Champions League 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're both distant thirds in your domestic leagues.

I said back when the competition started I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Utd, Liverpool, City or Spurs in the final / good chance of winning it.

Nobody expected Liverpool to get to the final? Not having that - you've done it a few times despite doing nothing in the league and if anything with Salah's form you had an even better shot this season.

You seriously think at the start of the season people expected Liverpool to get to the final. As if

Nobody expected them to beat City, or Roma and we drew quite a few of the group games.

I don't think I ever saw or read anything about you not being expected to beat Roma, that is ridiculous.

If we're being honest, City aside you've had a fairly straightforward draw. Fancy starting again and swapping groups? :laugh:

I remember there was a vote on the BBC and I am pretty sure you were the side expected to go the furthest in the competition after City?, back when the draw was made.

EDIT: Actually scratch that - Champions League: Liverpool the British club most likely to progress, says study

I don't think I ever saw or read anything about you not being expected to beat Roma, that is ridiculous.

If we're being honest, City aside you've had a fairly straightforward draw. Fancy starting again and swapping groups? [emoji23]

I remember there was a vote on the BBC and I am pretty sure you were the side expected to go the furthest in the competition after City, back when the draw was made.

A vote on the BBC which probably had the same Liverpool fans voting that said it was our year in the league.

The odds at the beginning of the season had City and United above Liverpool as well as another half a dozen teams, the only English team we was expect to go further than was Spurs but they had a tough group.

Liverpool made the easy group we had look very difficult.

You always say it's your year in the league. Not you specifically but many Liverpool fans, it may just be tongue in cheek on occasion though.

Whether or not you made the group look difficult doesn't change the fact that you were considered the side most likely to progress, I don't think that does anything to convince anyone that you could be considered underdogs. Incidentally that link above was done by gracenote sports and not the BBC.

You always say it's your year in the league. Not you specifically but many Liverpool fans, it may just be tongue in cheek on occasion though.

Whether or not you made the group look difficult doesn't change the fact that you were considered the side most likely to progress, I don't think that does anything to convince anyone that you could be considered underdogs. Incidentally that link above was done by gracenote sports and not the BBC.

A BBC poll means we was considered the most likely English club to get furthest even though we was 25/1 and 8th favourites and City and United were 10/1 to win it :confused:

In my opinion we are the underdogs, if we turn up on the night we might win it, if not nobody will be surprised except for the spurs and united fans on here it seems.

Aren't Madrid are coming off their worst La Liga season for a long time whereas Liverpool have been in their best form for a few years? Surely that's a better indicator, plus their form in this years competition, compared to what either team were like 2,3 or 4 yrs ago.
It's a 1 off game now, and Madrid are slight favourites.

The bookies would class a massive underdog as 2/1 at best, just checked and you are 8/11. Slight underdogs, not massive.

I agree slight underdogs, not massive

I didn't realise when I quoted an earlier post I said massive, I didn't mean massive.

In my opinion we are the underdogs, if we turn up on the night we might win it, if not nobody will be surprised except for the spurs and united fans on here it seems.
underdog
ˈʌndədɒɡ/
noun
  1. a competitor thought to have little chance of winning a fight or contest.
    "we go into this game as the underdogs"

Hmmm.

IMO you're unclear of the definition of underdogs.

You weren't underdogs in September and you're certainly not in a one-off game.

IMO you're unclear of the definition of underdogs.

You weren't underdogs in September and you're certainly not in a one-off game.
That's your opinion, mine is that we are the underdogs against a team that has proven pedigree at winning the trophy over the past 5 years whereas we've been nowhere near it since 2007.

Also I don't need you to keep posting what an underdog is.

Last edited:
That's your opinion, mine is that we are the underdogs against steam that has proven pedigree at winning the trophy over the past 5 years whereas we've been nowhere near it since 2007.

Also I don't need you to keep posting what an underdog is.

So City were underdogs against Liverpool because they've never won it?

A BBC poll means we was considered the most likely English club to get furthest even though we was 25/1 and 8th favourites and City and United were 10/1 to win it :confused:

Go and read my post again, particularly about the link where I said it's not the BBC, either way it doesn't change the fact you were deemed to be the side most likely to progress. Why is that confusing to you?

:laugh:

I won't be surprised either way, I think the final is a very even game given the performances from both sides in the latter stages.

So City were underdogs against Liverpool because they've never won it?
You mean the team that's won the league after losing only two games this season, Yeh massive underdogs because Liverpool won the trophy in 2005 and last won a trophy in 2012......[emoji42] [emoji42]

I'm not sure why you are mentioning City and Chelsea who have been consistently winning trophies when trying to make a point about Liverpool not being underdogs against Madrid......

Go and read my post again, particularly about the link where I said it's not the BBC, either way it doesn't change the fact you were deemed to be the side most likely to progress. Why is that confusing to you?

You are saying because of a poll we was deemed the most likely English team to get farthest in the tournament yet the bookies disagreed with that massively even with the group we was in.

You are saying because of a poll we was deemed the most likely English team to get farthest in the tournament yet the bookies disagreed with that massively even with the group we was in.

You've just dismissed what the bookies said about the odds in the final though, make your mind up :laugh:

I'd trust sports studies over a bookmakers tbh.

You've just dismissed what the bookies said about the odds in the final though, make your mind up [emoji23]

I'd trust sports studies over a bookmakers tbh.
No I said a bookie wouldn't give massive odds for a final and couldn't really be used as a guide for that.

No I said a bookie wouldn't give massive odds for a final and couldn't really be used as a guide for that.

Were Utd underdogs for the league this season having spent less than City and won it less recently?

Were Utd underdogs for the league this season having spent less than City and won it less recently?
Yes as they've been nowhere near winning it last few seasons.

Bookies will give odds based on many parameters. Any idea what price Wigan were to beat City in the 2013 Cup Final?

19/2.....now that's a massive underdog in a 2 team one off final.

Who cares if we are underdogs? Or favourites? The better side on the night will win. Both sides have strengths and weaknesses.

This underdog debate is going into the annals of AVForums football history, alongside that captaincy one and that one from the other day (can’t remember but the topic but it was riveting!).

Does anybody deny that Liverpool are the underdogs?

I thought the only point of contention was the suggestion that they were "massive" underdogs, a statement that has now been withdrawn.

So what's the fuss about?

This underdog debate is going into the annals of AVForums football history, alongside that captaincy one and that one from the other day (can’t remember but the topic but it was riveting!).

It's not quite there yet, we're working on it.

I just hope they have officials that are capable of doing the job come the final, there's been some dodgy calls in these knock-out games.

Does anybody deny that Liverpool are the underdogs?

I thought the only point of contention was the suggestion that they were "massive" underdogs, a statement that has now been withdrawn.

So what's the fuss about?

The fuss was before the retraction, though it's still there for all to see so not really withdrawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom