CEX Postage rates

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fat_Tony, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    HI folks

Anyone know whats going on with the CEX websites postage rates?

It used to be a standard £2.50 for the items in your basket, upto 10. Ive gone to place an order today and it was quoting £15 postage for 10 items

It was working fine yesterday, I've messaged them but wont hold my breath for a reply

2. Van Dam

Van Dam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +800
    I was informed earlier this month at they are in doing a new trial with a new postage rate which is now £1.50 per item (under £50). Anything over £50 is now delivered without charge. I think they were losing a lot of money previously on postage with people buying loads of DVDs or Blu rays and only paying the single standard £2.50 delivery charge.

3. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    They are such a hopeless company.

Adding £1.50 per dvd will sink them I reckon. The likes of Music Magpie and others have more competitive prices now and the quality is far, far better.

I previously ordered quite a lot from them, as recently as yesterday I had 3 seperate dvds, worth about a quid each, show up special delivery. Not one package for the 3 dvds, but 3 seperate packages costing (I'm guessing) over a fiver each on special delivery.

You can send up to 2kg for about £2.80 so that would easily cover 10-15 dvds but these divs insist on sending them all out separately. If they are losing money from postage its because literally no other company would be so inefficient with the postage process.

4. Van Dam

Van Dam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +800
    But they have to send each item individually because the item(s) may not all come from the same store. But you're right, a lot of people who generally buy DVDs will be very unhappy with the new postage rate system.

5. markgodley

markgodley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Better contacting them via twitter if you can.

Unfortunately they have no phone number to call nor can you ring a store directly. Descriptions on the website are average at best, seems ridiculous you can't call a store directly.

6. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Fair point about them coming from different stores, but I can really see the shaving a huge impact on the online sales - perhaps they are trying to scale them back in favour of buying direct from the shops - who knows?

Since amazon allowed sellers to set there own postage rates on dvds, I've noticed a lot of prices on there have got daft aswell.

7. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    I have a contact at the headoffice who I have always gone to with problems. General messages sent through the site are rarely answered. He's confirmed the postage situation as Van Dam mentioned above. I really cant see this going well for them.

They are such a grotty little company with no morals, as others have said I might chuckle a bit the day they go belly up.

8. Se7en

Se7en

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    on slightly different note i apologize is the voucher system working for anyone one cex site?

Trying to add vouchers comes up with system error so cant actually buy anything lol well via voucher system

9. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,848
    ...and hundreds of people lose their jobs.

Not sure why people expect things for (next to) nothing.
    They have to pay postage and when they come from different stores they have to pay it multiple times. Surely you cant expect them to pay all the time or effectively give you free delivery. Not many places will do that, and those that do have the price of delivery already hidden in the price of the disc which is usually more expensive than CEX.

Don't get me wrong, I want a great deal the same as the next person, but they are a business and it cant be cost effective sending multiple items from multiple stores for the price of 1 disc.

I have had a few things from there and never had any issues.
    You could always get them delivered to your local store and collect them.

10. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    When they operate a certain way for many, many years that would be why people come to expect something.

My point was simply that they are no longer particularly good value. Used dvds are fairly worthless with the exception of rare ones so adding a flat increase of £1.50 to everything makes prices unrealistic.

Nobody wants to see job losses but they are a morally bankrupt company. Seeing kids bringing in piles of games and getting fleeced etc, it's no problem for adults but kids don't know better and get extorted.

They ignore customer queries, charge postage but then don't refund it on orders they cancel.

I've no sympathy for them running a postage deal for years that wasn't cost effective. And as previously mentioned, they are even sending out £1 dvds using special delivery fairly frequently, how does that even happen?

I wouldn't want to see the stores go, but the online side of things is an absolute joke.

11. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,848
    I wonder how their online store does in comparison to their physical stores?
    Would you be more likely to shop in store than online now due to the price increase in postage?
    Perhaps that is their end game, to get more people in, and therefore make more money and save more time.
    I have possibly bought 3 of 4 discs from their online store and never multiples yet (last one 2 days ago, paying £1.50 delivery), yet tens of dozens in store.
    £2.50 delivery is far worse to pay if you only want 1 disc. In fact I did just that, I bought a Manx TT disc for around £6 or £7 and had to pay £2.50 delivery. Where £1.50 would have been a lot more fairer.
    You don't want to pay £1.50 on a disc for a disc worth £1, but they don't want to pay delivery of £1+ on a disc that they are selling you for £1, it just isn't a good business model.
    Buying 2 discs and paying £3 delivery (2x £1.50) still isn't too bad, but I agree £15 for 10 discs is a little rich (perhaps they should have a 'upto' figure). However, it may still be cheaper than driving to a store, paying to park and driving back again.

12. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +861
    i go instore for CEX i go there for last gen stuff and theyve put there prices up 50p on every game.