CES VIDEO: Sony launch ZH8 8K, A9 and A8 4K OLED TVs and XH90, XH95 4K FALD TVs

Brief mention of 48" OLED at 6:15 into the video. Not many details, apart from more "more news later on in the year". Wonder (1) when it will come out, (2) if the A9 range gets an update, whether this will be part of the updated range with whatever new features that entails.

Interesting new User Interface. But not clear yet which TV’s will get this new User Interface. Also could it be updated on all Sony TV’s that support Android 9?

No mention on Disney+ or AppleTV+ roll out dates in Europe and on what TV’s. There is some loose information on Sony EU site about AppleTV+, but nothing on Disney+.

Atleast LG confidentially showed off both Disney+ and AppleTV+ icons on WEBOS at CES 2020.

Thanks for the video Phil Hinton.
does the XH95 have more area than the XG95?

Is it just me or have Sony literally updated next to nothing from their 2019 range of TV's?

Nothing to get excited about with this year's CES and Sony as usual has nothing interesting in both LCD and OLED front. Their OLEDs are expensive compared to their rivals and performance is not better either. On LCD is the business or shall I say, boring as as usual, with nothing new.

I would have though they would get a Mini LED out as FALD LCDs sets are getting surpassed in terms of picture quality by the emergence of these new tech (within the LCD LED process) from the Chinese companies which brought models out end of last year but both Samsung and Sony have decided to sidestep for consumer model for 2020.

Updated interface looks good. But apart from that nothing new or exciting from Sony this year. Same old waffle, and the reply with regard to the black bars lighting up was :facepalm:

Sadly, it is the same disappointing news from Sony...nothing compared to Samsung micro led and TCL innovative mini led.

Still, a new super cheap X1 Ultimate Plus ? on approach for IFA Berlin (French source avcesar at ifa after talk with Sony engineer. 30-50 percent more powerful with double capacity to analyse objects 100 to 200) and should hopefully coincide with a new TV.

My money is on oled BUT more on a mini led lcd tv...cledis will be unlikely but who knows.

The hint is how they called this fald and dropped the 9 for 8...ZD9, ZF9....ZH8?
I could be smoking but I can see a proper ZH9 at IFA Berlin sept2020...time will tell...not holding my breath anymore with Sony...

My biggest worry is not seeing 4k tv at the top range with that 8k focus...

Unbelievable, people complaining about nothing new from Sony.

You must have missed it, but the BIG NEWS is a BACKLIGHT REMOTE CONTROL. Is that not enough?
Ha ha ha good one indeed
To be fair, I am intrigued by implementation of x motion clarity on oled? Worked very well on lcd so could be superb for motion...
Need to wait for reviews

the XH90 has 50 Hz panel ! :(
CES 20> 4K Ultra HD LED TV Sony XH9005, 4 Full LED models from 55 '' to 85 ''
Reminder of the key characteristics of Sony XH9005 TVs:
• Ultra HD panel
• 50 Hz panel
• 10 bit panel
• LCD panel
• Processor: X1 4K HDR
• Wide Color Gamut function
• UPnP multimedia gateway function (DLNA)
• RGB Triluminos function
• Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR function
• Object-based Super Resolution function
• Screen Mirroring function
• X ‑ Reality Pro 4K function
• X-Clarity Motion function
• Acoustic Multi-Audio function
• S-Force Front Surround Technology function
• Object-Based HDR Remaster function
• CalMan Ready function
• Ambient Optimization function
• NTFS compatibility (via USB)
• Miracast compatibility
• HDR Dolby Vision compatibility
• HDCP 2.2 compatibility
• Wi ‑ Fi compatibility
• HEVC compatibility
• NFC compatibility
• Netflix Calibrated Mode certification
• Multimedia Smart TV Android 9.0 (Pie)
• Multimedia AirPlay 2
• HomeKit multimedia
• Multimedia Works with Alexa
• Full LED Local Dimming backlight system
• DVB ‑ T2 tuner
• DVB ‑ C tuner
• DVB ‑ S2 tuner
• Other: Possibility of positioning the feet at the ends of the TV or centered under the slab

So Sony just continue to push their audio rather than actually improve the display well done

the XH90 has 50 Hz panel ! :(
CES 20> 4K Ultra HD LED TV Sony XH9005, 4 Full LED models from 55 '' to 85 ''
Reminder of the key characteristics of Sony XH9005 TVs:
• Ultra HD panel
• 50 Hz panel
• 10 bit panel
• LCD panel
• Processor: X1 4K HDR
• Wide Color Gamut function
• UPnP multimedia gateway function (DLNA)
• RGB Triluminos function
• Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR function
• Object-based Super Resolution function
• Screen Mirroring function
• X ‑ Reality Pro 4K function
• X-Clarity Motion function
• Acoustic Multi-Audio function
• S-Force Front Surround Technology function
• Object-Based HDR Remaster function
• CalMan Ready function
• Ambient Optimization function
• NTFS compatibility (via USB)
• Miracast compatibility
• HDR Dolby Vision compatibility
• HDCP 2.2 compatibility
• Wi ‑ Fi compatibility
• HEVC compatibility
• NFC compatibility
• Netflix Calibrated Mode certification
• Multimedia Smart TV Android 9.0 (Pie)
• Multimedia AirPlay 2
• HomeKit multimedia
• Multimedia Works with Alexa
• Full LED Local Dimming backlight system
• DVB ‑ T2 tuner
• DVB ‑ C tuner
• DVB ‑ S2 tuner
• Other: Possibility of positioning the feet at the ends of the TV or centered under the slab
Can’t be right...must be a mistake

he says 4k looks better on there 8k tv's than it does on there 4k tv's hmm...

1 to 1 pixel mapped 4k image on a 4k tv inferior to a 4k upscaled image on there 8k tv

Last edited:
he says 4k looks better on there 8k tv's than it does on there 4k tv's hmm...
4C1AEB7A-4499-47AB-9907-5A97D6808C6C.png

Sadly, it is the same disappointing news from Sony...nothing compared to Samsung micro led and TCL innovative mini led.

Still, a new super cheap X1 Ultimate Plus ? on approach for IFA Berlin (French source avcesar at ifa after talk with Sony engineer. 30-50 percent more powerful with double capacity to analyse objects 100 to 200) and should hopefully coincide with a new TV.

My money is on oled BUT more on a mini led lcd tv...cledis will be unlikely but who knows.

The hint is how they called this fald and dropped the 9 for 8...ZD9, ZF9....ZH8?
I could be smoking but I can see a proper ZH9 at IFA Berlin sept2020...time will tell...not holding my breath anymore with Sony...

My biggest worry is not seeing 4k tv at the top range with that 8k focus...
Yes, there is a rumor that Sony is getting a high spec OLED out to replace AG9 later in the year. However that would be ridiculously expensive compared to rivals and we know AG9 does not set the world in fire, compared to the Panasonic GZ2000. I doubt you'll see another high end LCD model in Sept, but could be wrong.

Sony has given up making high end LCDs when they used make the legendary ZD9 or XE93 but now makes FALD sets which has better viewing angles but poorer contrast.
Mini LED sets are natural successors to FALD LCDs but like to see the big boys; Sony & Samsung bring them out, rather than cheap Chinese makes which though innovative are not that desirable and picture processing are not top notch.

Last edited:
Yes, there is a rumor that Sony is getting a high spec OLED out to replace AG9 later in the year. However that would be ridiculously expensive and compared to rivals and we know AG9 does not set the world in fire, compared to the Panasonic GZ2000. I doubt you'll see another high end LCD model in Sept, but could be wrong.

Sony has given up making high end LCDs when they used make the legendary ZD9 or XE93 but now makes FALD sets which has better viewing angles but poorer contrast.
Mini LED sets are natural successors to FALD LCDs but like to see the big boys; Sony & Samsung bring them out, rather than cheap Chinese makes which though innovative are not that desirable and picture processing are not top notch.
I really hope Sony didn’t completely given up on mini led and cledis but don’t rely on them anymore...
Samsung will focus on micro led..
Tcl impressed me more and they are very strong in USA...they may surprise us all...
It is going to take a couple of years for sure but happy to wait...
Find It exciting aka micro and mini led...

Updated interface looks good. But apart from that nothing new or exciting from Sony this year. Same old waffle, and the reply with regard to the black bars lighting up was :facepalm:

I thought his black bar answer was pretty truthful - of course he wouldn't be saying that if Sony didn't have an OLED range.

I thought his black bar answer was pretty truthful - of course he wouldn't be saying that if Sony didn't have an OLED range.
I understand that argument but imo I got the vibe that "if you don't like it buy oled" as a way of promoting oled as they're not bothering with lcd anymore. He even said that the xh90 is a replacement for the xg85 so to me it looks like the xf90 got split into 2 models and the 55xh95 now has wide viewing angle?

Sony reached it's peak in 2017 with zd9 and xe93/xe94 and the xf90 was the last decent led fald tv they made.

@Phil Hinton

Thanks for the great video and nice to see Sony still carrying on with high quality FALD TV sets.
Is there any way of you finding out how many FALD zones these new 85" & 75" 8K and 4K sets have ?
I have a Panasonic DX902 with it 512 zones (from memory) and also have the Sony XE9405 which only has 256 zones but the Sony's blacks are inky black as they are on my DX902 but are Sony increasing the FALD zones on these newer sets or decreasing them ?
Regards Bacus

Will the XH95 have more zones and better native contrast ratio than the XG95? I hope the addition of the forced X-Wide Angle on the XH95 does not make the contrast worse than the XG95.

i think it was mentioned that the 48” oled would have acoustic surface audio+ setup?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom