Quantcast

Challenging speaker positioning

SeanRH

Novice Member
I am in a rather challenging position, I currently have a pair of Kef Q15’s sat on Atacama stands driven by an Arcam solo mini. The speakers are positioned either side of the Tv but they are tucked away under the stairs. The bass is quite good, it’s controlled and not boomy, the treble is also ok. My biggest problem is there is no midrange, to the point that my wife would rather listen to music on the Bose mini sound link.

I had thought about replacing the system with a lifestyle option like a Naim Muso but to be honest I am not blown away by the sound and I really like the Arcam as a unit.
Moving the speakers out into the room isn’t really an option but I could replace them if you guys think it would improve things.

DT79

It makes sense that you can’t move them out into the room, but are they in line with the front edge of the under stairs recess (if that makes sense), or back in the recess? If the latter, could you at least move them out that far? A picture would be helpful.

SeanRH

Novice Member
Unfortunately they are tucked under the recess and to make matters worst the left one is close to the underside of the stairs and the right one is close to a corner. It really isn’t ideal.
A smaller, narrower pair of speakers would give me more room around them and I am happy to spend a reasonable amount of money if it would help but if the positioning really is the killer I think I might be stuffed.

DT79

Yeah, I see the problem. I just don’t think that’s ever going sound right. Could you not bring them (and the TV stand too if necessary so everything is level) forward at least to be level with front edge of the recess. They wouldn’t be in the way there would they? I think that will make a dramatic difference to the sound.

SeanRH

Novice Member
I will have a try at the weekend and see what it sounds like, I was hoping for good things from the Naim Muso but it didn’t sound as good as what I have now !

SeanRH

Novice Member
No EQ on the Arcam, i will have a play with speaker position at the weekend. I am thinking of auditioning a Sub/Sat set up with something like Bose Acoustimas, I know they are not exactly "HIFI" but the set up now isn't doing anything great

Damp Squid

Some sound absorption panels behind and if possible to the side will help with reflections.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You can move the speakers farther forward, at least, even with the front of the equipment/TV stand. Generally when speakers are placed too close to a boundary (wall) the bass increases but what you hear is the mid and/or high becoming more recessed and muddy.

Judging from the photo, the tv stand can be moved forward even with or just beyond the "well" that it is in. Then the speakers can be moved forward equal to the front of the equipment stand or just beyond. Also try plugging the Ports to soften the bass.

Some acoustic absorption behind the speakers in the "well" might also be helpful.

Steve/BLUEWIZARD

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As others have highlighted the position of the speakers is wrong - they need to move forward rather than sit within the 'recess'.

I would also consider a different speaker system (assuming budget allows) and your idea of a Sub/Sat 2.1 system is very valid.

Gallo Acoustics is always one to consider - they have a new 'on wall' Sub on the way!

Joe

SeanRH

Novice Member
Cheers Joe those Gallo's look very interesting, I wonder if i could partner them with a BK sub? There is now way i would get a Gallo sub into the room past the missus.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
No problem matching the Gallo's with a more conventional Sub from BK (or any other brand) - we often use them with Velodyne if the Gallo 'Cylinder' is not an option.

Gallo's new Sub is a flat rectangle which can be wall mounted or sit under a sofa :)

Joe

Last edited:

jayoc2k

Standard Member
I have no affiliation to Gallo, I just own a TR-1 sub and would suggest you consider moving away from bookshelf speakers, get something like a Gallo sub and a pair or Adiva satellite speakers.

its a case of the right tools for the job. no point forcing the wrong tools for the job.

it can be any other brand like Kef/B&W satellite combo, I just know the Gallo sub well and their pretty looking satellites (about to buy 2 for my rear cabinets for the same issues you re experiencing). and you can add more at a later date to get a 5.1 if you ever choose so.