CES:Samsung 2012 plasma links

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Scooby2000, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,378
  3. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I think the 'smart brain' is a neat idea, but also an implicit recognition that actual screen quality has pretty much got as good as possible. The major changes are now in the processing power of the set and the apps it is running, not the physical properties of the display itself. So intead of replacing the entire set you just upgrade the CPU.

This makes sense, I have just bought a 59" set and to be honest I can't imagine many domestic homes could take a much larger set, and the limiting factor now isn't the screen, its the quality of the signals I can send at it.

Which is all good news for us AV buffs, as to be honest most of us can already do many of the touted 'smart features' through a multitude of devices, and many don't really care anyway. Certainly for me the 'smart TV' stuff is a side show and what I really care about is PQ. So hearing that PQ is now as good as its going to get this side of OLED make me very happy having just shelled out for a 2011 Plasma :)

As for OLED, I'm sure this is the future of AV, but it's still years off of being the smart choice. Firstly it's going to cost a bomb now, and secondly I wouldn't touch a new technology like that with a barge pole until it was a few years into general release. Think back to how long it took to iron out the bugs with Plasma screens, you can guarantee that OLED will have teething issues as well, and they are likely to be the kind of thing that drive AV folk nuts. Better to let rich folk with more money than sense buy the new sets now, discover all the oddities of the technology and give Samsung a couple of years to correct them, then a couple more to refine tham and make truly reference quality sets. I recon OLED if five years away from being the 'go to' choice for AV, which just happens to be my usual screen replacement time :)

4. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    Actually I find this quite interesting/ promising

But more the point this-

An extra size in their new E8000 series I think makes things FAR more interestingly as the price between the D8000 and the replacement D6900 counterpart would have to be far closer than the 59- 64 is currently.

Im interested to see the price points of this I must say- more so if theyve kept them the same price or managed to even bring it down somehow.

5. BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    They don't necessarily sell all the different screen sizes in the UK. The D8000 comes in 51",59" and 64" in the US already.

6. sypack

sypack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This plasma looks exactly the same as last years model. This smells like samsung is giving up on plasma now that they have OLED.

7. BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    That's a bit unfair. They have changed the colour of the bezel!

8. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    OLEDs going to take a few years to roll out yet. All plasma manufacturers seem to be looking more at features now, I think plasma and a LCD is near the the end of the line with regard to any major improvement, costing too much to be profitable in this climate.

Id say 5-6 years and OLED will be at a point where its a viable option for most, maybe even 8-9 years. Dont forget how long LCD and plasma has taken to get to this point.

9. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    :laugh: A big plus in my book:laugh: If they have improved the black level and got rid of bugs then its going to be a great set, colour repro was already good on the 2011 sets. You cant expect huge leaps year on year.

10. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I think it's less giving up on Plasma than the technology now being mature. There isn't much more for them to do with the displays themselves, they are pretty much as good as they can be with the current technology. Hence all the focus is now on what you can do with the screens rather than making better screens.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  11. deon444

deon444
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,099
    Think i read that the black levels have improved 10%,so with that,how much difference will that make compared to the Vt30 black level?

Samsung seem free of 50Hz problem so with improved blacks and more than likely a cheaper set,improved looks.i may be inclined to jump the panny ship onto the sammy one.

And as for black levels,LG claim to have improved black levels by 40%,how bad must they have been then

12. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    New vids up of the 6,7 and 8 series 2012 sets.:)
    Links on post one.
    Sadly little info, but they're looking good and Steves smiling which is a good sign.:)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  13. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,450
    Steve provides some further meat to the bones in his Day 2 Blog and I'll try and get a write up done tonight if I can get hold of some official specs etc