1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chance to upgrade my Tosh SD220 to SD330

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by superleeds, Oct 3, 2003.

1. superleeds

superleeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,

I have the opportunity to replace my SD220 with a new SD330 for free.

Could people please outline the differences between the two ? - Is it just cosmetic ? Is the 330 better or worse ?

In fact any information about differences between the two players would be brilliant.

TIA,
    Mike.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty certain that the differences, aside from aesthetics, aren't that great.

Infact I've read that the Toshiba SD330E is actually a lesser player than the 220, due to Toshiba doing the Audio DACs on the cheap so to speak.

I'm sure other forum members will have something to contribute to this however :)

3. superleeds

superleeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's an interesting point - on the Website if gives specs for both and I notice that under the 220 'Enhanced D/A Converter 192khz' is listed, on the 330 this is NOT listed.

has it been removed ? replaced with an inferior component ?

Again any other comments greatly appreciated.

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That might be a factor also.

If they have removed the feautre you mention, it simply means they've taken out of the 220E for the 330E an Audio Upsampler for CD, which quadruples the sampling rate to 'guess' a sound quality closer to the results of SACD.

The usefulness of this feature - however - leaves a lot to be desired. I think - like I said, they've simply kimped on the quality of the Stereo Audio DACs.

This isn't a huge issue really, but apart from that I can't see the performance of the two players being any different at all.

Depends on your appreciation of the aesthetics really.