CES 2020 News: Samsung launches 75-inch Micro LED TV - news discussion

Having only last year bought my 65" C8 OLED, I won't be in the market for a new tv for some years. Hopefully by then a 75" or larger Micro LED tv will be available at a reasonable price for my tv room. Reckon I could accommodate an 100" screen if it were modular. 4 50" panels assembled perhaps. Wouldn't get it up townhouse stairs otherwise.

I think what we really want to know is how close to consumer sold microLED at 65/75 inch. A year/two years longer? and at what price!!!!

Last edited:
I'll only get excited when it's at a "sensible" (sub £10k) price for 100 inch or size (<65"). Until then, no.

G

The usual press release but no thanks.

I saw the wall and LG micro led at IFA and while the wall was super impresive the micro led from LG was not even close for me...

Is 4k "enough" any more at the likely price point? I think Samsung is hoist by their own 8k marketing petard a little bit.

21:9 aspect ratio Micro LEDs might become interesting in a few years.

I think what we really want to know is how close to consumer sold microLED at 65/75 inch. A year/two years longer? and at what price!!!!
The 75-inch version is a consumer sold Micro LED TV and will be released this year. In fact I'm hoping to get a review sample in a few months, which has got me seriously jazzed.
I'll only get excited when it's at a "sensible" (sub £10k) price for 100 inch or size (<65"). Until then, no.
These TVs will be big initially, partly because the trend is towards larger screens, and partly because it's difficult to make Micro LED smaller. Yes it's going to be expensive, but bleeding edge tech always is. Don't forget, the first 4K I reviewed was from LG and released towards the end of 2012. Back then it had a screen size of 84 inches and cost £23,000!

@Steve Withers thank you for this and can’t wait for the review...I am just happy it is now a reality even if we will have to wait 2-3 generations /years for things to refine, smaller sizes and realistic prices...
Modular nature may mean we can choose our size in the future aka 58-60 :)
I don’t want 8k so I hope 4k will remain in scope for 55/65/75...
I will appreciate if you or Phil can confirm 4k will remain...

It will be interesting to get some idea of the cost of the new 75" MicroLED.

To put it into perspective, when Samsung beat LG in the race to make the first large screen OLED back in 2013 with the 55" KE55S9C, that had a price of £7,000. Six years later and a 55" OLED is now around £1,200 - a cost reduction of around 80%.

Even with the improvement in yields and the corresponding price reduction for OLED, a 77" OLED today costs around £6,000.

So I would be impressed if Samsung can get a 75" MicroLED anywhere near £10,000.

To put it into perspective, when Samsung beat LG in the race to make the first large screen OLED back in 2013 with the 55" KE55S9C, that had a price of £7,000. Six years later and a 55" OLED is now around £1,200 - a cost reduction of around 80%.

Even with the improvement in yields and the corresponding price reduction for OLED, a 77" OLED today costs around £6,000.

So I would be impressed if Samsung can get a 75" MicroLED anywhere near £10,000.
Let’s hope so....
According to this article, a fifth of 75 cost by 2026....
Would love to know the starting price today for 75 inch micro led,,,20-30k?

OTOH, you could get a 55" OLED for 2200-2500€ in September 2014, so the first year's price reduction was very quick in that case. One reason for Samsung dropping out of OLED, I'm sure.

One question is, will the 75" MicroLED be more or less expensive than the 77" LG 8k OLED? (the 4k 77" C9 has hit 3999€ price a couple times here so far, it's close but not quite a mass market item yet)

The cost of manufacturing 55- and 65-inch OLEDs ultimately dropped significantly because LG ramped up production on those sizes and the viable yields significantly increased. The larger 77 and 88-inch screen sizes are still only produced in very small numbers, so there are less economies of scale and thus they cost a lot more.

Theoretically, if Micro LED uses a standard sized module regardless of screen size, there are potential economies of scale open to Samsung, especially as they become cheaper and easier to make, with better viable yields.

@Steve Withers Modular nature may mean we can choose our size in the future aka 58-60. I don’t want 8k so I hope 4k will remain in scope for 55/65/75... I will appreciate if you or Phil can confirm 4k will remain...
A modular design does mean you can choose different screen sizes, but the smallest screen size will depend on the number of pixels on each module. At present it looks like 75 inches is the smallest screen with a minimum of 4K resolution. My guess is the actual resolutions of the 88-, 93- and 110-inch versions are more than 4K but not enough to be classed as 8K, so they only accept up to 4K and scale to their native resolution. The 150- and 292-inch models are capable of native resolutions of at least 8K, and once again I'm betting the native resolution of the 292-inch model is actually more than 8K, but the display scales all content up to 8K to match its actual resolution. This is the only thing that makes sense if you constructing all these screen sizes using the same basic modules as building blocks.

So excited by the prospect of watching my Columbo DVDs on a 150" MicroLED in 10 years time

"My wife would love the modular design....may i ask how much a tv like that would cost..?"

No burn-in but you need to stick it together like a jigsaw and at what cost??

Be interesting to see how many consumer versions they actually sell.

No burn-in but you need to stick it together like a jigsaw and at what cost??

Be interesting to see how many consumer versions they actually sell.

There are fixed size panels too, starting at 75”. It’s not all modular.

There are fixed screen sizes from 75 to 93 inches, but as far as I'm aware the panels are still composed of the modules.

But it’s delivered as one ‘piece’ so the consumer doesn’t have to put it together?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom