Change from Plasma to LED or OLED

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Redmick1978, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Redmick1978

Redmick1978
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I currently own a Panasonic TX-P50VT50 plasma, I've had it a while now but the picture for HD images is still brilliant. I realise this question may have been asked a number of times, but is there any point moving to OLED or LED? other than Netflix there isn't a massive amount of 4K content and I can't see HD on OLED or LED being better than what I have.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    Depends how much UHD and in particular HDR content you will use.

Netflix has some titles
    Amazon has some titles
    Apple TV has some titles
    UHD Blu-Ray discs have HDR
    HDR games consoles

HD (not to be confused with HDR), especially if its good quality HD like a Blu-ray or similar will still look very good an OLED but its probably not worth upgrading until you have lots of UHD planned.

It differs from person to person, with some people using more higher quality content than others.

Where I usually recommend people against upgrading is if they still are watching poorer quality material such as normal TV, catch up TV streams etc that are far behind quality wise compared to the latest and greatest.

3. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,702
    Unless you want to go bigger, it would take a lot to beat the VT (I still find the image on my 50GT50 has the ability to wow me after all this time)

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    If you're happy with what you currently have then it's a no brainer, stick with it. However, if you want to go bigger, then it's also a no brainer, it has to be OLED. I really can't imagine any plasma user being happy with an LCD. Bear in mind that there really is no such thing as an LED television.

5. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,702
    :hiya:

Very happy with my LCD :D

6. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Glad to hear it. As a matter of interest, were you a plasma owner before your current LCD?

7. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,702
    I was, and still am, a plasma owner.

8. THX1138UK

THX1138UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Mike,

I have a 50” Panasonic Plasma TV (TX-P50G20B). It will be 10 years old in November. The picture is still as bright and vibrant as they day I bought it. I have had zero problems and it is by far the best television I have ever owned.

In addition to my Plasma’s superb picture quality, I love Panasonic’s simple to navigate menus and it has plenty of HDMI inputs, plus Freeview HD and FreeSat decoders built it.

It’s not worth replacing your existing TV just to get UHD 2160p - the extra resolution isn’t a compelling reason, however I do think HDR and wide colour gamut are now compelling reasons to consider replacing it. OLED is the only technology that ‘looks’ similar to the picture quality you are used to with a Plasma. I think you would be disappointed with the look of an LCD/LED picture coming from a Plasma.

I have NetFlix and Amazon Prime, and both services have a wide variety of HDR content available. I also buy UHD Blu-Ray discs, which I currently watch on a Projector, so I’m keen to take advantage of the extra brightness afforded by an OLED HDR television.

If HDR isn’t important to you, then I would stick with what you have.

Panasonic (In my opinion) still make the best TVs, and because they support HDR10, DolbyVision, HDR10+ and HLG on the 2019 sets, it makes it a no-brainer choice for me.

Richer Sounds tell me that they expect stock of Panasonic’s 2019 OLED range from 27th June...

Regards,
    James.

9. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    There is always an exception to any rule. :rotfl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,702
    Q
    It’s one of the few exceptional LCD TV’s to have been made (and it’s the first time I’ve found an LCD good enough to own as my main set)​

11. anlygi

anlygi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    It really depends on your reasoning for upgrading. I had multiple reasons - wanted to go bigger, wanted UHD for gaming and 4K video content was a bonus. Dangerous game though. I had no interest in 4K Blu-ray and no interest in Atmos yet here I am now having went all-in!

I'm in the exception too :). Moved my 2010 Panasonic plasma to another room 2 years ago and it's still going strong. I didn't even get the best LCD available at the time either! I had a £1k budget and got a Samsung MU7000 due to the review here saying it was the best 55" available for my budget at the time, also helped that it come with a bundled UHD player too. The market leading Sony was over £300 more and didn't come with a bundled player so £500 factoring that in at the time.

12. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    As a matter of interest, what model are you referring to?

13. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,702
  14. Psycho Sonny

Psycho Sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I got rid of my GT50 for an XF90.

You really do need to buy FALD or OLED. Both have their pro's and con's but I don't want image burn or retention and LCD's go much brighter.

I made the jump becuase it's pointless having Sky Q, Netflix and Prime and still using a 1080p tv.

The jump in quality is well worth it. The XF90 has very good blacks. Also the GT50 had horrible banding on things like credits where there was all black screen with moving white text. It would show up elsewhere too.

People are too elitist at times. there is nothing wrong with a good LCD tv especially the FALD sets.

15. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    It certainly received a good review there.

[QUOTE="Psycho Sonny, post: 27190607, member: 254915"
    People are too elitist at times. there is nothing wrong with a good LCD tv especially the FALD sets.[/QUOTE]
    Honestly, I am not elitist, it's just that I personally have never seen an LCD TV that produced such a natural picture as that on a plasma or OLED one.

I know that OLED TVs have their problems too but, to me anyway, the pros exceed the cons.

16. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
  17. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    I don't consider myself elitist, it's just that personally I never seen an LCD TV that could produce such a natural picture as a plasma or an OLED. That said, I do appreciate that OLED TVs have their own problems but I reckon their pros far outweight their cons.

18. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,702
    Indeed

I hadn’t either, but you’d be hard pressed to tell that the DX902 is an LCD with most content.

I considered OLED but I was replacing my main gaming TV and didn’t want the risk of burn in (and having seen some of the comments on here regarding OLEDs of the same sort of age, I’m glad I went LCD this time round).

The 902 isn’t perfect, it can suffer with vertical bands on some content, and some minor DSE on some content (the crap quality of Home under the hammer shows it up, but I have a simple solution to that ;) )

My next TV will likely be an OLED as I tend to do most gaming (and film watching) on my projector these days, as for me, size beats contrast ratio/resolution/HDR.

19. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Yeah there is a lot written about burn in on OLEDs but in my experience it has not been a problem. My first one was an LG 55" 930V which I gave to my mother-in-law two and a half years ago when I replaced it with my current LG 55" E6 for UHD and HDR capability. Neither of these sets have ever shown any sign of image retention, despite me watching a fair amount of news and a lot of football channels with their respective channel icons and scrolling banners. That said, I must admit I am not a gamer so have not subjected either set to that environment.

Apologies to the OP if we appear to be hijacking his thread.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  20. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    Main advice would be to arrange demos of a couple of different TVs even if you decide one technology is better for you.

Also echo re size. From a 50” with sizeable bezels you’d really want to be going to 65”.

21. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    You will want to upgrade your source material as much as you can, especially if you go for a 55". Coming from a smaller HD set to an larger UHD model I find that things that are poor quality are hard to watch. Catchup TV suddenly looks trash and even regular broadcast TV is quite soft.

22. Redmick1978

Redmick1978
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses everyone, I've got some decisions to make. I can't make my mind up

23. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Best of luck whichever route you choose. :thumbsup:

24. BigBee

BigBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Just to add my two cents :)

Our main TV was a Panasonic 42" plasma, which we loved but when we moved to a bigger house a couple of years ago we realised we also therefore needed a bigger screen. Bit of a dilema as our natural instinct at that stage was to simply buy a bigger plasma, but of course by that time they were no longer being produced.

After asking on here and looking around on the net / JL we decided on an OLED. We eventually bought one in December 2017 - an LG 65" E7 which we happened to get an amazing deal on thanks to a money off offer from both LG and JL. It's a truly fantastic TV, best we've owned by a huge margin - even better in our opinion than our plasma.The picture quality still blows us away to this day

I would definitely describe myself as a gamer, I play at least one-two hours most days, sometimes more and we have no evidence whatsoever of any IR. We do mix it up with normal TV viewing as well as movies, which probably helps (even Eastenders looks amazing :)). So, we have zero regrets as you can probably gather.

The plasma's now in our bedroom. We still love it, but not quite as much as we used to :D

25. psychopomp1

psychopomp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Hi
    My 43" Sony XG8396 LCD/LED is as good as - if not better - than my 42" Pioneer 428XD Kuro Plasma. I own both :)

26. movieman1866

movieman1866

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I went from an HD plasma to an UHD LCD a few years ago. The plasma definitely had the more natural looking picture and it took a while to get the LCD settings so that the picture looked decent. It then took quite some time tinkering before I was happy with the picture.
    The biggest benefit with getting rid of the plasma was the saving on the electric bill. I used to have a metal halide light for my marine fish tank, I changed that to an LED light a few years ago. Cost of the new light was £300 but paid for itself within 18 months with the electric savings. Switching from a plasma TV to LCD or OLED won't save quite that much but will be substantial and is worth factoring in on the price of a new TV.

27. stigdu

stigdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    I had a Panasonic GT50 plasma and upgraded to a Sony XE90 LCD telly. More than happy with the upgrade, and the only thing I would have liked is Dolby Vision as the main reason for the upgrade was to watch movies on a bigger, brighter screen.

28. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    Has to be said though with HDR, some of the higher end LCDs electric bill can be greater than it was for Plasma's.

Depends how often you use HDR though.

29. watford hornet

watford hornet
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sky cinema have lots of 4k movies to download(not sure what has happened to the Dolby Atmos titles) and most Sky Premier league football is in 4k and Dolby Atmos

30. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Moved from a THX calibrated Pioneer Kuro LX5090 plasma (of 10 years ownership from new) to a Panasonic 65FZ802B OLED in October 2018 and could not be happier.

The Pioneer is still fantastic but wanted a larger display, so now my sister has the Kuro which replaced her Panasonic 42” plasma. Her husband loves watching Sky HD footy on the new larger screen.

The 65FZ802 is so good out of the box that I haven’t felt the need to get it calibrated. Just a few tweaks here and there in the advanced picture menus. We also have a THX calibrated Sony HW55ES projector for film nights but the OLED gets used for quite a few films now linked to a Panasonic 820 4K Blu-ray player.

We’ve watched 4K programmes on Amazon Prime and YouTube, and the OLED handles them all with great subtlety. The OLED looks very plasma like but better. Motion handling is superb - one area where I was a touch worried coming from a plasma.

Did a fair bit of demoing and research before purchasing the OLED and did try an LG 65E7 OLED for a month at the start of 2018. Could not get on with the motion and picture compared to the Kuro so that was returned.

One thing that really surprised us was how good terrestrial HD and Sky HD is upscaled on the OLED. So all in all we are very pleased with our new TV.