Question CES 2020 AVR's?

GAmbrose

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So I was hoping for a slew of HDMI 2.1 AVR's to be announced at this CES, but a quick google for my go-to brand (Denon) reveals nothing of note.

Any ideas what's going on? Are AVRs too niche for them to bother with CES?

I was wondering the same thing,nearly all the leaked news on here have been TVs

Yesterday was press conference for the big TV companies. Usually we get the smaller brands put out press releases on the first day of CES which is today. Hopefully we will hear more as the day goes on (US time).

But it does seem very quiet on the sound front. (No pun intended!)

The emphasis has been on soundbars which appeal to a much wider potential customer base. The sale of AV receivers are on the decline while the sale of soundbars are increasing.

The only new thing you'll be seeing this year is the introduction of models inclusive of HDMI version 2.1. These models will basically be the same receivers as previous, but with the newer version of HDMI implemented.

The emphasis has been on soundbars which appeal to a much wider potential customer base. The sale of AV receivers are on the decline while the sale of soundbars are increasing.

The only new thing you'll be seeing this year is the introduction of models inclusive of HDMI version 2.1. These models will basically be the same receivers as previous, but with the newer version of HDMI implemented.

That's exactly what I want before upgrading my Denon AVR-X3200W :)

It would be strange if this year's Denon werent HDMI 2.1, especially with 8K TVs being launched. HDR10+ would also be useful and pass through for gsync for Nvidia GPUs.
They seem to follow a price curve so it might be well into 2021 before they become more affordable, the 6xxx now seem to be priced a lot higher than my 6200. Hopefully GPUs will get HDMI 2.1 this year too.

i've read nothing,has anyone who attended ces from the forum made any enquiries?.
find it strange seeing no amps have been released last year that they have'nt made any statements about this years models,would'nt mind knowing if yamaha are bringing out an 11 channel amp/receiver and when.

This is in French so has probably been missed.

screenshot2020-01-10-maison-adam-au-ces2020-jour-3-audio-yamaha.png

1-985300.png

Last edited:
Also German hi fi site has the same,but no English sites?but it seems there is no info that the a8 actually has 11 amplifiers.
Why no mention of the new amps on this site?

Indeed I could find the information here: Yamaha 2020 Serie vorgestellt m. 8K HDMI 2.1, Yamaha - HIFI-FORUM

The linked video has been turned to private:

There are some words about the new Yamaha RX series in their written article: Audio | Yamaha | CES 2020 | Jour 3 | Maison Adam
Les nouveaux récepteurs de cinéma maison de Yamaha

Ensuite, nous avons pu voir en primeur les nouveaux prototypes des récepteurs cinéma maison de Yamaha. Il faut dire que la marque a la réputation de fabriquer des récepteurs cinéma extrêmement fiables, tout en étant très conservateurs au niveau du design. Pour la prochaine génération, la finition des séries RXV et RXA a été complètement revue. Un vent de fraîcheur qui fait du bien et qui modernise la marque. Il y aura deux récepteurs cinéma entrée de gamme RXV et quatre récepteurs cinéma haut de gamme RXA. Bien entendu, Yamaha n’a pas seulement revu le design. Ces nouveaux récepteurs seront compatibles avec les téléviseurs 8K et possèderont également des entrées HDMI 2.1. Au niveau des améliorations concernant leurs performances audio, peu de détails ont circulés à l’exception d’un mode audio qui simule les effets sonores ATMOS à partir d’un ensemble 5.1 ou 7.2. Nous avons assisté à une démonstration dans une salle et nous avons retenu que l’ambiance cinéma était clairement au rendez-vous.
But all possible pics have been removed.

They talk about "prototypes" so maybe Yamaha kindly asked them to remove any picture because the final design might change?

Last edited:
I tried finding out whether my current AV Receiver would support HDMI 2.1 and eArc by sending in an enquiry to Yamaha but have heard zero back.

Would anyone here know whether the Yamaha YHT-1840 AV Receiver supports HDMI 2.1 and eArc?

No current HDMI version 2.0 (2.0b) equipped AV receiver can be updated to HDMI version 2.1. The full spec requires a new HDMI chipset. Some features associated with HDMI version 2.1 such as eARC can be implimented using HDMI 2.0b chipsets, but not the full HDMI version 2.1 spec or its abilities.

No HDMI version 2.0 equipped device can be updated to HDMI version 2.1 via a software revision.

It isn't just the HDMI chipset either. There are other hardware issues that cannot be resolved via revising the AV receivers software.

Would anyone here know whether the Yamaha YHT-1840 AV Receiver supports HDMI 2.1 and eArc?

It will never be HDMI 2.1 and will never be updated to give it eARC compliance.

Last edited:
So is the Yamaha that I have a HDMI 2.0b Receiver?

What AV Receiver's are HDMI 2.1 capable?

No current receiver is HDMI version 2.1 capable. They all require a totally different chipset that is specifically made to fascilitate what is required of HDMI version 2.1. You'd need to replace hardware and the HDMI board on a current AV receiver to give it full HDMI version 2.1 compliance. People should get it out of their head that a firmware update is all that is needed to added new abilities and or features.

No idea as to the exact version your receiver is in alignment with, but it has no Dolby Vision or HLG passthrough and lacks eARC. It was however updated to give it HDCP 2.3 compliance.

Last edited:
So any TV someone buys that is HDMI 2.1 capable, they then get a next gen console with HDMI 2.1, but if their setup uses an AV Receiver, they won't get the benefits of HDMI 2.1 features, because as I understand it, every device in the chain needs to have HDMI 2.1 for the features to be used?

Depends upon the feature in question and whether or not all the devices in the chain support that feature. eARC for instances is a features introduced in association with HDMI version 2.1, but can be implemented in association some HDMI version 2.0b chipsets, but both the TV and the AV receiver or sounbar would need to be eARC compliant in order to use eARC.

No AV receiver is currently fully HDMI version 2.1 compliant. No current AV recever would meet the test criteria enabling it to be called or declared an HDMI 2.1 equipped device.

The TVs that publically make it known that they are HDMI 2.1 have passed the required certification criteria.

Those new yamahas look good. Hope the rx range get a similar facelift.

RX-A8 = Nachfolger des RX-A3080
RX-A6 = Nachfolger des RX-A2080
RX-A4 = Nachfolger des RX-A1080
RX-A2 = Nachfolger des RX-A880

RX-V6 = Nachfolger des RX-V685
RX-V4 = Nachfolger des RX-V485

Equivalents
So I will await the v6 as I was going to buy the 685 and want an 8k tv.

We want bigger TV's but only want a soundbar for the sound. Awesome. Lol.

I mean, practically speaking, sound bars make A LOT of sense.

They take up less room, a kid can't topple one of your expensive floor standing speakers on their delicate heads, You don't need much in the way of DIY skills or cabling to install it and it likely won't annoy your neighbours (as much) etc etc.

But then if you want the best you can get (like me), you're going to stick with separates.

When are these Yamaha's actually going to be available I wonder? Surely other 2.1 AVRs can't be far behind, but seems odd no one is talking about it. CES would have been a great opportunity, but even Yamaha who had their product on display there seem to be keeping it under the radar somewhat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom