new 4 years ago and it has about 400 hours run time.
    When deciding what to buy all those years ago my first choice was the Sony D50 HTU but that was £11000 against the £6500 I paid for my Seleco.
    A couple of weeks ago whilst scanning Ebay I hapened on a listing for a D50 which I subsequently viewed at Vince's home (projectiondreams)Vince was very informative and the D50 for sale was perfect however I missed out when someone else baught it.
    Allthough I had not been planning to change my projector this has started me thinking, mainly due to the possibility of some sort of HDTV in the future
    There seem to be brand new D50's avalable in the USA from $6500 and demo's from $4500 this seems a good deal.
    I mainly watch DVD's with the Seleco which are mainly great however when I ocationally watch a football match or a GP the picture is not so good.
    I did have a LCD projector before my Seleco but the dead pixels drove me mad hence I will only consider CRT.
    My question is would the D50 be a major improvement and also future format proof or would I be better looking at a different projector or just investing in a scaler/doubler.
    Andy

2. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,
    Thanks for the kind words! As nobodys replied Ill jump in!

..This is my personal opinion--& You know what Im going to say here..:)..

The D50HT beats the 400-Specifically in the brightness stakes It will also have a good stab at 1080i(HDTV & HD DVD RES.)

But a true hi-def Capability would be anything that can manage 1920 x 1080-for the extra smidgen of detail-then most 8" crt`s will really do the job..I certainly wouldnt send that amount of money on a D50 without being able to see it -when you can get a TOP 8" for far less.

I know that some 8" may be too large for your room-but some are actually not a great deal bigger than the D50 you looked at..

..And If you can find that extra bit of space? You will be rewarded with a stunning pic!