CES 2021 - Are Epson releasing a new PJ then? JVC?

I think that guy was referring to 14 day distance selling return, not making up a fault...

No new projectors unfortunately.

3 sonys only news this season. Maybe at CEDIA 2021.

SONY Gtz380 is the most exciting news really. 9000 calibrated lumens and what looks like decent native CR and black level.

Spk to Epson support today and asked about a new model and the guy said the internal rumour is Christmas next year. He didn’t give me any real info but it will be true 4K and a little dearer than the current 9400, between the £3-4K mark. No idea if he was having me on, but he sounded like he knew his stuff as we chatted about JVCs etc

Well done finding that out.

I received an e mail back from Epson on the subject if Epson will be releasing a new projector successor to the 9400 this year. I have omitted certain words and references. So there you have it maybe 2022 in the year for a successor to the 9400.

Epson reply the below.

Epson e-mail Ref No-XXXX-XXX February 2021

Please do not alter this header as we will be unable to trace the history of your enquiry.
Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Epson's UK Customer XXXXXXXX Centre.

I am afraid that currently there is no information regarding a replacement for the EH-TW9400.

This model came out in 2018 and the models will usually run for roughly three years. To give you an idea of where it is in terms of product life cycle.

If you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact the Epson Customer XXXXXXXX Centre and we will endeavour to resolve any further queries you may have.

Kind regards

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited:
If I were a betting man I would bite the bullet and wait, only because Epson will at a drop of a hat without warning release a successor to the current model it could be this year and I would not put it past them as I was told by an Epson customer support agent to hold tight.

Really that e mail I received from Epson on the matter did not answer anything except that every 3 years they refresh the current model so going by that the 9400 is now 3 years old this year.

Patience is what I need.

If there are new projector models, they're usually announced at Cedia, which takes place in September.

These are low-volume products without a lot of competition at each price point, so it's natural that they don't get updated as often as, say, televisions. Three to four years between successive projector models is fairly normal. After putting a new model into production, the manufacturer needs to get a bunch sold to see a worthwhile return, which takes time. Design tweaks that can be incorporated into the same chassis may happen a little more often, but even then, unless that manufacturer is at a technical disadvantage relative to their competitors, there's no business case for continually making small hardware changes to products, since it can undermine trust in the current model. JVC have of course been able to significantly upgrade their N-series software, so that's kept those models in a strong position.

The way I see it, if you want a projector now, and nothing new has been announced, then it's best to buy one now. You can always upgrade when something worth upgrading to comes along. On the other hand, if you don't mind going without a projector for what could be a couple of years then sure, wait for new models. Life is short though.

The time to get a new projector finally arrived at the end of last year for me, so I had no hesitation ordering an N7. Wish it would show up though 😕.

Unfortunately second had projectors lose a shed load of money, as no one will pay up for an old generation model, as well I'm not made of money either to take a big hit on a 2 year old projector come upgrade time, I would rather wait as I usually keep my projector for 13 years roughly had my last projector 13 years going on 14 years.

My better half says wait.

If there are new projector models, they're usually announced at Cedia, which takes place in September.

These are low-volume products without a lot of competition at each price point, so it's natural that they don't get updated as often as, say, televisions. Three to four years between successive projector models is fairly normal. After putting a new model into production, the manufacturer needs to get a bunch sold to see a worthwhile return, which takes time. Design tweaks that can be incorporated into the same chassis may happen a little more often, but even then, unless that manufacturer is at a technical disadvantage relative to their competitors, there's no business case for continually making small hardware changes to products, since it can undermine trust in the current model. JVC have of course been able to significantly upgrade their N-series software, so that's kept those models in a strong position.

The way I see it, if you want a projector now, and nothing new has been announced, then it's best to buy one now. You can always upgrade when something worth upgrading to comes along. On the other hand, if you don't mind going without a projector for what could be a couple of years then sure, wait for new models. Life is short though.

The time to get a new projector finally arrived at the end of last year for me, so I had no hesitation ordering an N7. Wish it would show up though 😕.

New projectors will be released in the next 12 months IMO.

'You can always upgrade' at a heavy cost. e.g. If I'm eyeing up a JVC N7 at full RRP and the new model is released with better specs which are relavant to my needs within 12 months, I'll be hella annoyed.

JVC N7 has been out for a few years now. If JVC don't upgrade, it'll be strange and probably down to shortages rather than upgrade plans as I'm sure they'd want to release something to encourage owners of the N series who bought on release to move on and give them more money.

You say secondhand projectors lose a ton of money, but have you seen what good used JVC 7900 and 5900s go for even now? Used N5s and N7s rarely come up, and sell for close to the new price at the moment. Even after new models are announced, the previous JVCs tend to hold a lot of their value, since there’s usually a significant wait before the new models are available to buy.

But I get that everyone’s mileage is different. People buy or upgrade when they feel it’s right for them. A lot of folks here seem to buy a new OLED tv or AV amp every year, lose significant money doing it, and don’t seem to worry about it.

Me, I got out of projection a very long time ago, and finally decided last year that the time had come to get back in. But if you already own, say, a 5900, and haven’t changed it already, you probably have less of an itchy credit card.

I’m guessing it’ll be end of this year at best before new upper-tier models from Epson or JVC become available. JVC maybe longer. The current models are great performers, and there’s not much that can compete with them at the price. But like I said, if youre happy to wait to see what comes along, do.

Second had projectors do lose a lot of money or should I have said A second hand Epson 9400 second hand anything loses a lot of money.

Today's world is in a different place with covid these are not normal times everything is grinding to a halt production wise this pandemic has caused the world's worst recession in decades I think punters buying second hand projectors or be it the Eoson 9400 what would you think would be a good asking price say in 12 months time? I would say you would be lucky to sell it for £980

Now the JVC N5 or N7 is too much money to begin with. I purchased the N5 bought it from A German retail shop for £4200 I sent it back as it had a rattle anyway I could not physically see any difference between the Epson 9400 compared to the JVC N5 sitting in my 22' X 20' room on a 133''' Diagonal 16X9 Black diamond canvass. Maybe I should clarify and say the extra money for the JVC N5 over the Epson was in my opinion did not warrant the extra expense of owning the JVC N5 so I plummed for the Epson which we compared with my friend's Epson which I borrowed for the comparison. I agree second hand prices for the JVC N series will always be good as they are a niche product and sell in small numbers compared to Epson as explained to me by A London retailer.

So I will wait as I usually only upgrade after 14 years sold my previous Epson 5010 for £600 A good price for a really old projector which was nearing 14 years.

Generally there is not the money around for second hand projectors, suppose it boils down to how big your house is for a dedicated cinema room most people don't have the room money or want for a cinema room as they are too costly projectors are hard items to shift so I tend to buy and hold onto it for years it's the only way to recoup your investment but if your loaded then that scenario does not apply unfortunately money does not come easy to me so I have to squeeze every last drop before upgrading.

You say secondhand projectors lose a ton of money, but have you seen what good used JVC 7900 and 5900s go for even now? Used N5s and N7s rarely come up, and sell for close to the new price at the moment. Even after new models are announced, the previous JVCs tend to hold a lot of their value, since there’s usually a significant wait before the new models are available to buy.

But I get that everyone’s mileage is different. People buy or upgrade when they feel it’s right for them. A lot of folks here seem to buy a new OLED tv or AV amp every year, lose significant money doing it, and don’t seem to worry about it.

Me, I got out of projection a very long time ago, and finally decided last year that the time had come to get back in. But if you already own, say, a 5900, and haven’t changed it already, you probably have less of an itchy credit card.

I’m guessing it’ll be end of this year at best before new upper-tier models from Epson or JVC become available. JVC maybe longer. The current models are great performers, and there’s not much that can compete with them at the price. But like I said, if youre happy to wait to see what comes along, do.

How much did the last JVC X7900 on this forum sell for? (£2500)
And how much did a JVC X7900 cost at launch/RRP? (JVC DLA-X7900 D-ILA Projector Review) (Around £5.5k)

I'd say thats a fairly decent drop in value and I'd also say the person who got £2500 for the X7900 was lucky as the LAST X7900 sold for £2500 but that was ages ago and the second hand market on our forum seems very forgiving to not mention depreciation over time and the warranty periods getting smaller and smaller.

Projectors are fantastic for holding value compared to a TV but I still don't think they hold their value.

N5/N7 won't come up for sale because they are some of the best projectors in the world. There is no reason to sell them.. until something better is released.

Yes I hear you but that's a terrible waste of money losing 3.5K. On the same token I purchased a Rolex 126600 A used Rolex with some seal tags still on the watch with 904L stainless Steel calibre 3235 movement.

There are slight signs of use all over that watch, the waiting list to buy from official Rolex retail is 10 years plus and if you just walk in off the street you have no chance of even making the waiting list. I purchased it for roughly 10K I wore it every day and one year later sold it used for 12.9K. I don't think it is acceptable to buy a projector for 5.5K then 4 years later lose almost 3K of your initial outlay. It does not make any sense to me at all to basically throw money away. I would rather make money than lose it.

Horses for courses I'm a working class guy scraping a living not so rich with disposable income to just mindlessly fetter money needlessly every time JVC cough and says look we have released a better brighter retina busting brand new projector.

I buy a projector and keep it for roughly 14 years I don't upgrade every time a new reiteration is released then when I sell it I mitigate the total loss on trading up to the best new release at that time.

I hear what you are saying and if you are happy doing that then I can not argue with you fair play to you to have such wealth to be able to upgrade so frequently I'm jealous actually. For me it is a total waste of money I can put to better use else where. As I said previously horses for courses. So I will wait patiently on Epson releasing the successor to the ETH 9400 if it is within the next two years I will wait.

Newsflash - you lose money any time you buy any AV equipment. Or computers, cars (with a very small number of exceptions), kitchens... The only way to not “lose” money as an AV fan is not to spend it in the first place. I totally understand waiting for the latest thing if you intend to keep it for a decade or more, but you have to be prepared to write off the depreciation over how ever many years you keep it.

assuming a £7k projector is worth almost nothing after ten years, it’s costing you £700 per year to own a projector.

if you keep your £7k projector for three to four years, then sell it for £4K when an updated model is announced, it has cost you about £1000 per year...

Not dramatically different. Except in the second case you always have an up to date projector.

So you can see the argument for upgrading.

But you also have to weigh that up against the hassle of continually buying and selling. If a unit is working well, why change?

it’s a cost vs value equation that everyone figures out for themselves. There’s no single correct answer. The only guarantee is, if you buy AV gear, you will no longer have money that you would have had if you had not bought the gear.

yes .. news flash two .... :D

Projectors and AV gear depreciate no matter when you buy them :D no matter what you buy its going to get out dated, replaced ... superseded... you cant hold back progress...

yes can hold back buying something ... but then you also hold back enjoying it :D

its a FOMO problem either way...

for some i guess there is the FOMO...fear of missing out ...that hey if i buy this current thing, then as sure as the sun will rise...a new thing will come and will miss out buying that instead.. !

then theres the FOMO of hell if I dont buy the current thing... I will miss out enjoying it now ... !

pick your own FOMO and dont blame the problem on the OEMs... they got to keep the till going ka...ching... in some ways its not a problem for them, whether now or later its going to still go ka-ching :D

yes .. news flash two .... :D

Projectors and AV gear depreciate no matter when you buy them :D no matter what you buy its going to get out dated, replaced ... superseded... you cant hold back progress...

yes can hold back buying something ... but then you also hold back enjoying it :D

its a FOMO problem either way...

for some i guess there is the FOMO...fear of missing out ...that hey if i buy this current thing, then as sure as the sun will rise...a new thing will come and will miss out buying that instead.. !

then theres the FOMO of hell if I dont buy the current thing... I will miss out enjoying it now ... !

pick your own FOMO and dont blame the problem on the OEMs... they got to keep the till going ka...ching... in some ways its not a problem for them, whether now or later its going to still go ka-ching :D

An N5/N7 bought at the start of its lifespan has held its value longer than an N5/N7 will being bought now.

The reason for this is sadly because projectors, as they get older, don't seem to get the discounts normal technology does. They seem to hold their price until a new model and then drop by 30%.

Projectors remind me of Macbooks. You always want to buy a Macbook at the start of its life cycle because even at the end, you're paying the same price for the same Macbook.

Comparatively with TVs, the prices drop more in line with their age.

An N5/N7 bought at the start of its lifespan has held its value longer than an N5/N7 will being bought now.
sorry i have not seen any data to support this line of thinking, however if it is a belief of yours, i respect that.

I have not personally seen any n5/n7/n9 2nd hand for sale, and us aussies are early adopters and we tend to see a lot of projectors come and go...in entire life span of this N series range 2nd hand total of projectors has been a big fat zero... and across ALL platforms these kind of things are sold across. this is kind of amazing ....to be honest. its either that folks basically happy for what ever reason with those and dont really want to let go. or there is nothing else really looking to upgrade to...

The reason for this is sadly because projectors, as they get older, don't seem to get the discounts normal technology does. They seem to hold their price until a new model and then drop by 30%.
my studies to master level have included economics and it is very much down to supply and demand that are factors in pricing when comes to both 2nd and new prices. however this is a lot more complex an issue. its all about perceived value and we are getting into marketing here. and what price you can place on something for the incremental benefit.

In my experience, pricing of projectors tends to vary quite a lot 2nd hand as there are indeed many factors... we have the idjoit that will price something for a quick sale to give it away...on other extreme someone who will price it quite a bit above what folks willing to pay. you see something sell at what ever it does 2nd hand ...but on other hand you dont have an insight into price if something sold a lot cheaper than someone advertised and took a lower offer instead. even with buyers there are lot of factors ... time of year....condition of goods(hours physical conditon original packaging)...location..reputation of seller...also the rep of the model as well.

also as far as holding price ...if talking 2nd hand this is also impacted by both RRP and street prices.... which are two ute disparate things as well..

Projectors remind me of Macbooks. You always want to buy a Macbook at the start of its life cycle because even at the end, you're paying the same price for the same Macbook.

not always the case...and what defines life cycle of a model ? i ask this specifically because if you are talking JVC or epson or sony for matter this is an important consideration. eg epson... i had a 9000 ... a 9200 came out... so freaking what ? there was nothing worth having on the 9200 over a 9000... so i kept using the 9000. i got great resale on my 9000 almost what i actually paid for it 3-4 years later... yes was some numpty on ebay that got in a bidding war with another numpty and paid way too much for it ... possibly not realising what street pricing is or was on these things.

jvc x35 ... did i bother buying the models that followed ? no ...why would i ...next stop was x7000 and this was significantly huge jump up in price ...but i got good resale on the x35 you know why ? because there was stuff difference between the x35 and the models that followed and i had a unit which has a great rep...the x35 was the first bug free jvc to follow a string of prior JVC with issues... the x35 put out a stunning image. and mine was a great example and i am a seller with good reputation and put some effort into my sale.

x7000 ? did I bother buying the x7500 or x7900 nope ...why would i ? not worth expense of buying and selling and lets face it basically the same projector :D and guess what my x7000 had great resale again 4.5 years later...a price i certainly felt was decently good and yet not being over the top...ie provides some value to buyer.

part of the factor in the great resale ... is a not only some things i listed here ...but also street pricing and buying at the right time...and selling at the right time, this can wary quite a bit and there are no hard and fast rules.

I notice quite a bit of mention of rrp in talking resale here. but who pays RRP ? where i am only a numpty would. eg with epson or jvc X series or N series we have great pre order deals...then we have had RRP variations ... eg X series had a price drop at one stage... ($ and factory pricing related) N series had a price hike ! (covid and cost of doing business) still there are deals to be had. you can click buy still now and not pay rrp. so no real point talking RRP !

Comparatively with TVs, the prices drop more in line with their age.
TV resale here is very sh!te basically have to give them away...there is a new model almost every years and there is huge discounting at the box movers... everyone has TVs and if getting one ... most i know just go to box mover and get a new one.

projectors its not just age...but condition... hours ..rep of seller... time when bought and time when sold, RRP and also street pricing (business conditions drive this). eg my pioneer kuro last and best is probably worth $150 but do I care ? nope ...am I going to replace it with a multi thousand oled or something ? nope ...still an awesome thing, we only use it for every day TV its a 2nd display what ever prices out there might be for it is a complete inconsequence to me.... and same goes with projectors ...not everyone cares... some care more than others...

its all down to your FOMO :D and have given a couple of illustrations where this can be a driver to buy now or only when a new model comes...

Last edited:
jvc x35 ... did i bother buying the models that followed ? no ...why would i ...next stop was x7000 and this was significantly huge jump up in price ...but i got good resale on the x35 you know why ? because there was stuff difference between the x35 and the models that followed and i had a unit which has a great rep...the x35 was the first bug free jvc to follow a string of prior JVC with issues... the x35 put out a stunning image. and mine was a great example and i am a seller with good reputation and put some effort into my sale.
As it looks now, the new N series we have today will be the troublesome one, like the first X series, it seems there is a significant amount of issues with the N5/ N7 / NX9, and ill guess they will be very hard to sell out of warranty once there is a updated model, which might not be the next one, we likely have to jump to the 3rd generation of the new chassis before we are where the X35 was in regard of quality.

jvc n series certainly had issues on release... this can always be the case with a first born and completely new ground up design...good reason I didnt buy one on release..not only had friends but my retailer telling me to stay away. wasnt till much later that year was comfortable enough to buy and glad I did :)

zero issue here with my N7 and have had mine over 12 months now and about 500 hours... we are pretty good here with our consumer rights way beyond manufacturer warranty with what we call statutory warranty.. also have a good retailer so not particularly worried :)

projectors are always delicate things. you want to buy from a good retailer that will come to bat for you. only projectors have had issues with was 2 epsons ...first one doa in 8 hours...only fix from epson which took 3 months of fighting and thats even with retailer and workshop pushing ! finally they replaced with the new model as the older gen had issues. the 9000 series went in and out of workshop more times than recalled ... but got great resale as I stated earlier..

the other projector had a problem with was x7000 that picked up some issues 150 hours in and few months into ownership. retailer had a new one delivered to me even before the old one was picked up ! how's that for service ? new one was an absolute peach and as stated resale was good and to expectation.

as far as i can make out jvc n series are extremely sought after, and capable off outstanding result am very happy with.

if you want to buy a projector either brand or model with track record of zero issues, there would be no projector you would buy :D

buy (what ever it is) and be happy... keep your fingers crossed and have a good retailer and consumer rights to back you up !

Last edited:
jvc n series certainly had issues on release... this can always be the case with a first born and completely new ground up design...good reason I didnt buy one on release..not only had friends but my retailer telling me to stay away. wasnt till much later that year was comfortable enough to buy and glad I did :)

zero issue here with my N7 and have had mine over 12 months now and about 500 hours... we are pretty good here with our consumer rights way beyond manufacturer warranty with what we call statutory warranty.. also have a good retailer so not particularly worried :)

projectors are always delicate things. you want to buy from a good retailer that will come to bat for you. only projectors have had issues with was 2 epsons ...first one doa in 8 hours...only fix from epson which took 3 months of fighting and thats even with retailer and workshop pushing ! finally they replaced with the new model as the older gen had issues. the 9000 series went in and out of workshop more times than recalled ... but got great resale as I stated earlier..

the other projector had a problem with was x7000 that picked up some issues 150 hours in and few months into ownership. retailer had a new one delivered to me even before the old one was picked up ! how's that for service ? new one was an absolute peach and as stated resale was good and to expectation.

as far as i can make out jvc n series are extremely sought after, and capable off outstanding result am very happy with.

if you want to buy a projector either brand or model with track record of zero issues, there would be no projector you would buy :D

buy (what ever it is) and be happy... keep your fingers crossed and have a good retailer and consumer rights to back you up !
I have returned a RS2000 and a N7 now, ill really like a good sample, but the extreme contrast drops in the corners, and the color uniformity issues just killed the otherwise amazing projector, the most troublesome issue on this current series must be the dust issue on the panels, specially the units hanging is developing fairly fast, so some sort of redesign is needed of the light engine to put the dust out of focus, the old X series light engine was very good in that regard.
I setteled with a old JVC X500 for now, as it has significantly higher on off contrast than all the N5/ N7 i have seen, hope we some day also get some manual controle of the N series 1-2-3-4-5% ire gamma adjustment, as they all have a gamma drop out of black that cant be corrected, and make reference dark scenes look a bit washed out in comparison to a projector that can track a perfect gamma out of black. The N series have the bit resolution to support a very accurate gamma graduation.

Maybe its just me having to high expectations to the JVC lineup based on the specs, and results from some of the previous models. The N series specs must have been invented by a marketing guy, and he is not really able to tell how he came to those nr.

I cant help you with any lemons you might have had. it can happen with any brand and model I know off and all kind of issues you are talking off here. I know one person who bought and returned at least 3 sonys )optical block issues, dust you name it, to then go to a n9 and is now happy. others with epsons that have been in and out of repair shop like my old one did yes they suffer with dust and all sorts of things too. and certainly as i said the N series were not without issues either, am sure you can still have some issue with them they are not infallible nothing I know is. but as i said what helps with projectors is a good retailer and warranty and support to back you up.

I can only speak with regards N series and my own experience...where been very happy when got it, even happier with first firmware update. over the moon with the second major update then to have professionally calibrated I honestly cant imagine how things could get any better ...but ive been there before with every projector i have had..sitting there thinking gee how good is this how can get better ...but with own experience i know with the step change between models i have upgraded too the gains have been there. real ones to take things significantly forward...

cant hold back progress as I mentioned .it doesnt necessarily come with each incremental model release but it does come... or we'd all be still siting in our rooms watching some 720p LCD from the 90s or harbouring a big hulking 3 eyed monster CRT

if happy and siting back pretty chuffed with the x500 thats great to hear. contentment is what its all about... its what kept me from upgrading usually some 3-4-5 years with projectors no real need to upgrade to next new thing with some incremental update ...leaving the updates till something genuinely worth having came along. some folks can go longer ... know the guy with his jvc hd1 still going ...couldnt care less what else is out there. keeps popping in ebay bulbs... probably keep it going till the thing dies :D

I cant help you with any lemons you might have had. it can happen with any brand and model I know off and all kind of issues you are talking off here. I know one person who bought and returned at least 3 sonys )optical block issues, dust you name it, to then go to a n9 and is now happy. others with epsons that have been in and out of repair shop like my old one did yes they suffer with dust and all sorts of things too. and certainly as i said the N series were not without issues either, am sure you can still have some issue with them they are not infallible nothing I know is. but as i said what helps with projectors is a good retailer and warranty and support to back you up.

I can only speak with regards N series and my own experience...where been very happy when got it, even happier with first firmware update. over the moon with the second major update then to have professionally calibrated I honestly cant imagine how things could get any better ...but ive been there before with every projector i have had..sitting there thinking gee how good is this how can get better ...but with own experience i know with the step change between models i have upgraded too the gains have been there. real ones to take things significantly forward...

cant hold back progress as I mentioned .it doesnt necessarily come with each incremental model release but it does come... or we'd all be still siting in our rooms watching some 720p LCD from the 90s or harbouring a big hulking 3 eyed monster CRT

if happy and siting back pretty chuffed with the x500 thats great to hear. contentment is what its all about... its what kept me from upgrading usually some 3-4-5 years with projectors no real need to upgrade to next new thing with some incremental update ...leaving the updates till something genuinely worth having came along. some folks can go longer ... know the guy with his jvc hd1 still going ...couldnt care less what else is out there. keeps popping in ebay bulbs... probably keep it going till the thing dies :D
I still have a few 3 eyed monsters as well, and that one is just a JVC NX9 killer when it comes to movies like Harry potter, even the best of the NX9 cant keep up there, it however comes back with brighter movies, the CRT wins on low light scenes and motion handling still.

Im fairly sure if i could test and measure all of the N series projectors sold, 80% of them would go back due to contrast and color uniformity tolerances, and light output not even beeing close to specs, thats however not the same as them not producing a lovely picture, mine did for sure on a lot of content, just that the JVC lottery its getting harder to get a good sample with tight tolerances on this current generation.

Could be interesting if you could do the paper test on your unit, is it hanging or standing?

hi strides I think this is where you and me differ quite a bit. i couldn't give a flying about a paper test(know exactly what it is) and rather watch a movie instead. I couldn't also care less on whether it matches perfectly with spec. but yes the picture it puts out does matter to me... and i do know what good looks like. put its effort to best of my capability to setup and also had pro calibrated for good reason. have had the benefit of exposure to some magnificent machines over the years. the jvc or any machines we are talking about here aren't best in the world, all have some flaws but certainly all capable of pretty decent things whether sony epson or jvc. all have pros cons.. as am sure any new model coming can be as well.

I know folk go on about lotteries but i have perhaps been lucky with jvcs i've had. happy enough to enjoy and appreciate what they do...thats whats important to me

hi strides I think this is where you and me differ quite a bit. i couldn't give a flying about a paper test(know exactly what it is) and rather watch a movie instead. I couldn't also care less on whether it matches perfectly with spec. but yes the picture it puts out does matter to me... and i do know what good looks like. put its effort to best of my capability to setup and also had pro calibrated for good reason. have had the benefit of exposure to some magnificent machines over the years. the jvc or any machines we are talking about here aren't best in the world, all have some flaws but certainly all capable of pretty decent things whether sony epson or jvc. all have pros cons.. as am sure any new model coming can be as well.

I know folk go on about lotteries but i have perhaps been lucky with jvcs i've had. happy enough to enjoy and appreciate what they do...thats whats important to me
Think a lot of consumers are like that, im more of a perfectionist, making my own testing calibration and repair/ mods, you will be surprised how much most pro calibrators are slacking as well, on the JVC its fairly easy to get a hint, if they set the offset to different values there is likely a lot to gain by recalibrating it. Try look at your calibration report and see if the out of black gamma was ever tested.

None of us knows anything better than the best we have experienced, so on forums like this there is people on all levels, in my experience it dont make much sense to talk about you or me being perfectly happy or not, the only thing i can relate to here is objective data, and thas where most consumers like you dont want to go, the paper test is a easy god way to get a idea of the level of dust on the panels, and contrast uniformity situation on your sample, and being aware is the key to get it sorted out while its still under warranty.

Dont help praising a product if you cant support it with objective data, you will notice that ill use a long time documenting the projectors im testing.

If your happy with your sample thats perfect, im quite sure i could find quite a few issues on all projector, my main issue with the N series is that its in a price level where i dont think the very rough tolerances is ok, not saying SONY and Epson is not even worse. You would be surprised how many current projectors not having a chance to keep up with a well setup old 3 eyed monster, and how short lived current generation projectors are these days in comparison. Marketing has done well the last 30 years making consumers used to new is better, and that its ok if it dies right out of warranty.

One thing is sure JVC has the worse service of them all, hard to find more rude and arrogant projector manufacture, which is why you need a strong dealer to wrestle JVC when you get issues with your unit.

Think a lot of consumers are like that, im more of a perfectionist, making my own testing calibration and repair/ mods, you will be surprised how much most pro calibrators are slacking as well, on the JVC its fairly easy to get a hint, if they set the offset to different values there is likely a lot to gain by recalibrating it. Try look at your calibration report and see if the out of black gamma was ever tested.
I totally respect the view you have and totally entitled to it :)

None of us knows anything better than the best we have experienced, so on forums like this there is people on all levels, in my experience it dont make much sense to talk about you or me being perfectly happy or not, the only thing i can relate to here is objective data, and thas where most consumers like you dont want to go, the paper test is a easy god way to get a idea of the level of dust on the panels, and contrast uniformity situation on your sample, and being aware is the key to get it sorted out while its still under warranty.
this is the beauty of things though...at end of it ... it doesnt really matter much whether you or me are happy when comes to someone elses buying decisions.... at end of it its totally upto them as to whats necessary as deciders in their buying decisions or being totally satisfied...

If your happy with your sample thats perfect, im quite sure i could find quite a few issues on all projector, my main issue with the N series is that its in a price level where i dont think the very rough tolerances is ok, not saying SONY and Epson is not even worse. You would be surprised how many current projectors not having a chance to keep up with a well setup old 3 eyed monster, and how short lived current generation projectors are these days in comparison. Marketing has done well the last 30 years making consumers used to new is better, and that its ok if it dies right out of warranty.
am totally sure you can find fault with anything. but I think folks will differ in thinking. eg last thing id want is a 3 eyed monster as far as setup goes I know what that used to take. am very happy the dark dim blurry days of the 3 eyed monsters are long gone and upkeep they needed. and its not like everything that followed dont have a chance to keep up. I know most folk with the 3 eyed monsters that moved on and quite happy with things from last decade or so. we are all different I guess...but I dont personally think we have had it any better... its quite amazing just what we can achieve in the home these days... am reminded of that each time I switch my projector on and watch a movie.

One thing is sure JVC has the worse service of them all, hard to find more rude and arrogant projector manufacture, which is why you need a strong dealer to wrestle JVC when you get issues with your unit.
one of the benefits of our consumer law here and it goes beyond warranty that the contract of sale and hence any dealings only need be with the retailer. we have no need here or should we be dealing with jvc. and jvc am pretty sure where we are not even setup for that reason for anything direct to public... I totally agree with regards retailer though. good ones are gold... like the one who warned me off buying a n7 when first released... dodged a bullet there am sure. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom