CES 2019 News: Sony unveils UBP-X800M2 4K Blu-ray player

I'm simply not buying a sony BDP now, I'm jumping to Panny. Im fed up with this stupid menu option change on a per disc basis. If I forget to change back from DV then my next disc turns the TV to DV even if it isn't DV and then I have to quit the loading and set it all up. Really really frustrating and having to pour over the blu ray box to try and find out if its DV or not, I Bin half my cases and store the discs in wallets so its no good to me.

I have $200 in my amazon account.com account and when it is transferred to my .co.uk account I will be ordering a Panny. They seem to have amazing video quality too!

Sounds like the Pana's are the better players then, insert the disc and forget about it!
Wouldn't even want to start explaining to my wife (and kid) how they need to change settings on a per disc basis ;)

But does it support HDMI 2.1 and VRR, for things like seamless frame rate matching of content? Or is that for next year's model?
And so what?

2.1hdmi will be useful for 8k discs at 60hz and 120hz
VRR will be useful for variable refresh rate discs that have game play

So not really going to loose any sleep there or need to need to buy another HDMI 2.1 cert. cable

Sounds like the Pana's are the better players then, insert the disc and forget about it!
Wouldn't even want to start explaining to my wife (and kid) how they need to change settings on a per disc basis ;)

Is this issue from the X700, going to be carried over to the new X800 then? I can’t be bothered changing that DV setting every time.

What do you mean, the X700 doesn't auto detect DV ?
Nope but to be honest I can leave it on with my TV. But it will be different for other TVs.

*edit* Just checked and it looks like I have quite a few DV discs so I probably don't have to switch from DV mode that often.

I hope finally this x800m2 can support mkv file with Dolby atmos encoded.

I’ve decided to wait for the release of this rather than getting the Panasonic Ub820.

I trialled the Panny and the menus are way too dated for me and USB playback support is very limited.

This seems to tick all the boxes and apparently the X-800 is built like a tank which is a bonus considering this looks identical.

I also own a Sony TV, not sure if that would make a difference but hopefully they will talk sense to eachother :laugh:

It doesn't know if it's a DV disc. It's switchable and not on all the time. Has some use in that you can compare a DV disc with it on or off for HDR10, or force a HDR10 disc to play in DV. Some people make a big fuss it's not auto but it takes seconds to change.

Are you saying that you have to go into the settings to change to Dolby Vision ?? I bought the 700 for friends months ago & to my knowledge we haven't had to go into any settings ? ( They have a LG C7 TV. )

Are you saying that you have to go into the settings to change to Dolby Vision ?? I bought the 700 for friends months ago & to my knowledge we haven't had to go into any settings ? ( They have a LG C7 TV. )
Yes. If you switch it on, it plays all discs in DV whether they are HDR10, SD Blu-ray and presumably DVD.

You have to go in at least once to turn DV on AFAIK. I had to after the DV firmware update. Might be different for newer players which have the DV firmware update already factory installed.
Yes. If you switch it on, it plays all discs in DV whether they are HDR10, SD Blu-ray and presumably DVD.
Not DVD

Oh right, didn't know that. I assume we made sure DV was selected in the player menu, but i can't recall ?

So if it isn't selected, then the LG TV is doing the DV, so to speak ! ? Dolby Vision appears on the screen, no matter what disc is being played.

I don't have Dolby Vision myself, but the Dolby Vision discs they own, i can see an obvious improvent in all aspects of picture. I will have to check their player when i next visit.

Oh right, didn't know that. I assume we made sure DV was selected in the player menu, but i can't recall ?

So if it isn't selected, then the LG TV is doing the DV, so to speak !
No, if it isn't selected DV in the player is off, and as it takes two to do the DV tango you wouldn't get DV showing on the TV.
Dolby Vision appears on the screen, no matter what disc is being played.
A clear indication DV is on in a X700.

Some people seem to have one already. Reviews are starting to appear on YouTube, and unfortunately it looks like you have to manually turn on and off DV still.

Can’t find this player anywhere no London retailers have it Sony rep at John Lewis never heard of this new player and Sony UK unable to assist in availability. It is a disgraceful and shoddy state of affairs IMO highly unprofessional.does anyone know if this actively available in the UK??

Can’t find this player anywhere no London retailers have it Sony rep at John Lewis never heard of this new player and Sony UK unable to assist in availability. It is a disgraceful and shoddy state of affairs IMO highly unprofessional.does anyone know if this actively available in the UK??
It's been released in the USA but not so far in the UK. Expected in late summer to autumn AFAIK. Amazon.de has availability as 1 - 3 months, amazon.fr as 1-2 months.

thanks It really is a disgraceful state of affairs when no one at Sony UK has a clue as to when and IF this ever gets released over here in the UK especially as the Uk blu ray industry is dying on its feet. A few retailers I have spoken to donbt it will get here at all and at the earliest late autumn. Cant be bothered can anyone recommend around the same price a solidly built player of similar pedigree

I was waiting for this but in the end purchased a UB820. I don’t really need SACD support so didn’t bother me.

Although I prefer the construction (aesthetics) of the X800 by all regards the 820 is an excellent piece of kit. Essentially identical video and audio (for films at least) performance as the UB9000 minus the higher quality chassis and a few features.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom