1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chalk up another SVS owner on the scoreboard!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ShinObiWAN, Jul 27, 2004.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CS-Ultra arrived earlier today :)

I was pretty shocked when I took it out of the box - its f'ing huge! (forgive the language but that was my exact words when I saw it)

Just a quick question how do I tune the box to 16hz? I have only one port bung, should there have been two?

Any help appreciated.

I'm still setting up at the minute and can't/won't comment on performance until I get everything where I'm happy with it - starting first with the tuning so any help would be much appreciated!

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    [montypython=on]you lucky lucky b******[/montypython]

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    One port blocked for 16Hz and two blocked for 12Hz

4. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian,

I did read the little booklet that came with the CSU but it failed to mention the finer points of port tuning. Or maybe I just skipped through it to fast - wonder why that could be? :rolleyes:

I'm just about to start the positioning, then level/EQ'ing using the BFD and my usual battery of test DVD's and Music.

5. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Fasten your seatbelt and brace yourself :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK please don't shoot me down in a ball of flames for what I'm about to say.

The first thing that comes to mind when describing the CS-Ultra is dissapointment, its not crap but its not good either.

I just don't understand it?

I've EQ'ed the response to this:

[​IMG]

Room size is 4m x 2.8m with carpet and on the 2nd floor with a suspended wooden floor.

Nice and flat with a curve to the lower frequencies for more depth but the whole thing sounds crap and uninvolving. Movies, music you name it and its drab, no attack, depth or slam - I much prefer to use just my mains which provide better bass and only feature 4" drivers in a TL!
    Its crazy because the BFD show a great response but the end result isn't.

Is this what people have been raving about? I went for the Ultra for some more umph - thank god I didn't go with the CS+. It has a ton of power going to it from one of these:

http://www.behringer.com/EP2500/index.cfm?lang=EN

Its running in bridged mode so there's at least 1000w getting to the driver and very probably much more.

Could I have a duff driver? It certainly doesn't make any strange noises and sounds like every other sub I've heard.

Big BIG dissappointment with the SVS. Just as a comparison, two Ruark Logs were giving me a nicer sound than the SVS and this is supposed to be a bad boy - its an over sized dustbin if you ask me.

Will almost certainly be selling this on and my faith in DIY jobs is cemented - I very recently made a great sub for the same price as the SVS, like an idiot I sold it and bought this.

I'll begin troubleshooting as I'm sure something is wrong somewhere, all these people saying its great must mean I either have incredibly high standard or something is duff.

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    If it should fail to please I have started a charitable rescue centre for unwanted Ultras. :)

Out in the countryside with plenty of fresh air. We offer regular exercise on a healthy diet of DVDs and CDs in comfortable, spacious surroundings.

Donations gladly accepted towards the maintenance of this worthy cause.

Remember: An Ultra is not just for Christmas!

Nimby :devil:

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Sorry old chap you posted over me. I had no idea you'd be disappointed with the Ultra. :blush:

Something must be wrong somewhere. I was completely stunned by the bass quality of my PCi from the very first notes. This was after a fairly decent B&W 675 demo just previously and years of using DIY bandpass subs.

Your room is rather small but easily pressurised. Did you try it without the BFD?

Early days yet.... don't be too hasty. :)

Nimby

9. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried it with the BFD in EQ mode and bypass which essential turns off all EQ.

I've sent an email asking for SVS's advice on matters.

I'm sure its not the room as I've had countless subs in here:

Mission 78AS (downward firing sub)
    Ruark Log Rhythm x 2
    Cheap and nasty Gale
    Vibe Gamma
    Servo 15
    PS1000 x 2
    Rel Strata III
    Plus a few DIY subs

All performed as expected given price/performance issues.

I'd rate the SVS on a par with the Strata III at the moment - which is far from the best sub I've had in my room.

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    My experience is that these things are much harder to get right than most other subs. Try lots of different things and be patient.

11. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would seem that way, there's no way I'm believing for a minute that something isn't wrong.

Its getting late now and I've run out of reference level calibration time, so I'm going to have to leave off for tonight - I'm exhausted anyway, I've carried that cylinder to every corner in the room twice! Nothing seems to drastically boost the bass performance to a level that one would expect of a big hitter like this sub. It sounds more like a Rel than a Servo 15 thrasher - now that to me says something is definitely wrong.

Really beginning to wish I'd gone with the PS-Ultra as that would rule out any inconsistancies with the Behringer power amp I'm using at the moment. But as it stands I've have nothing else apart from a 100w BSB plate amp I have from a DIY project - vastly underpowered but I may just give it a go if I get desperate tommorow. Also planning on changing all cables around, reconnecting etc. Basically I'm going to start from scratch again.

Don't seem to have much luck lately, first my brand new PJ died recently and now my SVS sounds like a polite Rel.

12. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Not what I wanted to hear whilst waiting for my PC Ultra! :eek:
    Hope you can sort something out ShinObiWAN !

However, with the seemingly unfaltering praise SVS get not just here, but on pretty much every other site (for their products AND customer service), I would imagine any problem you may have will be sorted out.

Do you have a suspended floor? The only other slightly negative reports I've read have been with people using them on suspended floors..... but equally others with suspended floors have been 'blown away'.

Mmm, keep us posted.

13. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jules,

I do indeed have the sub on the 2nd floor which is a suspended floor.

14. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    If I was in your unenviable position I'd:

a) Check your wiring to the sub.

No stray strands if you're using bare wires. The CS's have a reputation for having inaccessible terminals. Get the sub on its side and check carefully. Use a torch if there's not enough light.

b) Shine a torch down the reflex ports to make sure nothing is blocking them.

c) Try another amp as a matter of priority.

All SVS (including the Ultra) are highly efficient beasts. They will blow your hair backwards on 30 watts! You only need masses of power for the big hitting bass transients like explosions. If you have any other kind of amp handy (including any puny little stereo amp) give that a try.

From your list of subwoofers you must be experienced enough not to be taken in by the dryness of the SVS bass. Just because it's dry doesn't mean it's gutless. It should be terrifying you! Ours did from the start and still manages to shock us. :eek:

Assume nothing. Check everything. Including the obvious. :)

Nimby

15. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,141
    Sorry to hear about your problems Shinobiwan, Hope you find what the problem is. I'd certainly give the BK panel a shot, not as a permanent feature, but it might give you some clues.

Dave

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If all else fails try sending a PM to GaryG who I think is our resident expert in such matters

17. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies.

After spending virtually the whole day twiddling and messing I have finally got something that sounds much... no immeasurably better.

It started off this morning with me swapping the Behringer out for the BK Electric 100w panel amp. Without any setting up I immediately noticed a difference when I ran a frequency sweep. Then put some bass heavy music on... this is more like it!
    After around a half hour I was perplexed as to what could be wrong with the Behringer EP2500 amp. So I began a quick troubleshoot with one of my mains rigged up and the amp still running in bridged as it was all yesterday. I didn't really fancy cranking the volume up too much since my speakers are rated at 60w only and the amp puts out over 2000w.
    What I heard was terrible, the sound was brittle, weak, splashy and a whole host of other word to describe 'bad'. Actually the sound was very similar to a very low bit rate mp3, say 64k or less.
    Scratching my head I flipped the Behringer from bridged back into stereo mode and all was fine again. Clearly something isn't well with the amp and I did try 2 different interconnects and various bits of speaker wire I had in my box of bits, none made a difference, though I didn't really expect them to.

In the end I plugged the Behringer(in stereo mode) back into the CS-Ultra and tried again. Wham!!! Jesus I felt like I'd been smacked around the head when I played back the intro to AOTC, the space ship explosion was intense. I played a few more bass test scenes like Event Horizon, Nemo, U571 all shocked and impressed with equal measure.

I'm now just about to EQ the whole thing again and then never touch another sub for at least another week ;)

Finally I phoned BlueAran where I bought the EP2500 from and I'm having it replaced, the guy I spoke to said it should sound fine in bridged or stereo and that something was obviously wrong.

18. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    So all's now well again in SVS world :rotfl:

19. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Phew! Thanks for letting us know.

20. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yup, great news, I feel a little easier now with going ahead with a PC Ultra, can't wait to get back from the states now so I can get my plan into action :D :devil:

21. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm pleased that sorted :)

22. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well folks I've EQ'd the sub to within an inch of its life and now have a response even Lucas would be proud of.

I'm currently demoing everything and anything.

On the music side I've been listening to:

Chicane - Easy to Assemble
    Eat Static - B World
    CJ Bolland - Analogue Theater
    Massive Attack - Mezzanine
    Tracy Chap AKA (A Face for Radio :D) - The Collection
    Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing

First up was Massive Attack's Mezzanine and specifically track 7 - Man Next Door and track 8 - Black Milk.
    Both of these have some tricky bass which requires good tonal definition, extension and most importantly a flat response other wise you *really* notice the level change as the bass slides up and down in pitch.
    Man Next Door really took me by surprise, its the best I've ever heard it and being a fav of mine I've listened to it many times in demos rooms and the many incarnations of my own system. Right from the start there is a demanding deep and I mean deep bass drum, it absolutely demands no overhang to sound as it should - deep and spiteful. Lesser systems just either don't bother trying to reproduce it since its outside there effective frequency range or it sounds like a blurred wash of bass rather than a tight extended bass roll with an ever deepening decay. It should sound like an abyss of bass rather than a small crack is the best I can put it :)

CJ Bollands Analogue Theater is pretty much run of the mill for bass heads, lots of mid bass smashing on every tune nothing really deep but I threw it in because I like it and I'm familiar with it. Again it sounded as good as the best I'd heard or owned.

A little known track, with bass that extends all the way down to 10 hz and with major bass at 20 - 30hz, is Dionysiac from Eat Static's B World Album. The bit you'll be interested in is the beginning, around 15-30 seconds into the track. What you hear is just totally alien in sound and can be heard as a quick succession of bass thrums but the real interesting part is that it also has a supporting bass note that extends from around 10 - 20 hz which 'rides' alongside this bass thrum. The combination of these two means you can clearly hear the bass but that lower parallel bass note also pressurises the room in such a manner that its as if you are dropping the entire room, with you in it, from a very small height, its hard to explain because its totally alien but everything sort of moves, you can feel the air wooble and everything else in the room! Its very, very cool and great demo material.

The rest where also a big highlight. All in all I think music is the Ultra's strongest area.

Movies that I tested where the usual:

SW: AOTC
    Finding Nemo
    U571
    Minority Report
    Toy Story II
    DTS Demo DVD Vol 7.

I'll save boring all the other SVS owners here by dispensing with any commentary but suffice to say that they were all 'moving' :D experiences.

I cannot stress just how good this sub is when setup, EQ'd and positioned to the best your room allows.
    Its the best sub I've ever had to grace my listening room and amazingly its one of only a handful of subs that I've heard which I would use with music day in day out.
    Some may be wondering if it beat the RE XXX 15" DIY sub I built a while ago - absolutely! Its everything that was but with one big advantage and that is its great with music.

So can you have your cake and eat it? With a CSU the answer is most definitely YES!

23. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Excellent news! :D

Now stop exaggerating or we'll all want one! :devil:

Nimby ;)

24. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a late commer!

Half the people on here already know what I'm on about :thumbsup:

25. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    So what do you really think of it? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

26. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, alright... I'll come clean.

Tom from SVS said he'd send me another two CS Ultra's free of charge if I said nice things about the shoddy effort of a sub that is the CSU.

And so here I am :)

27. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    In ya dreams :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

28. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Glad it's sorted ShinObiwan :smashin:

29. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Amongst the wonderful things about owning and experiencing the bass an SVS sub has to offer, is that (at least for me :D ) you can never get bored with hearing the commentaries of others who are experiencing tracks they have listened to before, but are appreciating a lot more having heard them through their new "beast". In my own experience, my PB2+ just makes me want to listen more and enjoy, and I do!

I am therefore delighted that you are having so many "moving" experiences, and your descriptions alone are music to my ears. So, in the style of the guy from the Vodafone ads. who wants 'more strawberry', I say "more commentary"! :D

30. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Can we please stop all this talk of Ultras and PB2+'s! :mad:

My wife is talking about getting a more powerful subwoofer for her "music"! :(

Apparently our present cylinder isn't good enough any more! She's insatiable! :blush:

If I gave into her every whim where would it all end? :censored:

Yesterday she asked angrily: "Why didn't you buy an SVS years ago instead of those Kans?" :oops:

It's all so unfair. :rolleyes:

If she thinks she's getting an Ultra then she's mistaken! :mad:

I only ask for a quiet life. :lease:

Nimby ;)