CES 2020 News: Sony announces 4K, 8K and OLED TVs

Update: it seems that Sony will have the next Gen tuner atsc 3.0 in the X900H models. To be activated with a software update at a later date.

Last edited:
For me, the question will be how much better is the 85ZH8 8K television than the 85XH95 4K television, and whether I would be happy with the lesser model (and how either compare with the ZD9 television from 2016.). Of course, as usual I'll have to rely on reviews, since I am highly unlikely to see both side by side. Come to that, I look forward to hearing how much better the 85ZH8 than last year's already excellent 85ZG9 television (which three weeks ago had a £4K price cut, from £14K to £10K).

So for the xh90 processor has been downgraded to just x1, xh95 will have wide angle at 55" for more choice (lol) so only 49" is viewing angle filter free.*

Also hdmi 2.1 confirmed for xh90 as there will be a future update? (Unlikely this will come to xf90/xg95). I don't know what to make of this years offerings.

*Sony website says sizes larger than 55" will have wide viewing angle filter while outlets say that 55" is included.

Last edited:
So for the xh90 processor has been downgraded to just x1, xh95 will have wide angle at 55" for more choice (lol) so only 49" is viewing angle filter free.

Also hdmi 2.1 confirmed for xh90 as there will be a future update? (Unlikely this will come to xf90/xg95). I don't know what to make of this years offerings.

Please tell me why the x wide is not desirable in the 55 inch model. I am interested in the x950G on sale or the 2020 X950H55 inch?

Please tell me why the x wide is not desirable in the 55 inch model. I am interested in the x950G on sale or the 2020 X950H55 inch?
It's a personal opinion don't take it as fact, just isn't my cup of tea.

Is the 4K HDR Processor X1 just Last years renamed X1 Extreme or is it a new design (with a very stupid name). If the XH90 and Xh80 have 4 high bandwidth HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 ports then it must be a redesign Since the X1 Extreme only supports full bandwidth on HDMI 2 and 3 Inputs. This may be answered when people at CES start asking questions at the Sony booth starting tomorrow.

Last edited:
Is the 4K HDR Processor X1 just Last years renamed X1 Extreme or is it a new design. If the XH90 and Xh80 have 4 high bandwidth HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 ports then it must be a redesign Since the X1 Extreme only supports full bandwidth on HDMI 2 and 3 Inputs. This may be answered when people at CES start asking questions at the Sony booth starting tomorrow.
Since every other 4k tv apart from the xh95 has the x1 processor I doubt it will be extreme which will mean extreme will be on almost all 4k TVs. If this is the case then Sony is splitting the xf90 and moving some features onto the xh95. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

While news outlets are reporting that the 55" XH95 will have X-Wide Angle, Sony themselves are saying "available on TVs larger than 55"," which would indicate 65" and up to my understanding.

While news outlets are reporting that the 55" XH95 will have X-Wide Angle, Sony themselves are saying "available on TVs larger than 55"," which would indicate 65" and up to my understanding.
I agree. We just have to be patient until there is more information.

Okay, this clears it up.

UK site: X-Wide Angle is available on models 55" and above.
US site: X-Wide Angle is available on TVs larger than 55 " (diag.).

The US description makes it sound like X-Wide Angle is available on 65" and up, but the UK is less confusing. Unless there is a difference between American and European models..?

What if any of the OLED models still offer the centre channel input option as found on 2018, 2019 sets

Okay, this clears it up.

The US description makes it sound like X-Wide Angle is available on 65" and up, but the UK is less confusing. Unless there is a difference between American and European models..?
I think we got bamboozled.

How many of these LED-LCDS TVs will outperform the ZD9 / X930e?

Agreed, currently have a XE93 I bought to replace a plasma due to the X1X coming out late 2017. The XH95 is about the only TV ive seen announced so far that is a potential replacement for me with the Xbox Series X due late 2020. New console features unfortunately drive my upgrades..and me and OLED do not get on(returned 3).

I am hoping for more dimming zones than the outgoing XG95, a perfect implementation of 2.1, and a irritation/limitation free OS.

I know Sony will let me down.

HDMI 2.1 must be coming to their OLEDs in a mid year range refresh then, given PS5? Which would be a smart move in maintaining price if so. Talk about a missed opportunity if not.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to XH95, might replace my 55XG9505 with a 65XH95 with wide viewing angle, 2.1 hdmi and maybe even better PQ and motion. But for XH90 it says 4K 120fps compatible (via a future software update) while nothing for XH95. :rolleyes:

Shame there is no 65 inch 8K TV. Samsung, I think, from now on.. They seem to have the edge on Sony, these days..

Shame there is no 65 inch 8K TV. Samsung, I think, from now on.. They seem to have the edge on Sony, these days..

Bruh Samsung, banding, DSE, black crush, Sony's X1 Ultimate processor is so much superior in sharpness and clearness that Sony's 4k will look like Samsungs 8k anyway. Who needs 8K anyway especially on 65", 4k is more then enaugh.

Sony have partialy updated their product page for the A8 Series OLEDs, it's still provisional, so I'm not getting my hopes up too much as yet.

It appears that they've rebadged last years A9 as this years A8 and possibly made some futher enhancements although that may be courtesy of the newer version of Android TV.

The upgrade from the X1 Extreme to the X1 Ultimate Processor suggests the addition of HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Atmos support plus a snapier Android TV experience. Assuming that it is a rebadge, then SONY might have also included the newer remote with the metalic finish and "proper" buttons.

I was tempted with the A8 on Black Friday and over Christmas, but held off because it didn't have HDMI 2.1 which means no eARC and no Dolby Atmos.

Wishful thinking, but it would be nice if they also kept the price at £1,299 :D

Okay, this clears it up.

and then you go deeper......
Beautiful colours from all sides
Watching TV from the sides is now as satisfying as from the centre. Sony's original optical design to control light from the backlight, the X-Wide Angle panel ensures colours stay true from wherever you're watching.

This feature is available on TVs larger than 55".

Just like on XG95. Actually I wonder if there will be any difference apart from even more pointlessly wide legs and backlit remote. And BS marketing like this x-balanced speaker...

and then you go deeper......
Beautiful colours from all sides
Watching TV from the sides is now as satisfying as from the centre. Sony's original optical design to control light from the backlight, the X-Wide Angle panel ensures colours stay true from wherever you're watching.

This feature is available on TVs larger than 55".

Just like on XG95. Actually I wonder if there will be any difference apart from even more pointlessly wide legs and backlit remote. And BS marketing like this x-balanced speaker...

Confusing! Well, we'll know for sure soon enough.

One small correction though, the 65" XG95 doesn't have X-Wide Angle; only the 75" and 85" models do.

The upgrade from the X1 Extreme to the X1 Ultimate Processor suggests the addition of HDMI 2.1
The AF9 from 2018 had the Ultimate processor, but only supported a fraction of the HDMI 2.1 spec - certainly not the support expected due to the work of LG, known capabilities of incoming new-gen consoles, etc.

Last edited:
"Sony has now added X-Motion Reality to its OLED TVs".

I assume you mean X-Motion Clarity.

Let's not confuse things more than is necessary with all these X-Motion/X-Reality thingamajigs.

HDR+, on the 48"?

I was looking at their current 55" A9 vs. Panasonic GZ950B and erring towards the latter due to HDR+.

Would prefer 48" though - any indication of physical dimensions?

My current TV has so far lasted 13 years so I want to go for the latest tech as I won't be changing every couple years for features!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom