CES 2021 - Are Epson releasing a new PJ then? JVC?

alebonau

I notice some places are knocking between £200 to £500 off but you have to phone in and be genuinely interested to buy I believe myself Epson aren't going to voluntarily give this information they will just release a new model without warning. That's why I'm going to wait this year and next if need be no sense in buying the 9400 to upgrade and lose over half the value of the 9400 to buy the successor.
just trying to understand your logic and line of thinking, since I dont really understand ... if you are planning to keep what ever you buy for 14 years as you have said ... why is it are you going to sell what ever you buy for half the amount and buy the successor ? are you a serial upgrader or a once in 14 year purchaser ? :D

new models are always released ... you cant stop progress... if talking epson for instance in 14 years I can think of 3 generations of product across 5 models+ at least released even in one of their range of product...let alone all the other ranges they sell :)

what projector did you have last and how long did you keep it for again :D did the manufactures in question not release any subsequent models after your purchase over the 14 years if thats how long you had it ?

if talking the 9400 or for matter even the 9300 before, there are actually folk using and quite happy with what they have. I dont think they see it as non-sense owning the projector just because a new one pops out in a year or two. as it is who pays full rrp on epson projectors ?

to put in perspective of something else that depreciates heavily .... cars ...the car i own now I bought nearly 3 year ago. when i originally thought of buying it brand new it was $99k ! I bought a brand new one 5 years later in the models life for $40k cheaper ! and better specd and optioned than the original ! when i bought mine i knew full well a new model was coming and couldn't care less. have absolutely enjoyed the last nearly 3 years have owned the car... and plan to keep many years still... ive got 7 more years of free factory servicing so cost of owners ship should be low... but if it turns out to be a pain i'll move it on... and expect price I get to be suitable keeping that in mind. on other hand I might even keep it till am an old codger and can no longer drive :D infact daughter tells me petrol cars will be banned and i'll still be tottering around in the thing :D

resale is and isnt such a big bother for folk...and i appreciate it is to you..even if only turn things over every 14 years :)

Last edited:

popelife

I know a guy arguing with me regarding how well these high end JVC projectors hold their value on the secondary market needs to see that e bay listing maybe that would educate him regarding the true resale value of an £18,000 JVC N9 top of the range projector that sold for just £7301 that is a loss of over half value this projector cost when purchased new as the retail shop selling this projector would not knock very much off the price.

My thoughts on resale of any electronics holds true resale value simply lose a shed load when selling on the secondary market no matter what it is that is why I hold onto my stuff for 14 years before ever considering to sell it, I must reply to that guy and post links see what he thinks regarding an 18K projector that sold for only 7K what a loss what a waste of money the guy must be absolutely minted and can take that sort if hit or he has lost his marbles.

What a total waste of buying the JVC N9 projector just goes to show what the true value of that N9 projector really is as it is only worth what someone is willing to pay and there were a lot of bidders the more you outlay for a piece of equipment the bigger the hit you take when you sell second hand but to actually lose 11K on a 8 month old projector well is just madness it is a loss of too much money no matter how rich you are no one would willingly throw £11,000 grand down the drain. That's why I returned my N5 to me all JVC projectors are overpriced and do not offer value for money as explained to be by a well known respected London reseller who advised me to not buy the N5 or N7 buy the Epson 9400 as it gives as good a picture and saves you a shed load of money as quite frankly the JVC projectors are not worth the extra expense that is what was explained to me by that London shop kind of makes sense now.

By "I know a guy" I presume you're referring to me. Our discussion or debate or whatever you want to call it was in this thread.

I wouldn't call it argument, you and I just have different ways of looking at this.

(And yes, I have seen that eBay listing.)

Everything you buy new (with a few exceptions) loses value over time, it's just a fact of life, and the only way to avoid taking that hit is never to buy anything.

i agree that a lot of electronics products do become near worthless after a few years, but some others don't (obvious example is Apple products). If an item can hang on to 50% of its new value after a few years, I think that's pretty good going. Used JVC projectors still have value - I'm not saying by any means that they keep ALL their value, but they do better than many other projector brands since JVC have a deserved reputation as market leaders. The dealer I bought my N7 from says the JVCs are still in huge demand.

Obviously, if the seller is a mug and sells their item for less than it's really worth then they will take a bigger "hit" than someone else who takes more care with their sale. I know that N9 owner could have done better (I expect the buyer considers that they got a bargain). I've seen used N7s sell on eBay for not a lot less than that N9 went for. It's very easy to get burned with an eBay auction format, especially with high-ticket-price items - it's happened to me a couple of times, though never on anything as expensive as a £10k projector.

But if that N9 was a business purchase and used in a corporate environment, the seller often won't know or care what it was worth and doesn't much care what they get for it, as long as it sells. It often wasn't "their money" that was used to buy it, and not "their money" after they've sold it.

The figure that one example of an item sells for on eBay is not the definitive indicator of what that item is really worth used. I sold a 5-year-old mint and boxed drum machine on eBay a few years back for almost twice what anyone else got for theirs. I just presented it right and happened to sell when the demand was at a peak, and got a bit lucky with a few determined buyers fighting over it. Sometimes the auction format works for you, sometimes it doesn't.

I totally respect your choice to buy more affordable, lower-performance products in order to lose less money when you sell them. But there's no point getting angry at other people who prefer higher-priced higher-performance products. Some people (not me) buy brand new Ferraris, McLarens, Porsches.... Are they stupid for not buying a Honda Civic Type-R?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I know a guy arguing with me regarding how well these high end JVC projectors hold their value on the secondary market needs to see that e bay listing maybe that would educate him regarding the true resale value of an £18,000 JVC N9 top of the range projector that sold for just £7301 that is a loss of over half value this projector cost when purchased new as the retail shop selling this projector would not knock very much off the price.

My thoughts on resale of any electronics holds true resale value simply lose a shed load when selling on the secondary market no matter what it is that is why I hold onto my stuff for 14 years before ever considering to sell it, I must reply to that guy and post links see what he thinks regarding an 18K projector that sold for only 7K what a loss what a waste of money the guy must be absolutely minted and can take that sort if hit or he has lost his marbles.

What a total waste of buying the JVC N9 projector just goes to show what the true value of that N9 projector really is as it is only worth what someone is willing to pay and there were a lot of bidders the more you outlay for a piece of equipment the bigger the hit you take when you sell second hand but to actually lose 11K on a 8 month old projector well is just madness it is a loss of too much money no matter how rich you are no one would willingly throw £11,000 grand down the drain. That's why I returned my N5 to me all JVC projectors are overpriced and do not offer value for money as explained to be by a well known respected London reseller who advised me to not buy the N5 or N7 buy the Epson 9400 as it gives as good a picture and saves you a shed load of money as quite frankly the JVC projectors are not worth the extra expense that is what was explained to me by that London shop kind of makes sense now.

Compared to other electronics like TVs projectors hold their value incredibly well.

JL12W7

The final selling price of £7000 for the JVC N9 top of the range projector to me is not holding value very well. No electronic device holds it value, no electronic device I ever owned ever retained it value these sorts of items just lose a shed load of money on the secondary market only items that did hold value are speakers. I always broke even and even made some money selling my B&W speakers, as I upgraded to what I have now. Anyway just glad it was not me who lost £11,000 I could not afford to take a hit like that as that seller must be very wealthy who can stand to lose £11,00 and more to the point what will he or she replace it with as I assumed the JVC N9 was the pinnacle of all projectors the mother of projectors so why did they sell it for such a low price.

Last edited:

JL12W7

Look people chill out ya,all. Just take deep breaths all good thoughts. 👍

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
The bulk of the lose in value happens very quickly regardless of what it is but after that it’s slows greatly. TVs and PCs are the only exception in my opinion, their technology changes so rapidly that within such a short period the technology is so old it’s classed obsolete and worthless in no time at all. Projectors generally have a lifespan of 3 years before being replaced and due to the way their produce their image the tech seems to offer smaller improvements compared to TVs and probably most other AV equipment.

I think most improvements we will see with projector will be software based but that’s only my thoughts and what do I know. LOL

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
The final selling price of £7000 for the JVC N9 top of the range projector to me is not holding value very well. No electronic device holds it value, no electronic device I ever owned ever retained it value these sorts of items just lose a shed load of money on the secondary market only items that did hold value are speakers. I always broke even and even made some money selling my B&W speakers, as I upgraded to what I have now. Anyway just glad it was not me who lost £11,000 I could not afford to take a hit like that as that seller must be very wealthy who can stand to lose £11,00 and more to the point what will he or she replace it with as I assumed the JVC N9 was the pinnacle of all projectors the mother of projectors so why did they sell it for such a low price.

why are you so fixated on the N9?

I don't think anyone is debating that the top range projector's dont hold their value.

talk about the Epson 9300, 9400, JVC X5000, JVC X7900, N5 and if they hold their value on the second hand market compared to other display electronics.

Speakers generally hold their value because the tech doesn't improve.

alebonau

The final selling price of £7000 for the JVC N9 top of the range projector to me is not holding value very well.

seem to be hanging you hat on this n9, incase unaware, as am not sure ever clicked on the link i posted with regards the sale being a scam, but it seems according to ebay it is the case and down to someones account being hacked. you can see the screen shot of message sent by ebay. as posted by mad bull in the thread link below,

not to say there aren't 2nd hand bargains ever, certainly can be the case, but there is usual peril for buying 2nd hand and can see why it hardly went for anything in this case... folk usually wise up pretty quick on the warning signs.... buyer beware...

wish you well with that ever you seek...and may you enjoy what ever it is ... for the next 14 years as you intend :)

popelife

I think the phrase “hold its value” is getting misinterpreted here. We all accept that used prices for AV kit will usually be quite a lot lower than new prices. I never meant to suggest that any piece of kit won’t “lose money” when you sell it (truth is, you lose the money when you buy it. It’s then a question of how much you recoup if you decide to sell).

To me, “holding value” is a relative thing - if product A sells for 50% of its new price after two years, and product B sells for 30% of its new price after the same period, then A can be said to hold its value better than B. That’s all.

(Regarding that eBay auction... Approach anyone else with an N9 and offer them £7k for it, and see where it gets you. Strange forces are at work when it comes to buying or selling expensive low-volume gear. The fact that one N9 sold for £7k doesn’t remotely mean that the next one will - if there ever is a next one. I wasn’t able to sell a used £100,000 imagesetter for even £500 a couple of years back, and was forced to cut it into bits with an angle grinder and throw 1000kg of metal into a skip. Other people get lucky and sell them for £5k).

But for argument’s sake, if we say all AV gear depreciates at the same rate (which it clearly doesn’t, but anyway) I hope I’m stating the bleedin’ obvious that expensive kit will “lose” you more money that cheaper kit. But if you don’t choose gear that gives you the performance that you’re looking for, then you may equally end up feeling that you’ve wasted your money by choosing the affordable product instead of the one you really wanted.

Everyone just does the best they can on the budget they have. You spend where you want to, save where you need to. Whoever won that N9, assuming it works out, did great. Meanwhile most of us probably couldn’t justify spending £7k on a projector no matter how much of a bargain it is. FWIW, that N9, used and potentially without a guarantee, still cost more than my N7 did new.

As I’ve tried to say before, home cinema isn’t a competition to see who can spend the most, or the least. It’s about enjoying watching movies. People can and do enjoy films at home on all kinds of gear, from affordable to eye-wateringly expensive. Whatever works for you, it’s all good IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom