CES 2020 Preview: What to expect - news discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lg tv names leaked and they seem to be using the X instead of 10 like for Apple iPhones....they also mention BFI is back after being pulled out last year

8k oled ZX tv also out in 2 sizes (65 and 88)

43XH8005 or 49XH9505 for the PS5??

Thanks @Livemo

I would like to see some more flexibility in regards to the TV "Feet" or TV stand appear. Specifically it would be nice to be able to adjust the height, so that the stand gap underneath the TV could increase for decrease by a couple of centimeters.

Looks like we will see prototypes qantum oled from Samsung via closed doors
French website and just one picture
Thanks for that. So if we have a prototype now how far away is mass production - could it be as soon as 2021?

43XH8005 or 49XH9505 for the PS5??
Thanks for the information.

I wonder if Sony will have any high end FALD sets with lots of zones - i.e. around 1,000 - that are 4k?
I would not be surprised if very soon all high end models are only available in 8k.

I wonder if Sony will have any high end FALD sets with lots of zones - i.e. around 1,000 - that are 4k?
I would not be surprised if very soon all high end models are only available in 8k.
That would be very disappointing if they force 8K down our throat.

Thanks for that. So if we have a prototype now how far away is mass production - could it be as soon as 2021?
Welcome sir
Based on past experience and what I have been reading...they started properly last year and faced some challenges...
If you ignore big sizes and big prices which can be available from late 2020, realistically it should be refined enough around 2022...
My timing assumes that you must ALWAYS avoid first and second generations if possible..
Also keep in mind the prototype seems to be 8k so we should hopefully see 4k too..

I believe Samsung will bring qantum oled relatively fast while refining mini led at the same time...

With recent progress with mini led, they should be able to achieve this easily IF they want to...
Unless they found a way to refine oled or dual lcd, they will be forced to go this way...
A ZF10 will be realistic and they should aim for it...

That would be very disappointing if they force 8K down our throat.

I am very worried about this 8k nonsense...
4k is barely taking hold and we are far from 4k normal tv broadcast
I have time to see where this is going as micro led will take time to be refined/accessible....
Qantum oled could be an unexpected GOOD surprise (I also dare hope Samsung to guarantee against burn in to fight LG)

Samsung unfortunately may take a while longer according to this article
While I’d love to see QDOled arrive in 2021, did the Nanosys guy not say it was 2023 > in the AVF podcast during the year (this could be me confusing what other tech journos have said).

Samsung unfortunately may take a while longer according to this article
While I’d love to see QDOled arrive in 2021, did the Nanosys guy not say it was 2023 > in the AVF podcast during the year (this could be me confusing what other tech journos have said).
Hmmmm very good article and if it holds true, no qantum Oled before 2023!!!
Looks like mini and micro led will rule for now alongside some oled potential improvements (inkjet printing, substrat, tadf,..)...
Not complaining if it can accelerate micro led adoption...roll on...daddy wants a new tv in 2022/23 :)

Hmmmm very good article and if it holds true, no qantum Oled before 2023!!!
Looks like mini and micro led will rule for now alongside some oled potential improvements (inkjet printing, substrat, tadf,..)...
Not complaining if it can accelerate micro led adoption...roll on...daddy wants a new tv in 2022/23 :)
Just wish public members could sign nda’s to find out what’s going on in those closed rooms at CES!

Just wish public members could sign nda’s to find out what’s going on in those closed rooms at CES!
Don’t worry....we will know everything :)

Ivanka Trump is to be a keynote speaker at CES. Of course the Trumps are experts in everything. I guess she won't be in favour of anything coming from China.

Happy new year
52DB1309-AF57-4DF9-9B47-6B7F26746A61.jpeg

Likewise @Goldorak and AVF community, have a great 2020!

Will be interesting if Sony do reveal the PS5 at CES rather than standalone event in February...
May be all to do with tv/audio but after Microsoft slipped in the Xbox Series X a few weeks ago, might happen ...

CC01A361-2B95-4DDF-A68F-BFE5DA44A24C.jpeg

HiSense OLED TVs will solve burn-in issues with the new six-layer technology

Dont’ know if it works but I will welcome any attempt to eradicate the burn in risk
I still believe the best course of action is manufacturer to guarantee us 5-7-10 years against it.
If Samsung is smart, that’s how they will gain market share with Oled at the speed of light...forcing everyone else to align...
Was watching dbz heroes yesterday on YouTube with my son...bloody frozen logo made me nervous...throughout the17 episodes....

Hmm the title sounds good but if you read the article it sounds like they are BS’ing. The “six layer technology” has nothing to do with the physical OLED structure but is instead the same kind of software side features that the other OLED manufacturers are using (pixel shifting, monitoring static images etc, selectively reducing brightness etc).

By calling it it “six layer” they imply a different structure to the inherently weak OLED tech but it seems to be nothing of the sort. IMO an OLED that doesn’t suffer burn in is impossible unless someone figures out how to make a truly stable blue light emitter and that hasn’t been done at all, let alone at mass production levels.

The best that can be hoped for with OLED is to reduce the number of layers in front of the light, thus meaning less power would be required to get the light through - Samsung’s Q-OLED would do this though it may never see the light of day with them postponing it. Even that would only slow down degradation rather than stop it.

Going back to HiSense - they seem to be FOS, but if they’re willing to back their wild claim with a 5 year burn in warranty then I’m all for it!

Hmm the title sounds good but if you read the article it sounds like they are BS’ing. The “six layer technology” has nothing to do with the physical OLED structure but is instead the same kind of software side features that the other OLED manufacturers are using (pixel shifting, monitoring static images etc, selectively reducing brightness etc).

By calling it it “six layer” they imply a different structure to the inherently weak OLED tech but it seems to be nothing of the sort. IMO an OLED that doesn’t suffer burn in is impossible unless someone figures out how to make a truly stable blue light emitter and that hasn’t been done at all, let alone at mass production levels.

The best that can be hoped for with OLED is to reduce the number of layers in front of the light, thus meaning less power would be required to get the light through - Samsung’s Q-OLED would do this though it may never see the light of day with them postponing it. Even that would only slow down degradation rather than stop it.

Going back to HiSense - they seem to be FOS, but if they’re willing to back their wild claim with a 5 year burn in warranty then I’m all for it!
Well said Sir

Samsung delayed in QD-OLED isn't official. Its just a rumor. There's been many delays and starts over the past 6 months. Let see what samsung displays shows at CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom