Quantcast

CES VIDEO: The Best TVs of CES Round-up

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Great round up.
Phil, really appreciate all the coverage including great interviews, video coverage and for getting it to the UK viewers very quickly.
Sounds like it’s going to be another busy year, looking forward to all the future content including the amusing podcasts.
Thanks for also including realistic date for micro-led, sound like it’s a pension dream for me now :)

Last edited:

SonOfSJ

Comprehensive round-up.

You may not have seen my Question 2 in post #7 in the thread following your interview with Sony's Gavin McCarron, but it's interesting that you touched on maybe having to review certain very large items away from your reviewers' own houses.

bootstrapwill

Excellent round up once again.
Thanks for all the informative information and keeping us all up to date. After browsing the internet after CES it really has made me realise once again how good AVForums really is compared to other sites. I’m becoming quite annoyed how most publications will call their first look at a product a ‘Review’ and then give it a breakdown of pros and cons. How can they seriously do this?
But thank you again Phil and team for being the best place for information once again.

Toon Army

Good round up Phil and agreed with your best in show nomination, albeit the kids here voted for the LG when I showed them your video.
I continually expected to hear a can of beer being opened out of shot and then Ed to suddenly appear from nowhere.
Would Steve swap his LG for the Panasonic?
Look forward to the coming launch events and your coverage.

steviedr

Distinguished Member

onewingedangel

Be interesting to hear if you got a chance to look at Hisense's ULED XD screen. Even if it's not coming to the UK this year, the dual LCD module technology sounds interesting and also cost effective, the question though is does it work?

gadget man

Very impressive coverage of CES.
I am tempted with the Panasonic TV just waiting for price, which probably will be out of my price range.
End of year and it's £3000 65" i'm all in but doubtful.

bertha

Very professional and very informative thanks -

Ps you look like you’ve lost some weight Phil - keep up the good work on both counts ;)

B

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Phil, as always, a very interesting and informative review of your time at CES for which, many thanks indeed.

Keep up the good work for 2019.

Martin.

Farnsworth

Novice Member
Nice round-up!

One remark: Phil talks about Panasonic vs vaporware / technology showcases, and says: "Let's face it, apart from LG nobody else has actually announced their model numbers and what the TV's are actually going to be" and "they haven't actually given us any specific products to look at".

This seems like a bit of a mistake, as later on in the video he talks about various specific new Sony TV models that he has seen, and which are in fact all prominently featured on Sony product pages worldwide.

Toon Army

Nice round-up!

One remark: Phil talks about Panasonic vs vaporware / technology showcases, and says: "Let's face it, apart from LG nobody else has actually announced their model numbers and what the TV's are actually going to be" and "they haven't actually given us any specific products to look at".

This seems like a bit of a mistake, as later on in the video he talks about various specific new Sony TV models that he has seen, and which are in fact all prominently featured on Sony product pages worldwide.
Give Phil a break. He has covered the show single handed this year when there have been three of them in the past. Still the best CES coverage in my view.

encaser

Great work overall there @Phil Hinton
All the main bases covered and a few unexpected extras to keep things spicy. All of which come across in a personable and informative manner which is not easy.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Nice round-up!

Yes, it was an oversight on my part. I had made some notes but there was no script, so I just forgot that Sony had also released model details. Not easy standing in front of the camera with nobody else to pick up on what you may have missed. It was late at night editing the video when I realised my mistake, but nothing I could do about it by then, sorry.

Rob20

Give Phil a break. He has covered the show single handed this year when there have been three of them in the past. Still the best CES coverage in my view.
Why was it he was the only one?

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Why was it he was the only one?
Ed didn't know where he would be with things going on with his life, so couldn't commit to going this year, and Steve didn't want to go and wanted a break from CES, and he is also freelance now. I enjoy the show and don't mind covering it as best as I can on my own.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Be interesting to hear if you got a chance to look at Hisense's ULED XD screen. Even if it's not coming to the UK this year, the dual LCD module technology sounds interesting and also cost effective, the question though is does it work?
Linus Tech Tips found the Hisense ULED XD interesting:

F G

Novice Member
No thoughts on Sony CLEDIS - I heard it was running GT Sport @ 8K - very interested in hearing about how that looked.

davidcrofter

Great coverage Phil. Sad that you lost your glamorous assistants for this year - hopefully they will be back next year as it can't be much fun producing all this great content on your lonesome.

This year looks like it might see the emergence of TCL as a major player but some of those releases sound a bit sketchy to me. Hopefully they have everything ready for the end of the 3rd quarter or they would be as well just skipping the year in all honesty.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
No thoughts on Sony CLEDIS - I heard it was running GT Sport @ 8K - very interested in hearing about how that looked.
There are some shots of it in our Sony video. It's not a consumer product and is not available in consumer screen sizes. It looks the same as it did for the last two years as a professional advertising display and large venue product. Sony has no plans for it to be a consumer TV, so we didn't cover it in any depth.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Hisense never got back to me to arrange an interview and I was so busy that I just didn't have time to turn up on spec. It's one of those things that happens.

cooperda

Well done Phil - lot's of great content. My only 'request' is to cut down on those 'speeded up' clips at the start of many video reports. I have to cover my eyes or jump into the video as they send me very dizzy (sorry)

Nice to see that Samsung and LG are being pushed/overtaken? by the likes of Panasonic & Sony :)

Trending threads

Latest News

TV shipment forecasts slashed for Q2 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Display to quit LCD production
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony XH81, XH80 and X70 TVs now available in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV sales rise as UK stays home