CES 2019 News: Sony unveils XG95, XG90, XG85 TV line-up

Still with the ungainly feet I see. They're so ugly. Their former XE model stands were so much smarter looking (similar to current Panasonic stands).

I know they're supposedly designed to accommodate their soundbar, but that's where all TV manufacturers miss a trick in my opinion.

Why can't they make a TV stand that can be raised or lowered depending on your needs? Want a soundbar or even a big centre speaker? Raise it up a notch or 3. Sorted. But of course it couldn't possibly be that simple could it?

So instead because manufacturers can't make flexible stands, they force themselves and their poor sound engineers to try and generate decent sound from a squat flat soundbar with tiny speakers pointing at your knees! That's why most soundbars sound pretty awful IMO. So if they'd only make stands that could be made higher, they could create sound speakers with decent size drivers, not unlike the shape of the Naim Mu-so for example.

Lack of joined up thinking methinks. They should get soundbar designers & centre speaker designers in the same room as TV designers - clearly no manufacturer has done that yet.

Thank you Steve
Please note that 55 and 65 don't have wide viewing angles (hurray!!!)...just the big sizes for XG95... easy too check and sony europe just uploaded a youtube video and clarifying this point i just made.

I hate the legs...they didn't even bother...but keeping an open mind...X6 contrast seems super poor but lets see the reviews and in the flesh...

Hdmi 2.1 also mentioned but will be good to have confirmation

I notice that the XG85 series, unlike the XG90 and XG95 series, the XG85 series is LED but does not mention Full Array, so I presume that the XG85 series is only edge-lit?

Why can't they make a TV stand that can be raised or lowered depending on your needs? Want a soundbar or even a big centre speaker? Raise it up a notch or 3. Sorted. But of course it couldn't possibly be that simple could it?
The AG8 does precisely that.

• Ideal for a soundbar; rotate the stand 180° and it will rise up so you can easily place the soundbar by the TV.

Weird that the XG90 is only listed as a 49 inch option - is that due to error, or are they only doing it in a 49 inch flavour?

Weird that the XG90 is only listed as a 49 inch option - is that due to error, or are they only doing it in a 49 inch flavour?
THe xg90 is an xg95 without the four speaker and at 49...same otherwise

So there's no middle ground between the XG85 and 95?

Perhaps the XF90 was too well priced

Thank you Steve
Please note that 55 and 65 don't have wide viewing angles (hurray!!!)...just the big sizes for XG95... easy too check and sony europe just uploaded a youtube video and clarifying this point i just made.

I hate the legs...they didn't even bother...but keeping an open mind...X6 contrast seems super poor but lets see the reviews and in the flesh...

balls, Just as put my projector up for sale and make the decision to go 75. grrrrrr

So nothing from Sony under 49" this year?! Whelp, I'm screwed! Looks like I'd better hurry up and grab one of the 2018 models.

So nothing from Sony under 49" this year?! Whelp, I'm screwed! Looks like I'd better hurry up and grab one of the 2018 models.

Sony don’t announce their full range at CES. They only announce their upper tier models so the XG80/70 etc will be announced in next few months.

Sony don’t announce their full range at CES. They only announce their upper tier models so the XG80/70 etc will be announced in next few months.
Ah, got you. Thanks for clarifying. So the question still remains for me: do I wait or buy one now? I can't see 43" getting any more love going forward.

So there's no middle ground between the XG85 and 95?

Perhaps the XF90 was too well priced
Why do you need a middle ground? The xg85 is an xf90 with better soc and viewing angle on top...probably worse contrast because of that...
But no one knows truly how the wide angle deteriorate a panel with good native contrast...may not be too bad

Why do you need a middle ground? The xg85 is an xf90 with better soc and viewing angle on top...probably worse contrast because of that...
But no one knows truly how the wide angle deteriorate a panel with good native contrast...may not be too bad

XG85 doesn’t seem similar to XF90 - no fald on the spec sheet?

XG85 doesn’t seem similar to XF90 - no fald on the spec sheet?
You are right...interesting...
So there is no fald with extreme processor

The XF85 used an IPS panel; if the XG follows in its footsteps, it too will use an IPS panel, which is an instant no buy for me. Viewing angles aren't a problem for me as I sit dead on from my TV.

I was hoping for a step up from the XG85 with improved HDR performance and the quicker processor without having to step up to the XG95 - if prices are similar to the XE85 & XE95/93, then that's a very large gap; the XE85 was, really, the entry level TV for a decent HDR experience, and the XE90 was a nice step up from that with increased brightness, but without the XE93+ pricing.

Thank you Steve

The smaller sizes not having "X-Wide Angle" is a relief, since I'm in the market for a 55" TV. Maybe they opted not to include it on those models because of the lower amount of zones? Would have been a complete disaster of poor contrast and blooming, perhaps.

You are right...interesting...
So there is no fald with extreme processor

Actually, the XG90 uses the X1 Extreme processor. Check Sony's site, or the XG90 video they uploaded. So it seems they're basically carrying over the XF90 for the 49" class, while 55"-85" is more of a properly new TV.

Edit: Kend3591 just pointed out the same thing. :)

Very interesting that there's so much variation this year. 49" XG90, and then the 55"/65" XG95 and 75"/85" XG95 are pretty much different TVs when you factor in the presence and absence of X-Wide Angle. The reviewers will have to review different sizes this year if they want to cover everything.

Having looked again, the XG90 looks like a lightly fettled XF90. Guessing Sony are trying to make the XG95 the premium model....

Having looked again, the XG90 looks like a lightly fettled XF90. Guessing Sony are trying to make the XG95 the premium model....
That’s a bit weird still
They should have release a 49xg95 with ultimate...and a 55xg90 with extreme

This could have mirrored the xe90 and xe93 approach even if latter never came in 49...

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom