Quantcast

CES 2020 News: Panasonic launches HZ2000 flagship 4K OLED TV

Slugsy01

For my wallet’s sake, I hope it doesn’t have all those wish for features Steve as I don’t think I could resist a Panny with custom panel, higher peak and average brightness, Apple TV+, HDMI 2.1 and eArc!

tigertimtim

Steve Withers @ Any chance you can find out if Panasonic will finally be supporting DTS.X audio and re instating Freesat on thier tv's please....also will there be another step down model from the HZ2000 and will that be an exclusive again ?

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Come on Pany, give us the customised panel version of the HZ950 with all hdmi 2.1 features !!

Sky watsher

Standard Member

It's basically TV adjusting DV content based on ambient light and viewing condition. think of it as a light sensor, LG anounced it today in their conference too

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I don't know, but given Panasonic has one eye on the professional market with these TVs, I'm guessing it will stick with 55- and 65-inch screen sizes.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Googling, I spotted a Japanese website saying it has Dolby Vision IQ, what the ’flocks’ that’s?
As someone has already pointed out, it's Dolby Vision combined with a light sensor in the TV that adjusts the dynamic tone mapping based on the ambient light in the room. The new LG OLEDs have it as well.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Steve Withers @ Any chance you can find out if Panasonic will finally be supporting DTS.X audio and re instating Freesat on thier tv's please....also will there be another step down model from the HZ2000 and will that be an exclusive again ?
No TV manufacturer supports DTS:X as far as I'm aware, and there isn't much point. All the streaming services use Dolby Atmos, which is why it dominates the TV manufacturers. I wouldn't hold your breath on Freesat either.

Base13

No news on other Panasonic OLED TVs? I see Sony have announced a 48”, so LG are not keeping that size within the family, and I’d love to see a Panasonic version.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I suspect we won't get much else from Panasonic until the European Convention in February.

Bobby86

No TV manufacturer supports DTS:X as far as I'm aware, and there isn't much point. All the streaming services use Dolby Atmos, which is why it dominates the TV manufacturers. I wouldn't hold your breath on Freesat either.
So I guess this article from last year DTS:X decoder to feature in TVs from late 2019 in regards to DTS:X decoding coming to tvs later in 2019 which obviously didn't happen will again not be available for 2020 sets, I believe MediaTek announced support last year Get DTS:X first on MediaTek Smart TVs for it's latest SoC, so I guess it's a possibility that Sony's 2020 lineup may see DTS:X decoding that is if they decide to upgrade their MediaTek SoC for 2020 which seems most unlikely.

Moonda

So are Panasonic’s going to be sold in the USA again?

I’m not from there, but seeing as CES is in America, I’m wondering why Panasonic is there sprucing their TVs?

bogart99

A
Agree and personally think in a few years Freesat will be a distant memory.

Deepan

Standard Member
All Panasonic had to do this year was to release a version of the fantastic GZ2000 (ofcourse with incremental improvement) without the dolby atmos speakers (cut price & thickness), add true HDMI 2.1, make it 120Hz, add full support for VRR & ALLM while reducing input lag further down if possible and support new video codecs ready now for implementation. And maybe even a 75-77inch size if they can get screen uniformity as good as their 55 & 65 inch version.

I mean it is kinda obvious thats what many of us consumers wished for the GZ2000 to have. Looks like i have to settle for the LG OLEDs.

Last edited:

TRIPLE A

All Panasonic had to do this year was to release a version of the fantastic GZ2000 (ofcourse with incremental improvement) without the dolby atmos speakers (cut price & thickness), add true HDMI 2.1, make it 120Hz, add full support for VRR & ALLM while reducing input lag further down if possible and support new video codecs ready now for implementation. And maybe even a 75-77inch size if they can get screen uniformity as good as their 55 & 65 inch version.

I mean it is kinda obvious thats what many of us consumers wished for the GZ1000 to have. Looks like i have to settle for the LG OLEDs.
Yeah this looks like a missed opportunity. Given new-gen consoles this year, gamers are where the TV market opportunity is currently and they'll happily take LG's slightly worse PQ for movies in exchange for full fat 4K 120fps, etc., for gaming.
Of course it could be that Panny is planning a mid-year range refresh then including HDMI 2.1, in order to maintain pricing and perhaps get some repeat business - which I assume is what Sony is doing too given their obvious gaming interests.

Last edited:

blacksheep99

I probably read it wrong. This is what they say.

HDMI*13HDMI2 (side), 2 (rear)
HDMI (4K 60/50p with HDCP2.2)4
Support FeatureeARC(Audio Return Channel (Input 2))
HDMI2.1 Auto low Latency mode

Sky watsher

Standard Member
Last edited:

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of fudging when it comes to HDMI this year.

Trending threads

Latest News

Bowers & Wilkins CEO leaves amid restructuring
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Xbox Series X, more specs confirmed
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Disney+ announces discount for European launch