1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champions League Phase 2. Sign Up Here

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by DanTheMan_77, Mar 30, 2005.

1. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

Following on from the success of Munkey Boy's Champions League night last night. I have decided to stage another. The one night wonder format worked a treat so we will keep with the same idea.

This time there will be 16 players making up groups A B C and D, the top two from each group will qualify for the Quarter finals and so on. Every match will be staged on a Tuesday night (this seemed to suit everyone) and there will be fixtures and times posted 48 hours in advance.

If you are unable to do Tuesdays from 10.30 for the next 4 weeks then please don't sign up.

The group stages of the competition will start on Tuesday 5th April. All group matches will be played in the one evening, with home and away legs to be played. Quarters, Semis and Final dates TBC but will happen within a week of group games.

There are some rules to make the experience as enjoyable as possible: Everyone who makes it into the 16 must own a headset - part of the fun is the banter and it also helps iron out the dreaded lag, which leads me onto my next rule. Everyone must post their connection speed. Anyone on less than 1Mb then sorry you can't enter (I've been there and done it and it isn't quick enough!). Once the fixtures are decided the person with the highest bandwith will host the first game, if the match proves to be a lag free experience then they should also host the following 'away' leg. This makes things easier and hopefully lag free for everyone concerned.

All games will have the following conditions:

Club Teams only
    Normal Condition
    Fair Weather (No rain!!)
    Orange Arena
    Turn commentary off as well

Group games will be 10 mins in length.
    Quarters and semis will be 15 min 2 leg ties. Away goals count double in the event of a draw. Extra time and Silver goal will be on, but in the event of a tie after that, the match will be replayed on a neutral venue (ie no away goals)until a winner is decided. Penalties are too random and cruel a way to go out!
    The final will be 20 mins in length.

More details to follow, but first things first.
    The first 8 people to reply to this thread with their Gamertags and connection speed will be in the group draw. The other 8 are reserved for the guys who took part last night, assuming you are all up for it? Of you eight, please all post by midnight Sunday to let me know you are up for it, otherwise the next 8 names will be included in your place.

I will sort the groups out on Monday and let everyone know what's going on.

So get practicing for Harbinator's April Champions league tournament.
    I can hear that champions league woman warming up her operatic voice!

Cheers Guys

L8rs

HARBINATOR

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    You know I'm always about...hope I get an easier group this time! Is the Final just a 1 game affair then? If so, how do you decide who gets the lag-free home advantage? I've got to say the knock-out stages may be a little spread out - its hard maintaining people's interest over 4 weeks...just IMHO obviously...

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Stick me down, on one condition - that i'm in Munkey's group again :devil:

4. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool! Thought you might be.
    We will have to put in improved performances!
    I had a mare last night, conceeding penalties, getting sent off, missing a hat ful of chances and trudging through treacle for ten mins! I'll sharpen up for the next one! The final could possibly be 2 legs, I'm just hoping that if everyone posts their connections we can get around the lag problem as it's a pain in the arse! Hoping by doing this the people who have higher bandwiths can host. It's just a case of asking whoever you play what its playing like. I hosted both my matches with DJ Baldy last night as it was smooth for him. Doesn't really matter who hosts as long as we can get a smooth lag free game. If lag does persisit in the group matches let it be known and we can change the final to 2 legs if people prefer. I like the idea of a longer one off match for the final personally. With regards to spreading it out, then I can do most week nights, if everyone else is game we could do say Tuesday and Thursday every week.

Well thats one place gone... 15 left!

Come on guys....hope you aren't all running scared!!

HARBINATOR

5. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe cool!
    You fancy your chances against the Munkster then?
    Always beware of the underdog. He'll be out for revenge!
    He's just like City - Unpredictable. Be warned!

14 places left!

6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Sorry lads I won't be able to make this one due early starts, this week is my week off so i'm a bit gutted I missed out on last nights matches.

Oh and I only have a 512 Connection, not that this related to the lag problem, as I know that my connection is capable of smooth lag free games. :rolleyes:

But hope it all goes well and good luck to all those invovled.

Giz.

7. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Giz,

The lag issue is mainly down to Konami and yes I've had a resonable game with you (albeit with a bit of lag).

The bigger your upstream pipe (that sounds a bit nasty!) the better you should be able to host. In theory!!

Just thought it would be worth a try to get eveyones bandwidths and where possible the guys with the quicker connections should host to see if it solves our problems. 9 times out of ten when I've played people of 1MB lines upwards Ive never had a problem with lag. I might be totally wrong as I'm no expert but it something which spoils PES to the point of you wanting to throw your xbox out of the window! I'm sure we can't totally get rid of it, but if it's possible to keep it down to a minimum then it's worth a go.

See this as a guinea pig trial! Be intereting to see how many reports of lag we have.

By the way shame you can't make it. For anyone who hasn't played Giz, he's a top PES player and will give you a great game. 512 should be ok for next time m8, hope you can make it then. Drop me an invite soon, be good to have a match.

Cheers

HARBINATOR

8. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I can't make it either as i get up too early for work :thumbsdow

Is he a top player? cool will have to try and play him, think i've played him once or twice? but he was crap & now never accepts my invites. :thumbsdow

Only messing fella :smashin:

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    This maybe another problem - its not necessarily the downstream, but the upstream. I remember when I was on 512kb ADSL way back when but I had an upstream of 256kb, whereas the 1mb NTL connection only has 100kb upstream.

That could in theory make a 512 connection smoother than a 1mb, so maybe banning 512ers isn't the answer. As always IMHO.

10. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,580
    So we start at 10:30pm and play 6 group games in an evening? Any chance of making it 10:00 pm for those of us that work :D ;)

However, I'll join in. My connection is 1MB (thanks to Pipex for upgrading me in the last week!).

Are teams picked on the night and do we have to stick to the same one throughout?

11. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    We'll have to arrange a game for this weekend via PM or something, it's about time you got taught to show some respect around here....... :D

Yeah, my upload is 256 and usually pretty consistent with it according to them (if you can believe them) speed tests. I'm not sure if the upload speed will increase when I finally get upgraded to 2meg with BT, hopefully will go to at least 512, but I doubt it, does anyone know??

Giz.

12. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is true. It isn't a case of banning 512 guys. Just trying to set some sort of minimum. I've heard of people playing PES of 56k lines!! Not experienced it yet (although I am beginning to wonder with some games!)

Upstream is more important than downstream for hosting (and naturally lag). So you are right, it shouldn't be a case of banning people with 512 because in some cases they may well provide smoother games. I just think for this once, it will be a nice experiement to see everyone playing on 1Mb minimum lines. My NTL is 1MB and I've had no complaints when Ive hosted (even with their tight upstream!) - probably hosted about 20 or so matches since I got upgraded. The majority of service providers have all upped their speeds now and it's only a matter of time beofre everyone is on 1Mb lines.

Knew this would be controversial! But for the sake of it, let's just try it out this once and see how we go.

We can start the group matches next Tuesday at 10pm no probs mate. I work too by the way!! Just saying 10.30pm to avoid nagging!

Cheers

HARBINATOR

13. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    I'll put my name in for this one. Have the next 2 Tues off work and the following 2 I'll be on the early shift.

RobN - KillingRob1 (gametag).

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,970
    It's a bit late for me - how about run 2 cups - an early one & a late one? I also can't say if i'll be free for 4 weeks.

I personally thought that the previous format was great as it wasn't too big, yet it provided a decent amount of games that could be finished in a couple of nights.

I'd prefer 8pm to 10pm sessions myself.

15. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Does it matter what time games are played on a Tues? I mean, if both parties are available at 8pm why can't we play then? Not everybody wants to be up to the early hours of the morning. I mean, I have to be up at 4am to get to work for 5.30am start.

16. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    You will only need to be free for the 4 weeks if you get through to the final :devil: Of course as it's you i'd expect to be playing till the semi's so 3 weeks for you, but for us mortals(well 8 people) only need to have this coming tuesday evening free, and then after that the quarters/semi/final that you would be involved in could be played at an earlier time, it's only really the initial Group Stage that needs to start at 10pm.

So to sum up what i'm saying, gthom you should still enter, play(and win) the group and then for your quarter final game just arrange to play it earlier in the evening.

17. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    I see your point Rob, but as its a one night wonder again its the case that all of your group has to play at the same time, because you have to play all three fixtures one after another.

18. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I am in.

Thanks,

Pete.

19. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    sorry dantheman_77 (harbinator) cannot make these dates - gutted as i could not make the last one either.

if anyone is around and i am online send me a pm and we might be able to have a quick game - if you can get me of splinter cell:CT that is...

20. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I'll be up for some of this one - might actually get a point or two this time as well :)

21. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool guys,

I will make the draw on saturday. Once the groups are decided if the genral concensus is that everyone in that group wants to play at 8 then fine, but everyone needs to agree and play all their group games then. For this Tuesday we will start at 10pm with times and fixtures to be posted. The reason it worked well last time was that people stuck to their times and got the games played. In terms of every Tuesday for the next 4 weeks, that was only a suggestion as Tuesday's seemed to be a good night for everyone. If everyone agrees to it, Thursday same time would mean we can get the tournament decided in 2 weeks. Lets get the group phase over with first and worry about the rest after.

Cheers

HARBINATOR

22. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So so far we have:

Harbinator
    Munkey Boy
    PooonTang
    Monkey Leader
    Captain Benefit
    Homer Thompson
    KillingRob1
    CAS FAN (You in or not??)

Well that's 8. Good enough for 2 groups, but I reckon we can get more than this. Be nice to have 16. DJBaldy and Hammeredit are you guys in??

Cheers

HARBINATOR

23. Top Gunner

Top Gunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll like to join if there are still some places up for grabs?

Not very good though, well I thought I was until I played online. :(

Cheers.

24. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries Top Gunner. You're in! We're all rubbish too!! Only joking. Hope you're not an Arsenal fan by the way..... (hehe)

25. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7 places left guys...

You all running scared...?

HARBINATOR

26. Top Gunner

Top Gunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha ha cheers. I'll look forward to being thrashed by you guys then. :thumbsup:

Yes, I am a Gooner :clap: sorry :D

27. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See you in the FA Cup final (fingers crossed) for another war!!

HARBINATOR

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,970
    yeah go on then count me in!

29. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Harb - do you have a back up plan if 16 people do not sign up? Will you run it as just 8, and if so which 8 people, or will we run with 2 groups bu with 5 in each group?

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,970
    what ever amount of people sign up just make a couple of groups out of them unless we get to 16. Say 2 groups of 5. I guess if we get to 12 we could have 4 groups of 3 with just the top spot in each group going through.