CES 2022 Preview: What to expect

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Ooo, that 65ART90 is tasty!

I can't see from the footage elsewhere whether the cover can actually cover the whole screen. Hopefully it can...

DLxP

Distinguished Member

I can't see from the footage elsewhere whether the cover can actually cover the whole screen. Hopefully it can...
Ah ha, I see from this page that the Kvdarat cover "slides up and down to completely or partially reveal the OLED TV panel beneath". Makes me feel spendy...

Captain Ron

Things i'd like announced but won't be.
1) A native 4K UST projector with auto frame rate matching,Dolby Vision, 3D and HDMI2.1
2) New big brand universal disc players at affordable prices.

tcp/ip

That TV looks absolutely pointless and function for the sake of function.

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Unless one doesn't like having a 65" black rectangle on permanent display in one's living room. Which I don't, hence saying I like the look of it.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

I have to agree. It looks ugly with the cover on and it looks ugly with the cover off. TV is now mounted the wrong height, you will have an ugly loud motor to bring it up and down, its another point of faiure, any TV stand now needs to be off the wall because you need to give the cover ample space to come up and down so speaker placement takes a hit etc.

LG were on the right track with the gallary series. Make it thin, stick to the wall and when its on, make it a gigantic photoframe/piece of art.

This cover looks like a modern age piece of interior design which will be flavour of the month for a couple of years before been relegated to a thing of the past.

If someone does want to hide their display device in their lounge, ALR screen & Projector is the way forwards. Otherwise a gallary series TV tastefully installed will be the next best thing.

Honestly, it just looks like a fisher-price version of their TV which is rollable and comes up from.

DLxP

Distinguished Member
I've got both Samsung's The Frame and an ALR screen in my living room, and there are downsides to both approaches. The gallery type screens don't look terribly convincing in anything other than bright light, as they're obviously emitting their own light. Plus they constantly use electricity, albeit not very much. ALR screens are brilliant, but they're not practical replacements for TVs, especially when kids are factored in.

If I had a dedicated room to put my PJ in, I'd be very tempted by this for the living room.

Screenshot_20220109-161153_YouTube.jpg

I'd certainly prefer the rollable one of course, and would buy that instead if I had nothing else to spend £100k on!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I've got both Samsung's The Frame and an ALR screen in my living room, and there are downsides to both approaches. The gallery type screens don't look terribly convincing in anything other than bright light, as they're obviously emitting their own light. Plus they constantly use electricity, albeit not very much. ALR screens are brilliant, but they're not practical replacements for TVs, especially when kids are factored in.

If I had a dedicated room to put my PJ in, I'd be very tempted by this for the living room.

View attachment 1633027

I'd certainly prefer the rollable one of course, and would buy that instead if I had nothing else to spend £100k on!

Yeah in my front room, I have a projection screen hidden inside the book cases which comes down ALR. I'd take that every day of the week over the LG solution. The motor which controls the panel also makes much more noise a projection screen would lol. But of course it has the advantage of being an actual TV which is awesome.
In my dedicated room, I'm sorted obviously as I don't need to hide anything.

Its all a matter of personal taste but I think this design from LG looks awful. Decor wise it doens't look much better than the gallary series. If someone is sticking this in their room, they're going for a modern look which isn't traditional, in which case a TV isn't all that bad and can suit most decors fairly well. But then again I'm not a fan of modern decor so maybe I'm just being a bit stuck in my ways.

I think its just a really bad hideous idea lol. Oh well.. maybe it'll sell and catch on but I doubt it.

CherryPan

As someone else said above me, it depends on what each of us likes. So, I really like this LG model. Yes, it might not be the suitable version for most of our houses, but it's a nice approach to minimalist&contemporary houses.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom