Change amp or add power amp?

pdiddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I currently have an Audiolab 6000a playing into Tannoy XT6F floorstanders. Whilst this combination sounds good, it lacks the 'sparkle' I'm after and that I know the speakers are capable of.

My source is a Raspberry pi with a digi hat through a Khadas tone board, RCA to amp. The system plays into a large kitchen diner around 20x6 metres.

Now my question is would I be better served replacing the amp with something such as a Rega elex-r, or would adding a power amp, using the Audiolab as pre, give me better results?

Thank you for your help.

It's surpose to be a neutral sounding amp, what about trying some silver cable ?

20 meters ?

Mabye try a behringer A800, it won't brake the bank and has the power the audiolab 6000a doesn't have.

I have an Athem A/V amp, and when I 1st bought it, I used it for all my sounds a/v and music. After getting more into music, I stepped the game up a bit and got a PS Audio S300, it was a revelation, now a few months down the line am looking at the PS M700 mono's

That's a fair sized room to fill with just 50 watts into 8 ohms even though the excellent Tannoys are an easy drive at 90dB. If the amp is struggling, especially with the low dips, then a power amp would certainly help if you do like the signature of the Audiolab. Changing speaker cable isn't a panacea and unlikely to influence the audio at all.

Alternatively you could look at a new amp with around 100 watts into 8 ohms and a good power supply which will not run out of puff in that room.

Get a Creek Evolution 100A: that and the XT 6Fs are a wonderful combination.

2x50 watt is okay with 90db but since you have a 20meter long room you would need something like 200 peak (max peak they can handle is 300 watt) so everything above 200 watt pr channel in 8 ohm and you good to go

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, some interesting responses. I'll do a bit of research on the Behringer. Any other power amps that play well with the Audiolab?

Funnily enough I've been offered a Creek 100a and I am giving it serious consideration.

Ok so the options that have presented themselves are.

Add the Behringer A800 to the current setup.

Or sell Audiolab and upgrade to

Rega Elex-R
Creek 100a

These have both been offered as second hand upgrades.

I'm not sure what to do, demoing is difficult at the moment. Cost and hassle wise the Behringer wins all day long. Heart is going Creek....

I do like the sound of the Audiolab though..... Hmmmmm.

20210106_115112.jpg

Just as an update to this. In the end I sold the Audiolab and picked up the Creek 100a.

The new amp has blown me away for want of a better phrase. I'm hearing detail I've never heard before, on tracks I thought sounded good through the Audiolab.

Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations, and yes I need to sort the wiring!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom