1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champ Manager 5 escaped yesterday

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Serpico, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes escaped. It can't have been deliberately released in this state can it?

As most of us know, the developers of all the previous CM games, Sports Interactive, broke up with their erstwhile publishers Eidos last year, meaning CM03-04 was the last SI developed CM game. SI took the database and code with them, whilst Eidos retained the rights to the look and feel of CM. SI released their latest game late last year. Called Football Manager 2005 and published by Sega, it has been almost univesally acclaimed as the best football management game ever, based as it was upon code updated from CM03-04 and featuring SI's own exhaustive database of players from all over the world.

Eidos recruited their own in house development team, Beautiful Game Studios to develop CM5, and gave them a year to produce something to challenge FM2005. It was originally scheduled to be released in November, but that date was put back to the Friday just gone.

So is the new game worthy of the CM name? Is it a challenge for FM2005?

No. It's hopeless. The database seems much smaller than FM or recent CMs. The game engine borders on ridiculous. Almost every game sees over 100 throw ins, yet less than 8 goal kicks. Players stand around and let opposing players much further from the ball just wander up and take it. The database is woefully innacurate. It has John Hartson's as a very fast, lighting accelerating forward that can't jump or head the ball very well. If this was an isolated problem then it wouldn't be too bad, but there are thousands of players in the game that are woefully researched.

If this game was released under any other name it would probably barely sell. But the CM brand is very strong and I don't doubt it will be top of the charts next week. Don't be a dummy though. FM2005 is the game of choice for us armchair bosses. Give CM5 a wide berth.

Now we know why there is no demo available. I wonder if the release was rushed due to the severe financial trouble that Eidos is in.

2. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Almost right :D :D

3. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    There is a 38mb patch already, to version 5.0.1

Quick impressions are that it is difficult to navigate screens, finding the 'continue' button took me ages because it's hidden on a results screen, and the 2-d is hopeless.

Will stick with it for a bit, just to see what happens.

4. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My mini review was of the patched version. The unpatched game was just comical.

I note their forums are down at the moment. The cynic in me suggests that's something to do with not putting of prospective purchasers.

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Oh dear, was waiting on this to decide which version to buy.

On the plus side, the release of this one has rsulted in a £10 reduction for FM2005.

Is there a patch available fro FM2005 that updates the players?

6. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The lastest offical patch for FM comes with a data update from around the transfer deadline. There are also numerous unofficial data updates available.

Did I mention CM5 has no multiplayer elements at all? No? Well I have now.

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i pretty much knew this would suck. i used to be a mad fan of Champ man and ever since CM4 with the match engine i lost interest. dont get me wrong its a great addition but the game i last loved was the previous one to that. i found myself playing it for 10hrs but the newer versions i dont. maybe its just getting older with better alternatives to play

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I haven't really touched FM2005, i've started to get bored of it TBH.

9. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The last championship manager I played was the 97/98 version. Now there was a game. No 2d top down tactical, new fangled match engine. What you got were 3 bars for defence, midfield and attack and each game was a matter of furiously pressing the space bar for 30 seconds.

No faffing about with formations either. One formation could take you from the third division to the Premiership - them were the days. Football manager 2005 - much too complicated for me.

Now excuse me as I go and get my gown, pipe and slippers and read today's newspaper. :D

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I picked up a copy of FM05 for a mate for £17.99 on release. If I remember rightly that was a fairly common internet price at the time.

Personally these games bore the hell out of me but I can see why people like them. The fact that CM5 is out on X-Box & PS2 as well as PC means that they seem to be going at a different market now. Unless the PC CM5 is a completely different game to the console versions (which I doubt) I can't see it having anywhere near the depth of FM05.

To be honest (as Bauer mentioned) this was the obvious outcome. CM is just a brand and CM5 is essentially a brand new franchise to CM4 IMO. It's no more a follow up to CM4 than any other new footie management game as the only thing connecting CM4 to CM5 is the marketing side of things (including the name). As we all know (especially CM fans) FM05 was the real follow up to CM4 (basically because the same people made both games. CM5 will probably sell to an extent based on it's name but I think most real CM fans will have long since bought FM05 instead.

11. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Well you might be right about the game being a tad boring, but the attraction of is to put right those real life results and crap managerial decisions that are made by the manager of your fav team.

i.e. Leaving Defoe on the bloody bench every other game :suicide: aarrrghhHHHHH!!!!!

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Aye don't get me wrong - not really having a dig at FM05, it's just that these aren't my type of game. :thumbsup: