Ch4 and Superman!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,174
    Does anyone know what Ch4 are playing at, last week Superman the Early Years was in 4:3 this week was a repeat.

I am also peeved that once again the have altered the American title for us from Smallville. Like the did with Lois and Clark. After all we do not have Star Trek the Early Years, for Enterprise.

2. mieville

mieville

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The next episode of Smallville to air in the US goes out on the 16th April so perhaps this is why they showed a repeat.

Have a look a this website which lists all US tv programs and their
    airing times. The link is to Smallville.

http://epguides.com/Smallville/

Hope you find it useful.

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've been ranting crazily every Wednesday because Channel 4 insist on calling it 'Superman: The Early Years' which is total crap because there's no such thing as Superman in the damn show. :mad: :mad:

As for the repeats, it's simply because Channel 4 have caught up with the episodes shown in the US, due to their weird way of showing programmes.

The show is still cool though. Just wish we could get some more actual Superman stuff on TV.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

I just want to add to this thread.

Firstly, as others have already said, the reason for repeats on C4 and E4, is because all available episodes have been shown, and no others have yet been aired in the USA. Warner Bros. refuses to let C4 air any episodes before the US sees them, unlike with "Babylon 5" and "Farscape" (as two examples of when we've seen episodes before the US viewers have).

Also, with regards to the 4:3 issue. The problem is a strange one. The show is filmed in 16:9 widescreen, and as such, all Masters received at C4 should be in this format. However, it appears that that may not be the case, and they may have to produce a new Master to air here in the UK. I can't yet confirm if this is the case or not, but it seems to be true.

The only other reason I can think of, is that if this is the case, then when we see future episodes, C4 will be airing them just 24 hours after US viewers see them, and hence there is unlikely to be time for a conversion Master to be made (alongside all the censorship that C4 are making!). Thus, the remainder of this show, is likely to be shown in 4:3.

The good news, though, is that an uncut, 16:9 anamorphic widescreen DVD release is due within the next 2 or 3 months, here in the UK, in two 11 episode boxed-sets - half a Season per set. The retail price will be about £34-99, and the likely certificate for the whole series, should be no more than a "15", at the very most!

I hope this helps you folks a little more. I won't ask you to bother phoning C4, as they're totally clueless about anything! Bear in mind this is the channel, who stopped showing "NYPD Blue" some 600 days ago; cancelled "Homicide", and edited an "18" certificate episode of "Angel" Season 1 for a 5:30pm time slot!!

In my opinion, C4 are completely useless, and should leave all future US imports, to the BBC or Channel 5! I dread to think how "The SImpsons" and "Enterprise" are going to fare with this horrendous channel, especially when "Enterprise" is a widescreen show, and some of the episodes are to be rated as "12" by the BBFC, when they come to release them on video!

Pooch