CES 2021 Preview: What to expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcoDB

I'm hoping for widespread inclusion / support for HDMI 2.1 with VRR and HDR that will play nice with each other and NextGen™ Consoles / PCs. I'm expecting to be dissapointed, again.

zamwessell

Interesting to see that Panasonic are announcing their line up prior to CES. It was February last year, i think.

I am after a Panasonic or Sony 77" OLED with full HDMI 2.1. We should see new Sony Master Series models. A 77" HDMI 2.1 Sony Master Series OLED or a 77" HDMI 2.1 Panasonic OLED ( with fixed 24hz micro stutter ) would be a tough decision.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
LG or other Manufactures for Oled Monitors 65” and above
without the stupid price tag attached .

or Micro Led Monitors 65” +

mike7

Distinguished Member
I'd like to see more quality products in the sub 50" ranges. There is obviously a market for these with the popularity of the Sony and LG 48" OLEDs. It might also be a point when Samsung reveal their OLED range.

IronSoldier

All I want to know is.. will Samsung going to support dolby vision and stop juicing their displays because "oh people like it" 🍿

Last edited:

Toon Army

There may be lots of shiny new products displayed that we all want, however availability will be interesting due to all the Covid-19 manufacturing, shipping and distribution issues being encountered.

matthewricha

Come on Sony, announce an NW-WM1A replacement so I can upgrade my NW-ZX1! More likely to be an IFA announcement though.

mike7

Distinguished Member
There may be lots of shiny new products displayed that we all want, however availability will be interesting due to all the Covid-19 manufacturing, shipping and distribution issues being encountered.
Especially as many of our favourite brands are assembled in Hungary, Poland and Slovakia.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Come on Sony, announce an NW-WM1A replacement so I can upgrade my NW-ZX1! More likely to be an IFA announcement though.
This would be nice. Though the HiDef PMP market has changed/increased a lot since the ZX-1. Looking up upgrade mine, but a replacement for the WM1A is not going to be cheap.

SimonST

Distinguished Member
I'm expecting:

- New Panasonic OLEDs that still don't have HDMI 2.1, still haven't fixed the 24p stutter that reviews gloss over/ignore and still can't be bought in top-spec without the sound system. But it'll go 20% brighter than the other OLEDs. But not as bright as last year's. Or the ones from the year before that.

- LG using the NEW Alpha9 processor for even better smooth gradiation and near-black/low-bitrate handling, but again ends up being weaker than its rivals. But on the plus side you get 4 HDMI 2.1 ports. But they're now limited to 30Gbps. But the HDR VVR issues have been fixed. But some new issues have been found that will be fixed on the 2022 sets.

- Some TCL/Hisense TVs that the reps big up as OLED rivals, that will only be available in the US and some obscure Asian/European countries, which they neglect to mention before agreeing to speak to UK publications, as we clearly only like to buy budget edge-lit LCD TVs here.

- Samsung to continue to use confusing/misleading technical specs in its marketing blurb for the various TVs they sell. But at least they'll have MiniLED. Except they'll probably use the least zones they can get away with, while charging a premium for "new tech".

:D

Last edited:

THX1138UK

I'm expecting:

- New Panasonic OLEDs that still don't have HDMI 2.1, still haven't fixed the 24p stutter that reviews gloss over/ignore and still can't be bought in top-spec without the sound system. But it'll go 20% brighter than the other OLEDs. But not as bright as last year's. Or the ones from the year before that.

- LG using the NEW Alpha9 processor for even better smooth gradiation and near-black/low-bitrate handling, but again ends up being weaker than its rivals. But on the plus side you get 4 HDMI 2.1 ports. But they're now limited to 30Gbps. But the HDR VVR issues have been fixed. But some new issues have been found that will be fixed on the 2022 sets.

- Some TCL/Hisense TVs that the reps big up as OLED rivals, that will only be available in the US and some obscure Asian/European countries, which they neglect to mention before agreeing to speak to UK publications, as we clearly only like to buy budget edge-lit LCD TVs here.

- Samsung to continue to use confusing/misleading technical specs in its marketing blurb for the various TVs they sell. But at least they'll have MiniLED. Except they'll probably use the least zones they can get away with, while charging a premium for "new tech".

Seems that your glass is half empty this evening ;-)

Unfortunately, the perfect product in any category doesn't exist. But you can get pretty close, and what you get for your money today, compared with what we had a decade or two ago is far better.

To put things into context, I started with a LaserDisc player, a 32" TV, and a Pro-Logic receiver back in the mid 90s - we've come a very long way in product development and AV quality since then, and CES has always been the showcase. Some years are better than others for innovation and improvements.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:

SimonST

Distinguished Member
Seems that your glass is half empty this evening ;-)

Unfortunately, the perfect product in any category doesn't exist. But you can get pretty close, and what you get for your money today, compared with what we had a decade or two ago is far better.

To put things into context, I started with LaserDisc player, a 32" TV, and a Pro-Logic receiver back in the mid 90s - we've come a very long way in product development and AV quality since then, and CES has always been the showcase. Some years are better than others for innovation and improvements.

Regards,
James.

Ah it was a mostly tongue-in-cheek post :D looking forward to seeing what is unveiled.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Would like to see 77” drop the way 65” did a few years back, but given Covid etc..may be another few years.
In saying that, with the recession, and what ever oven empty/ready deal Brexit provides, we may find Japanese / South Korean products dropping in price which will help.

I’m expecting hdmi2.1 across the board which translates as at least 1 port on each tv will have one.
Hoping with LG going back to C1, we see something new, hoping we don’t have to wait 6 years until the C5+1 year later model reveals all...will that be when micro lands ?

Livemo

Would like to see 77” drop the way 65” did a few years back, but given Covid etc..may be another few years.
In saying that, with the recession, and what ever oven empty/ready deal Brexit provides, we may find Japanese / South Korean products dropping in price which will help.

I’m expecting hdmi2.1 across the board which translates as at least 1 port on each tv will have one.
Hoping with LG going back to C1, we see something new, hoping we don’t have to wait 6 years until the C5+1 year later model reveals all...will that be when micro lands ?
Considering how much the C8 77" was at launch, a CX will currently cost 3.5k. Not bad in grand scheme of things. Will only drop more come February

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Considering how much the C8 77" was at launch, a CX will currently cost 3.5k. Not bad in grand scheme of things. Will only drop more come February
Yes, it’s all good, when it gets down to the £3K territory I’ll be certainly interested.
The 65” seems to be dropping £100-200 each year, so hopefully the 77” will keep heading south (especially given the demand for the 48” model (cut from same sheet)).

jmacc

Distinguished Member
I'm expecting:

And Sony please?

SimonST

Distinguished Member
And Sony please?

A mint new Master-series with HDMI 2.1 on every port (48Gbps), 1000-nits 240Hz panel with useable BFI in HDR, Atmos-capable acoustic surface Audio, X1 Ultimate PRO Extreme w/ 32GB RAM and latest Android.

But not in 77" :smoke:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco update adds Roon 1.8 readiness
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published