Champions League Final 2005 HD Clip

Dave Gray

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get the liverpool champions league final clip Sky HD have been demoing at Smarthome at the NEC last week? Is it a dealer only thing or can we mere mortals of the public obtain such a thing?

The whole thing was broadcast in HD and some people do have it, I've never seen it posted in the usual places though.

i did manage to grab the whole thing when it was available a while back, stunning quality and if sky hd is as good then we are in for a treat. i seem to remember it hit somewhere around 30-35 megabits which is just lunacy. might explain the top notch quality

30-35mbits? That's a bit dishonest if they're demoing that, since it's probably at least double what they'll use for the real product (maybe even triple).

SKY is using H.264 aren't they. that is more efficient and requries much lower bit rates for the same quality

I've been "looking" for this for a while with no luck, I expect Sky will proably show it on their HD channel though when it is released as they will probably have the rights already.

Would love to see the super duper 30-35 Mit version though!

Sounds like a 30-35Mbs version would have been an off-air recording of the feed used to get the HD Outside Broadcast back to the broadcaster BEFORE they then re-compressed it to around 18Mbs for re-broadcast.

34Mbs is a standard number for hiqh quality distribution (rather than broadcast) circuits. It is, for example, the EBU standard for high-quality SD programme distribution (with 8Mbs circuits used for news-quality SD)

Stuff like The Eurovision Song Contest and The Vienna New Year's Day Concert is likely to be distributed at 34Mbs SD to EBU partners for example.

(34Mbs is a standard telecomms number I believe - as is 70Mbs and 140Mbs? 140Mbs is the BBC standard rate for composite digital feeds of their analogue networks to their regional centres. 34Mbs is the standard for component digital feeds from regional centres back to London)

if i remember correctly the version i had was foreign, possibly swedish, dont know for sure. it was huge in file size though, over 30 gigs

The contribution (OB) feed was encrypted. The recording in question came from German broadcaster Pro7/Sat1, which aired the match in high def and FTA -- with German commentary only of course. At the time they were still testing their high def channel in MPEG-2, but they have since switched to DVB-S2 and AVC.

The average bitrate was actually around 18 Mbps; the size of the full cap was roughly 22 GB.

Cheers.

...I watched some of it but didn't think it was stunning - must admit I didn't really give it much of a go though. 30+mbits though:eek:

Your memory is playing tricks on you… ;) The bitrate was nowhere near 30 Mbps. I dug up and checked my recording before posting my previous message: TSReader clearly shows an average bitrate of 18 Mbps for the video PID.

Abstrakt said:
Your memory is playing tricks on you… ;) The bitrate was nowhere near 30 Mbps. I dug up and checked my recording before posting my previous message: TSReader clearly shows an average bitrate of 18 Mbps for the video PID.

That sounds much more like it. Could the 30Mbs be the reported max bit rate as reported by the MPEG2 header, rather than the actual bit rate.

it was more likely a max bitrate, it was so long ago!

the pq really was stunning though when i viewed it on my pv500

Nope, 18 Mbps was indeed the highest peak. ;)

I found the old thread where we had discussed this before:
[thread]214586[/thread]

Ironically I could very well have been the cause for the “30+ Mbps” confusion: see [post=1696453]this post[/post]. I had tuned in the encrypted contribution feed on Eutelsat W3A and reported the 33 Mbps bitrate. But I did not decrypt that feed of course, and neither did anyone else other than a handful of European broadcasters authorized to receive it.

All recordings came from the DTH broadcast by Pro7, on the Astra 1 cluster, which did not exceed 18 Mbps.

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom