CES NEWS: Filmmaker Mode supported by LG, Panasonic and Vizio at CES 2020

Massive pinch of salt.

From all I've read so far on this subject, I'm assuming this mode will just disable any motion smoothing... <chortle>

Just cant help feel that these kind of gimmicks, like with the Netflix Mode recently, is ultimately just marketing guff & they're coming up with these things because the differences in these top end sets is so incremental at the moment. So, like the mobile phone manufactures, they're having to find new ways of making newer models 'essential'.

Or not...guess we'll see...

Massive pinch of salt.

From all I've read so far on this subject, I'm assuming this mode will just disable any motion smoothing... <chortle>

Just cant help feel that these kind of gimmicks, like with the Netflix Mode recently, is ultimately just marketing guff & they're coming up with these things because the differences in these top end sets is so incremental at the moment. So, like the mobile phone manufactures, they're having to find new ways of making newer models 'essential'.

Or not...guess we'll see...
They are not gimmicks, the modes are set to match professional standards used in the production of film and TV content, so you can see it as intended.
TVs are sold at present with all the processing gimmicks, like soap opera effect smoothing systems, switched on and hidden away in menus that your normal consumer will never find or attempt to mess with. As such the Filmmaker mode, like the Netflix one, is an option to switch the TV into the most accurate image settings possible on that TV.

I can only see this as a positive as it gives the user a choice to disable everything and see content as it is supposed to be seen. The processing gimmicks are still there for those who want to ruin film and TV content by adding extra sharpness and smoothing, so everyone, in theory, will be happy.

Something like Filmmaker mode works now because TVs are so accurate (in the correct settings) out of the box these days that it is possible to get accurate images as intended, without necessarily going the full professional calibration route. I'll never understand why with the choice to see an image as it was intended to be seen with correct colours, dynamic range and greyscale, along with good motion for 24fps films, people change an image to look completely wrong, oversaturated and like cheap video?

Choice is good.

They are not gimmicks, the modes are set to match professional standards used in the production of film and TV content, so you can see it as intended.
TVs are sold at present with all the processing gimmicks, like soap opera effect smoothing systems, switched on and hidden away in menus that your normal consumer will never find or attempt to mess with. As such the Filmmaker mode, like the Netflix one, is an option to switch the TV into the most accurate image settings possible on that TV.

I can only see this as a positive as it gives the user a choice to disable everything and see content as it is supposed to be seen. The processing gimmicks are still there for those who want to ruin film and TV content by adding extra sharpness and smoothing, so everyone, in theory, will be happy.

Something like Filmmaker mode works now because TVs are so accurate (in the correct settings) out of the box these days that it is possible to get accurate images as intended, without necessarily going the full professional calibration route. I'll never understand why with the choice to see an image as it was intended to be seen with correct colours, dynamic range and greyscale, along with good motion for 24fps films, people change an image to look completely wrong, oversaturated and like cheap video?

Choice is good.

I hear your logic and I'll reserve judgement on this one. However, I'll still maintain that 'Netflix mode' was a bit silly. If lowering brightness a few notches is 'how the director intended it' then, again, I can only be cynical about this latest development.

I do take your overall point though & I'm sure there are many owners who would benefit by being given a 'leg up'. It does also bring up the subjectivity argument again though. I use some motion smoothing, but not to the extent where it fits the cliche 'digital video' appearance you're alluding to.

By the same token, I watch Nolan's The Dark Knight trilogy, the 4k master of which he personally supervised, and I dont think they look all that great. So, if that's the 'director's intended look', then I'd rather go of my own judgement I guess.

As you say, ultimately, 'choice is good'...

I hear your logic and I'll reserve judgement on this one. However, I'll still maintain that 'Netflix mode' was a bit silly. If lowering brightness a few notches is 'how the director intended it' then, again, I can only be cynical about this latest development.

There is a lot more going on than just lowering brightness, which is a common misconception. It is matching the colour gamut and greyscale of the HD Rec.709 standard and also making sure motion settings are correct. It does also require the TV manufacturer to make sure this is implemented correctly to the capabilities of the TV in question.

There is a lot more going on than just lowering brightness, which is a common misconception. It is matching the colour gamut and greyscale of the HD Rec.709 standard and also making sure motion settings are correct. It does also require the TV manufacturer to make sure this is implemented correctly to the capabilities of the TV in question.

Well, you're the expert so it'd be silly of me to keep pushing the point. I appreciate and respect your technical clarification, even if my eyes don't necessarily...

What we need is manufacturers to start implementing software changes to previous years models and forums to get behind issues like that. Looking at film reviews Directors should focus on making great films and keep away from helping manufacturers sell TVs

Tim2049, times are changing......having TV's essentially calibrated out of the box is the new big selling point, it's no longer a dream nor a technical issue, it's about to become a fact and manufacturers are beginning to buy into it.

Choice is good.

You write a lot about criticising people who watch things "as they like" in a derogative way and then end with "Choice is Good" . This endless peddling of the only way is "as the director intended " is past its sell by date.

You write a lot about criticising people who watch things "as they like" in a derogative way and then end with "Choice is Good" . This endless peddling of the only way is "as the director intended " is past its sell by date.

It's not peddling, it is the correct way to view content on a display. Why wouldn't you want to have that? Just because people don't understand it, doesn't mean they won't like it when shown correct image quality. Trying to educate and get the best out of members kit is never past its sell-by date, you must have read my comments as being derogatory, but they were not meant that way. I'm here to help, always have been.
Happy new year.

Last edited:
Tim2049, times are changing......having TV's essentially calibrated out of the box is the new big selling point, it's no longer a dream nor a technical issue, it's about to become a fact and manufacturers are beginning to buy into it.
Have you actually seen the Netflix Calibrated Mode in action i have a AF9 so i am talking from experience and that mode is useless watch Mindhunter etc in it and you have a PQ dull as ditchwater .. If that means more accurate .. i will stick to in-accurate then.

Will this be a software update for 2019 LG’s such as the C9 that I have? Or is it to fork out thousands again (which I won’t) on a new set?

some thing are filmed that way. Making TWD popping out colors like Utopia won't make it look more pleasant to watch. I don't get why some people just like oversaturated colors everywhere when even just looking out the window on a different days will produce drastically different results of the same objects.
The whole point of calibration is to actually retain details which are lost if picture settings are cranked up or down to much. Netflix mode on XG95 is very good. Sure, backlight lv4 is really for pitch black room so I use 7 but other than that not much to complain about it.

Will this be a software update for 2019 LG’s such as the C9 that I have? Or is it to fork out thousands again (which I won’t) on a new set?
No idea at the moment. It should be easy enough to add as it is just a change in settings to the current software. The ISF Dark Mode with TruMotion switched off will be the same as FilmMaker mode (remembering to set the panel brightness to your viewing environment). I'll ask when I see LG on Monday at CES.

Choice is good.
Well, I like a natural image with life like colours etc. But more often than not, 24Hz movie material gives me a stroboscope effect that is far from natural and life like. I'm totally convinced that the choice of 24Hz was a trade off between what gives a tolerable motion and what could be achieved with mechanical cameras/projectors (and film material consumption) at the time, and not because of filmmakers intent. Motion interpolation performance in today's TV:s is not 100% without occasional artifacts but I seldom see that as the reason to switch it off.
As you say, choice is good, and just to let you know that I'm very familiar where to find this setting in my TV and I choose to have in ON.
So as long as "Filmmakers" allow me and the TV manufacturers to show the movies with motion interpolation I'm happy.
Best regards.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom