CES VIDEO: TCL Show next-gen Vidrian Mini LED, plus QLED models coming to UK

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Phil
ALongside MicroLED, what TCL did with the mini led innovation is the most exciting things I Heard about tv....
It will be available far faster and cheaper than micro led...Mini led is starting to grow especially for gaming monitors...Dell small 4K monitor with 2000 zones (doubling the Asus zone count) and thousands of mini led is incredible for circa 30 inch..

Really like TCL too and their use:collaboration with Roku...

Last edited:
They've also clearly been following continuing concerns over screen burn and using it as a selling point, what with his saying you can keep on a channel for a month and not worry yourself over burning logos in.

Thanks Phil,

These TLC sets are looking great, be really good to see one turn up in the UK for you to do an in depth review but looking at your video from CES they produce a quality picture and that 5mm TV depth is really nice.

"If you watch CNN for one month, you won't have CNN forever on your screen".
"You don't need to go to the basement".

:laugh:

Now that's how you do an interview - straight to the point and none of the dancing around the elephant in the room. What products are coming to the UK market big man and when??

Good interview Phil.second most exciting thing alongside micro led
Can you please shed some lights on:
1. What do you think of TCL?. Big in America with Roku apparently..they seem better than hisense.
2. Product coming to U.K. seems to be middle range....I didn’t hear any flagships
3. This vidrian approach seems interesting...he also showed the future 5mm tv ? Can u please clarify
4. I heard they going with google in Europe. Why not Roku tv operating system?
5. Caleb seems to be very excited with tcl. Waiting for your reviews before we talk
6. What impressed you the most?

Thank you in advance.

Marek said in the interview they wanted to create an Android footprint in Europe first and then see how and when the TVs arrive. So I'm not expecting the 75" miniLED this year but who knows if it'll make it October...

I am really impressed with TCL, here they are talking about active matrix mini LED with 5000+ dimming zones for a 75 inch tv! There was so much information present that I watched the interview twice. These detailed video product talks would really benefit from having an accompanied table of product(s) information and release/feature road map along side the news video. Maybe this can be added later?

I can see myself considering buying one of their larger active matrix mini LED or their QLED TV's this year, a statement that surprises me as have been previously LG/Sony/Samsung focused. Good work TCL.

I am really impressed with TCL, here they are talking about active matrix mini LED with 5000+ dimming zones for a 75 inch tv! There was so much information present that I watched the interview twice. These detailed video product talks would really benefit from having an accompanied table of product(s) information and release/feature road map along side the news video. Maybe this can be added later?

I can see myself considering buying one of their larger active matrix mini LED or their QLED TV's this year, a statement that surprises me as have been previously LG/Sony/Samsung focused. Good work TCL.
I agree with that statement providing:
1. REVIEW confirms the overall performance
2. Products are available to buy
3. Prices are competitive

What is nice is that they may have a genuine good product to compete with oled properly.
Wait and see, like my English friends say...he proof is in...🎂🎂

I agree with that statement providing:
1. REVIEW confirms the overall performance
2. Products are available to buy
3. Prices are competitive

What is nice is that they may have a genuine good product to compete with oled properly.
Wait and see, like my English friends say...The proof is in...🎂🎂
And 4). They improve on picture processing.
I think your 2. will be the sticking point until next year at this rate. Marek said last year may see the minLEDs by year's end here but no and that video doesn't suggest this year again.
The only positive will be that the US will have got the sets that get improved on by the time we see them - assuming we don't get the older/lower lines like TCL have done with Europe thus far...

And 4). They improve on picture processing.
I think your 2. will be the sticking point until next year at this rate. Marek said last year may see the minLEDs by year's end here but no and that video doesn't suggest this year again.
The only positive will be that the US will have got the sets that get improved on by the time we see them - assuming we don't get the older/lower lines like TCL have done with Europe thus far...
Can’t agree more....my 1 included your 4 and everything else. Supply is problematic indeed for European market/U.K.

Something else I noticed which is confirmed by another site todayFlatPanelHD (see extract below)...

“TCL's roadmap includes more advanced miniLED LCD TVs with more dimming zones (and an active dimming matrix) as well as the super slim prototype seen below. However, challenges remain as the prototype had a very visible backlight matrix structure resulting in a dark grid pattern across the screen. The thinness of the display on the other hand matches OLED, which is an impressive achievement with an LCD TV.”

So I am starting to think Samsung micro led is the best chance to see something accessible within 2-3 years...unless samsung needs more time...

TCL could still surprise us but they have to get it right

Last edited:
Can’t agree more....my 1 included your 4 and everything else. Supply is problematic indeed for European market/U.K.

Something else I noticed which is confirmed by another site todayFlatPanelHD (see extract below)...

“TCL's roadmap includes more advanced miniLED LCD TVs with more dimming zones (and an active dimming matrix) as well as the super slim prototype seen below. However, challenges remain as the prototype had a very visible backlight matrix structure resulting in a dark grid pattern across the screen. The thinness of the display on the other hand matches OLED, which is an impressive achievement with an LCD TV.”

So I am starting to think Samsung micro led is the best chance to see something accessible within 2-3 years...unless samsung needs more time...

TCL could still surprise us but they have to get it right
I think TCL will sort it long before microLED mate. Their issues sound much more doable and it's only year two for them and they've increased zones etc. already. Monitors (pro) are already en route which are very demanding, so it looks brighter.
The exorbitant price for microLED speaks volumes really. And you can't help but wonder how many people will be happy at the idea of putting their TV's together like LEGO!!!

it’s long but very interesting.
I didn’t know tcl showed a micro led prototype too?
Generation 3 seems super impressive...2 years away...
He seems to know his staff....he just got the zones wrong on generation 2 (5000, not 2000)...and I think he smokes for generations 3 !!! No way it is that high in term of zones...
Still, generation 3 mini led is super impressive

Last edited:
Frankly, tcl got me more excited about mini led...at least it is within reach and well known...
That generation 3, can someone confirms the mini led and zone counts please...generation 2 is known (25000 mini led, 5000 zones on 75). Correct me if I am wrong

Don’t doubt micro led is the future but we talk when it is refined and within reach of mortals..

Microled is the future. You can't beat pixel level control. Plus micro can hit million nits and over. Maybe Blue led with quantum dots on top

Microled is the future. You can't beat pixel level control. Plus micro can hit million nits and over. Maybe Blue led with quantum dots on top
Million nits? Er, I think viewers eyes would be ash.:D

Million nits? Er, I think viewers eyes would be ash.:D
F7AF8525-602E-48FA-ABF4-0831A7207FF4.jpeg

Future is bright :)

Check out from 18:39. Beijing Optical Electronic 8K 75" LCD MiniLED with 10,000 FALD zones. They say here it's 2000 nits, but in a separate interview, the CEO of Rohini (the American here) said they could get it to go to 6000 or 7000 nits. Claim it will go on sale at the end of the year, I'm not convinced, though, but we'll see...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom