CES 2019 News: Panasonic announces UB450 and UB150 4K UHD BD players

Any indications of pricing of the UB450?
Could move the entry price point of (Panasonic) Dolby Vision lower if it is similar to the UB420. This news may explain why Currys have been dumping their UB420s off recently...

Also seen mention of a UB159 which adds two HDMI outputs to the UB150 spec.
But no mention whether these new models have the HDR Optimiser feature which the UB420 had, and the lower spec UB320 didn't. Perhaps Panasonic is keeping that feature for the UB820 and UB9000 to protect sales of their higher priced models...

Last edited:
@doug56hl if you are looking, the 820 can be had for a very good price if you check the review thread.

What on earth is the first part all about? Could that not have been omitted? Lol

Imo the hdr optimiser is so good on the Panasonics it makes Dolby Vision almost [but not quite] superfluous.

What I'd like to see is Netflix and Amazon apps that support 24p for frame rate changes etc. At the moment the Panasonic apps are limited to 60p only, which is a bit of a shame given their otherwise excellent credentials.

Atmos support in Amazon and Netflix would also be nice.

So with this new 450 with both new HDR formats, what exactly would the 820 have to buy that still?
HDR optimizer for ‘regular’ HDR? Can’t find a mentioning of that for the 450?

Not in the market for one, just wondering :)

So with this new 450 with both new HDR formats, what exactly would the 820 have to buy that still?
HDR optimizer for ‘regular’ HDR? Can’t find a mentioning of that for the 450?

Not in the market for one, just wondering :)

I believe it’s the analogue outs that will be the key difference between both. 450 will have the optimiser

Thanks!

I believe it’s the analogue outs that will be the key difference between both. 450 will have the optimiser

I wonder if the video processing side is the same? If it is then I will just buy one of these as I was planning on the 820 but surely they will have neutered the video side on this? I have no need of analogue outputs. I just want good picture quality and Dolby vision support that is better than my stupid Sony that requires menu faff before and after every Dolby vision disc.

I wonder if the video processing side is the same? If it is then I will just buy one of these as I was planning on the 820 but surely they will have neutered the video side on this? I have no need of analogue outputs. I just want good picture quality and Dolby vision support that is better than my stupid Sony that requires menu faff before and after every Dolby vision disc.

Panasonic don’t generally do different processors in their range. For example, I have a UB390 from their first gen range, but it has the same chip as the flagship UB900 from the same range. They tend to differentiate with added features like a display, added ports etc.

Panasonic don’t generally do different processors in their range. For example, I have a UB390 from their first gen range, but it has the same chip as the flagship UB900 from the same range. They tend to differentiate with added features like a display, added ports etc.

That's pretty interesting, thanks. I have an Amazon voucher waiting to get a new player, I may just hold off now and save some £

The studios also need to stop giving Apple iTunes - or anybody else - UK exclusives on UHD HDR content for rental and purchase.

For example, AFAIK its not possible to rent or buy Deadpool 2 in 4K HDR on Amazon Video. Until they are more consistent re availability, UK consumers will reason that HDR and expanded colour are not important.

I'm glad I own the UB420 for 4k discs as the HDR quality is amazing, but AFAIK there is practically no competition to Apple TV 4k in the UK if you want to stream HDR rentals. I thought Amazon would step up, and complete the Panasonic offering but so far, the UK market is being controlled by Apple, and also lacks Movies Everywhere and Vudu.

UB150 will maybe soon drop to sub-100€ price point? The model number seems to indicate it is positioned as a cheap and cheerful disc player.

That's pretty interesting, thanks. I have an Amazon voucher waiting to get a new player, I may just hold off now and save some £

Just be careful not to go below the ub420 series, as anything below omits the HDR optimiser feature.

There is a considerable price gap between the UB820 and UB9000.Why does Panasonic release all those small increments for only 50€ more or less between the next model up or down. Why don’t they make a model between the UB820 and 9000 like a UB8500 with the chassis of the UB9000 but throwing out all analog outs/dacs for a price of 750-800€.

Why dont Panasonic offer features with firmware upgades, instead of releasing new models every year.

Maybe they should spend a bit more on some capable hardware, like replacing the HCX processor with something more capable where its possible to add features, and without the chroma limitation.

I would be happy to pay more for a player that is relevant for more than 12 months.

Wish there was a Yawn button.

Why dont Panasonic offer features with firmware upgades, instead of releasing new models every year.

Maybe they should spend a bit more on some capable hardware, like replacing the HCX processor with something more capable where its possible to add features, and without the chroma limitation.

I would be happy to pay more for a player that is relevant for more than 12 months.

Any company that does that misses out on yearly reviews which drive sales...the older players still work fine.

are there any updates on these new player on release date and price?

You can now buy this from Richer Sounds - £250. Only place I’ve seen which has it. I expect reviews to be imminent.

Cheers both, should be hitting the stores soon than internationally as well as I’m not located in the UK :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom