Chalazion (eye lid cyst) update and question.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jules, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Over 2 years ago, I developed a chalazion on my right upper eye lid. They are solid lumps, totally benign, painless, but unsightly and make your eye feel heavy.

So 12 months ago I visited my GP to get it removed. They referred me on, and about 7 months later (after lots of stupid and unnecessary consultant appointments and days off work) I had the minor surgical procedure to remove it.

Only, the surgery didn't work... the surgeon simply didn't get it out properly and it re-appeared as soon as the swelling from the surgery started to go down.

So here I am another 6 months later, pretty fed up with this horrible lump on my eyelid, wondering if I should have a second go at surgery.

However, before i do... I want to try something and wondered (as they are apparently quite common) if anyone else has tried what I'm about to explain.

The usual suggestion to help clear them at home is to apply a hot compress (for 15 minutes) several times a day for a few weeks. However, in my case this just didn't work and made it look red and sore.
    I always felt half the reason for this is that it's almost impossible to apply something hot and wet for long enough to be effective. A cloth soaked in hot water goes cold pretty quickly, and although using something like a hot potato wrapped in a towel retains the heat, it does not have the moisture required.

So, I'm trying something radical.. I've started filling the bath with very hot water, climbing in submerging my whole face in the water and holding my breath for as long as possible. The volume of water in the bath means it stays pretty hot for a good 10 minutes, and if I come up for air every 30 seconds my eye gets a pretty good soaking.

I really want rid of this thing and will try ANYTHING.
    Has anybody tried this, or does anybody have any other suggestion shorty of stabbing myself in the eye with a needle (not sensible and not going to happen).

Please don't just suggest seeking medical advice, because in this case I've done that and the NHS class it as a cosmetic procedure now and won't help. I'm also reluctant to pay the £1000 or so it will cost to have it removed privately (which may not be successful any way).

2. phillyd1981

phillyd1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    Antibiotics may help droxycycline or lymecycline (if you can get the gp to issue them)

Massage the lids, 'milking' the secretions out (downward movement on the upper lid and upward movement on the lower lid) with clean cotton buds.

3. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,166
    I'm very susceptible to these damn things. I was told by the doctor a few years ago to use warm compress with Johnsons baby shampoo, and as philly says 'milk' them excretions if they appear. I normally do this using cotton wool and having a kettle to hand to top up. Spend about 10 minutes of each eye though if I get a bad cyst could spend 20 minutes on that one area every day, topping up the water and emptying out the sink when switching from right to left eye or vice versa. It will develop a white head after a few days (or weeks) then you know you have the better of it.
    However December 2012 I got the mother and father of cysts on my upper eyelid on my left eye and it actually affected my eyesight! it was blocking the light hitting my retina, like a false astigmatism. Took months to get rid of that cyst using the above methods and took about a year for my eyesight to come back to normal in that eye.
    I would recommend NOT using eye drops as I strongly suspect they make the cysts worse, but if you suffer with dry eyes use "Gel Tears" 2 or 3 times a week max.

4. jenam93

jenam93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Get a snorkel so you can keep your head under longer?

Use the bowl of hot water and towel over the head method? If you're careful you can do this over a saucepan on a mild simmer to make the steam last longer, though I would not recommend if you have a stove with a flame.

5. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,931
    Petrol, sandpaper and a rusty butterknife are your best bet ;)

You're not going to get any serious medical advice on this forum so just be careful

6. THE_FORCE

THE_FORCE
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,454
    Jules all I can say is that I feel for you.

It's obviously a real drain on your self esteem and you've tried most avenues so far.

Maybe try another private clinic as a last chance saloon?

7. SevloW

SevloW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,174
  8. ScottGTO

ScottGTO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I echo the antibiotics idea. I'm really prone to those as well and have had surgery to remove one in the past.

I was given a low dosage antibiotic to take for six months. Oxytetracyclene I think it was. Seemed to do the job.

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Thanks folks... I think the snorkel idea is genius.
    Will definitely give that a whirl.

I think i've had mine for so long now that it's a rock hard lump and seams to make no difference whatever I do.
    I was also told that a chalazion is a sterile cyst, so antibiotics will do nothing.

I've also been considering getting a face steamer... But I'm not sure if they are big enough to cover face and eyes.

I will continue with the hot bath routine (+Snorkel) for a couple of weeks and see if has any effect.

Once again, thank you all.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  10. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,166
    I would be wary of holding my head over a steaming sink, as that seemed to have the affect before of not only making it worse but spreading it from one eye to the other. Trust me I've had them years, the steps my previous post on here will get rid of it eventually. Patience young Padawan.

11. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Unfortunately, my patience ran out 12 months ago. Hot compresses didn't work for me.

There's loads of stuff about potential treatments... Including apple cider vinegar, or caster oil..but I've not read of anyone who's a had a chalazion for more than a year.

Mine is about 30 months old, and at the moment I can't stop trying to treat it... Which us probaboy maki g it worse. That said, I tried leaving it alone for weeks too, but it made no difference.

If I could find a doctor to successfully lance it from the outside I'd be well chuffed. Unfortunately, most doctors these days don't do any procedures, and the standard surgical treatment is to approach it from the inside. Stupid I think since they can't see it properly from the inside.

12. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Quick update... i've been continuing with the bath soaking and also tried a facial steamer, and I think it might be starting to help. Although it still feels the same size, it doesn't feel quite as hard and I think a tiny white head might be starting to form.

After each soak / steam, I grab a cotton bud and work the softened lump down towards the lash. I then scrub the lashes with a cotton bud dipped in baby shampoo.

Nothing is coming out, but I'm trying to think positive. I mean, if I was being blasted with steam every night I'd want to get out! lol.

13. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,166
    You'll get rid of it 100% definite just keep at it!

14. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Bad news. It's actually getting worse, and is becoming painful.

I'm booked in at docs next week.

15. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,644
    Probably wise... :smashin:

16. koeman

koeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Sterile needle, prick it and squeeze it. Do it! You'll be fine

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  17. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,644
    Do not do this without medical advice.

Forum Rule 28 , paragraph 59... etc, etc...

18. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,166
    It get's bigger and sorer then all the stuff comes out that's normal!

19. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    I really think in my case thats not going to happen. After nearly 3 years the 'stuff' is as hard as a diamond. All I'm doing is damaging the surrounding tissue.

20. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,166
    The hardness is normal if untouched for that length of time. The warm compress draws it out. As it draws it out it will get a bit bigger and you may experience some discomfort. It won't pop but usually overnight the stuff comes out, and blood can come out with it. This is normal. The more that comes out the smaller it will get and more openings will appear on it leaking the stuff until one day it's gone, but not for good. Don't use eye drops is my advise. I clean my eyes every day with the baby shampoo and warm water whether I have one or not to keep the damn things off my eyes.

21. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    An update from me.
    Well, after weeks of hot compresses and gentle massages nothing really changed except inflaming the rest of my eye lid. This gave the impression that the lump was getting slightly smaller...but it wasn't.

I saw a consultant yesterday and he was keen to operate as soon as possible... . He said next week but holidays rule that out, so I'm booked in for 1st April.

However, he doesn't think its a Chalazion as it's unusually well formed. In fact he made lots of 'hmmm' noises when he looked behind the lid. Lol.

Anyway, I'm still walking round feeling self conscious so can't wait to get it sorted.

22. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Operation over. My trouble was not a chalazion at all. It was a very rare type of tumour that is usually found on bony areas...and the surgeon said he had never seen it before on an eyelid and it was extremely difficult to remove.
    After a long time trying, he could not get it from the inside, so resorted to an exterior incision. Basically my eyelid has been heavily traumatised with tissue removed from both sides.

So unfortunately I will have a permanent scar, but leaving it there was not an option. I just feel pretty battered today.

I guess the moral of this story is it really is worth getting these things looked at by someone who knows what they're doing, even when everyone around you tells you it's nothing and will go eventually.
    GP's are not qualified to make a diagnosis either.

Anyway, I'm on the mend. :eek:)

23. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,166
    My chalazion advice is correct - but it won't work on a tumour! Anyway well done on getting it removed. :)

24. borah

borah
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi questshield im new to site found this the other night checkin up on chalazions I got a sty about 12 weeks ago on lower lid left eye under eye and face swelled at the time then spot appeared but never went also when you pull eye down inside were spot is lump on inside and visible on outside of skin like cyst doctor said infected eyelash follicle have had antibiotics and eye drops als o been getting pink eye with it does this happen with chalazion

25. borah

borah
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi questshield im new to site found this the other night checkin up on chalazions I got a sty about 12 weeks ago on lower lid left eye under eye and face swelled at the time then spot appeared but never went also when you pull eye down inside were spot is lump on inside and visible on outside of skin like cyst doctor said infected eyelash follicle have had antibiotics and eye drops als o b

26. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,166
    Hi borah what are you asking me exactly?

27. borah

borah
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Questshield ive not had one of these before so guess what I was asking you was the cysts or chalazions you say you have had many do they look red like a sty on rim of eyelas area but no head on plus if you pull eye down have you had little filled lump inside which also looks visible on outside of eye under sty area is this the cyst

28. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,166
    The cyst is the lump. It usually has a head when leaking which is good. Warm compress every day should bring it to a head. But a doctor should confirm if it is a cyst or not.

29. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    From my experience, if its a chalazion you have a good chance of getting rid of it with the warm compress trick if you only had it a few weeks..

The chalazion usually starts life as a sty that hasn't drained properly.

However, in my opinion... when it comes to stuff like this... GP's know squat. By all means go and see them and head their advice, but if it doesn't work seek a second opinion. Many GP's these days seam to just tap symptoms into a computer and print out a prescription for whatever treatment it recommends. Personally I don't trust them.

It took me over 2 years to get my problem resolved. Don't leave it that long.

30. eduard

eduard
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I uploaded the progression of my chalazion on my right, top eyelid, insightful comments would really be appreciated. I had if for about two months now, really trying to avoid surgery. I am concerned how it looks now than a month ago. If you notice my last image 8.3.14 (currently looks like this) I noticed 3 polyp like red things, as well as my bump not longer white, red instead. Anyway, does anyone know what the polyp things are?? They appeared after about a month when the white bump turned red and it got smaller. At one point it looked like the sarcoideyelid image (very bottom). I'm using antibiotic drops, and few other drops 4-5 times a day. I have tried hot compressions a few times but it got bigger so I stopped. So yeah, mainly concerned about the red polyp like things, I hope its not tumors or cancerous!

Attached Files: