CES 2019 News: Technics announces Premium Class Direct Drive SL-1500C turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Steve Withers, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Andy Bassett

Andy Bassett
      Standard Member Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
    2. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +982
      Aside from automatically raising the tone arm at the end of the record, is it a manual turntable (i.e. You need to manually lift the tone arm onto the record)?

Many thanks.

3. kipper15

kipper15

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      I believe it is, yes.

4. kipper15

kipper15

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      So now I find myself in something of a dilemna....

I recently acquired the Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB DC Limited Edition Beatles White Album Edition.

But as yet I haven't set it up.

Now Technics announce this turntable. Realistically, I don't have space or need for another turntable but depending on the price I still might be tempted. I would switch the stylus out for an Ortofon 2M Blue one, which I already have as I purchased a spare for the 2M Blue cartridge I had fitted to my old Rega P3 (which the Pro-Ject was purchased to replace).

I have always liked Technics gear. My first ever separates system was all-Technics, except the speakers, back in 1987. The turntable was a Technics SL-DD33, which I sold about 7 years later when I bought a Rega Planar 2. It was sold to a friend of mine - he still uses it and it's still working perfectly!

I always liked the SL1200/1210 decks back in the day and very nearly bought one instead of the Rega P3. But I felt it was a deck more suited to DJ use than home hi-fi (rightly or wrongly).

The thing is I already have a decent phono preamp in my NAD integrated amp, so wouldn't use the built-in one on the SL-1500C but I understand that many would. I wonder if will Panasonic/Technics will release a version without a built-in phono preamp?

I've also noticed a few places selling the SL-1200/1210 GR decks for £1,129 including an Ortfon 2M Blue cartridge. That seems like a good value deal to me, even if some of the features are not needed for typical home use hi-fi applications.

How will the new SL-1500C likely to compare in terms of build quality and sound vs the 1200/1210 GR? And I wonder what the RRP will be. I think the SL-1500C needs to have an RPP under £1,000 but that's just me...