CES 2020 News: LG TVs to support Apple TV on 2020, 2019 and 2018 models - news discussion

I like it that they keep updating the Software on older Models. TVs should be products that stay in your home for a minimum of 6 years. We cannot all finance an upgrade every year. LG should maybe think about a subscription based TV rental in where we get an upgrade each year to keep up with new features.

But with this update my W8 65" won't feel that old anymore.

As an owner of a 2018 OLED this is good news. It’s good to see a TV over a year old being supported and it makes perfect sense for Apple if they are to grow their subscriber base.

Its not really updating software on older models - its just an app. Disney just went ahead and released theirs for several model years without any drama, Apple went exclusive with Samsung for 2019.
Most LG firmware features dont reach even the previous year - I think the £1500+ cost of a TV should already allow a few years of OS updates.

I think the £1500+ cost of a TV should already allow a few years of OS updates.
I totally agree, and have commented on this in the past when previous TVs failed to receive even minor functionality added to the next years model. This is only an app, but even that isn’t a guarantee on TVs older than a year. I remember on a previous Panasonic TV I had the Netflix app was never updated to play in HDR despite the TV being capable (potentially this could be down to Netflix to be fair). Personally I think TVs should be supported with OS updates for as long as phones and games consoles, but it doesn’t appear to happen very often.

Two q’s;
- when is it out, more precisely
- how will quality/bitrate compare versus this on the Apple TV device

I'd imagine sooner rather than later. It's well known that the sticks dont support Atmos for ATV and maybe not DV too. They can get away with no DV on Samsung but it will stand out on LG especially compared with Disney+. They might also try to access lower quality streams, again to differentiate from the ATV 4K, but again people will quickly spot that. Last year the ATV 4K still made sense for C8 owners if you wanted iTunes/ATV+in DV/Atmos but I would hold off buying one for now.

Not sure I understand this. It's an app. It should run on ANY WebOS TV, not just new models.

I can only assume LG see this as a way to sell new TVs, in which case, consider me (as an LG customer) deeply unimpressed. It's cynical, grubby, shameless, and greedy. It will definitely influence my purchasing decisions in future,

It's a shame LG can't add Apple HomeKit capability to 2018 models too, would be great to turn the LG C8 on via a HomeKit Automation. :(

I believe Homekit requires some sort of Apple hardware authentication, which *may* not be possible with older TVs.

Or it could just be a cash grab.

LG dont produce apps - thats down to content providers so if you're annoyed at no ATV app for LG during 2019 because of the exclusive with Samsung and none announced for 2017/2016 models I would look to Apple. Some parts of an app - the codec etc - are likely part of WebOS but if Apple are using HEVC then it shouldnt need much of a TV firmware update if any.

Homekit/Airplay however sound more like "features" and we know LG like other manufacturers add features each year for new models only.

I have the OLED LG 65 C8 2018 but was build in 2019 I don't see the Apple+ app unless they're talking about Airplay .

I like it that they keep updating the Software on older Models. TVs should be products that stay in your home for a minimum of 6 years. We cannot all finance an upgrade every year. LG should maybe think about a subscription based TV rental in where we get an upgrade each year to keep up with new features.

But with this update my W8 65" won't feel that old anymore.

Are you insane? I do not and never will subscribe to a TV. I agree they should be far better in supporting older models - that could help separate them from the competition.

This subscription of everything is cancer. Sure it makes sense with Netflix or Spotify - actually really economical when a group are all pitching in. But things like TV's, cars etc is just saying you can't really afford that thing and should be buying something cheaper.

Is there anything worth watching on Apple tv+?

I have an old Apple tv box but since buying my C8 OLED with Netflix and Prime built in I rarely use it. Every now and again I might rent a movie. However, if it were an app on my tv that I could use in 4K HDR I would probably use it more often. I wasn't going to buy the Apple 4K tv box as I felt it was too expensive for the odd movie.

Last edited:
Key question - will it support Dolby Vision & Atmos. It doesn't on anything other than Apple's own 4k box right now.

if we find it does not if you got the new LG models or the 2019 range then use a iPad or iPhone to airplay them to the tv and you,will get Dolby vision and Atmos without problems

The reason some of us went ATV 4K was iTunes moves. If you're happy to go physical UHD disk (better PQ and noticeably better SQ) then this doent apply, but 4K films on iTunes can be quite cheap if you wait for sales and are often DV and/or Atmos. ATV+ is there if you want it and like any streaming service you can sub for a couple of months to watch the series of interest.

If Airplay is casting then the TV must be doing the streaming and so there's no good reason for the app - at least on 2019 models - to not have DV/Atmos also, if Airplay on LG already does. But this is Apple I suppose.

I got Disney+ via my OLED and the Sound and PQ beats AppleTV hands down .

Thats an interesting result. We've got a couple of months to wait for D+ to judge ourselves. There's big variations in film mastering but from reviews of D+ SWU films and Mandolorian (HDR and Atmos aspects) I doubt if they beat Aquaman and Alita on Itunes or See etc on ATV+, in DV/Atmos on ATV 4K

Is there anything worth watching on Apple tv+?

I have an old Apple tv box but since buying my C8 OLED with Netflix and Prime built in I rarely use it. Every now and again I might rent a movie. However, if it were an app on my tv that I could use in 4K HDR I would probably use it more often. I wasn't going to buy the Apple 4K tv box as I felt it was too expensive for the odd movie.

"For all mankind" and "The Morning Show" are good but I'll probably cancel my sub when I've finished watching them.

Their streaming is top notch & D been doing films and audio way before ATV so they sure know a thing or two about PQ & SQ . The Disney streaming worth a 100 billion dollars for company that just started a few short months ago .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom