CES (2019) News Chat

oh dear looking a bit crap for HTC so far.
So copy Netflix and the WindowsMR home location

Last edited by a moderator:
Origin looks pretty nice.

Vive Cosmos HMD

Inside Out Tracking

Side Sensors

Stick controllers

PC and Standalone

Flip up Display

Last edited:
Vive Cosmos HMD

Inside Out Tracking

Side Sensors

Stick controllers

It just an attempt to sucker punch the Oculus quest, no mention of specs or price. Lets be honest its going to cost more. I wonder how it will be tied store wise. Will you be able to run your own apps?

The infinity service is a nice idea. Lets see what content they get first.

HTC 5 out of 10

HTC-Vive-Cosmos-CES-2019-2-1000x556-o1ork9n6ns0gxtrub7zef9dz46wivamr7f8fnpvkqg.jpg

I`m gonna guess the fugly patterns on the controllers are part of the tracking setup?

Looks pretty nice if you ask me.

We all wanted a HMD that you could plug into your PC but also disconnect, this is it.

I guess this could be the bridge between the full standalone system. Which is ultimately where VR needs to end up. Its just a shame that HTC aren't giving any actual details away as ever.
Pimax around the corner.

If you listen to Jensen Huang and how Laptops are now more popular than ever having inside out tracking is a must. HTC is just following that trend.

Specs would be nice but I think they'll wanit until Quest is out the door first.

I would say this is HTC's Vive 2.
I would say Quest is Oculuses Rift 2.
I would say Valve will announce their SteamVR HMD at GDC in April along with Knuckles.

Whats strange is HTC have barely launched the Vive Focus. Does this just get tossed to one side now?

Ahh I think I understand Cosmos now. It might have no onboard compute at all. It might be compatible with external devices like Laptop, PC, Mobile Phone or third party compute devices making this HMD completely upgradable while Quest is stuck with its Qualcomm 835.

Cosmos is looking more like what I wanted all along. A HMD that gets everything off your head and has a seperate upgradable compter core along with battery storage and wireless transitter.

You could have many combinations of Cosmos/Resolution and Core units.

HTC are onto a winner here.

So the Vive Pro Eye just appears to be the Vive Pro with eye tracking. No FOV or resolution bump. So where's the benefit of the eye tracking and foveated rendering?

HTC-Vive-Cosmos-CES-2019-2-1000x556-o1ork9n6ns0gxtrub7zef9dz46wivamr7f8fnpvkqg.jpg

I can't quite work out - are these HMDs for people with big hands, or for people with small heads?

Ahh I think I understand Cosmos now. It might have no onboard compute at all. It might be compatible with external devices like Laptop, PC, Mobile Phone or third party compute devices making this HMD completely upgradable while Quest is stuck with its Qualcomm 835.

Cosmos is looking more like what I wanted all along. A HMD that gets everything off your head and has a seperate upgradable compter core along with battery storage and wireless transitter.

You could have many combinations of Cosmos/Resolution and Core units.

HTC are onto a winner here.

Not if you're a developer. Now if they had mobile components inside the Cosmos like the Quest AND you could ALSO plug it in to a PC then it would be A LOT easier to develop for. Their Store is going to be filled with both PC and mobile games and even those mobile games may be a problem depending what mobile you're using.

Something like the Go, Focus, Quest or a console are a LOT easier to develop for, and straight PC VR too.

Vive Pro Eye in action.

Interesting proof of concept. Advertising add pop ups in VR anybody?

Lots of goid news from HTC and Pimax at CES.

Today it’s AMDs turn to step up. VR needs lots of GPU grunt at affordable prices and Nvidia won’t deliver that in 2019.

Here’s the live link. 5pm kick off.

Not expecting bugger all from AMD. They've been disappointing for YEARS so I can't see that changing anytime soon. You would have thought that they'd come up with something impressive in terms of power at a reasonable price considering how much Nvidia have been taking the piss with their high-end GPU pricing over the years, but they seem to be happy providing mid-range stuff at a decent price instead. :(

Not expecting bugger all from AMD.

Looks like they’ll be releasing more than Oculus this year.

7nm GPU Radeon 7 £699 check
7nm CPU Next gen Ryzen check

This should put them right up there with Nvidias 2080 and intels 9900 series.

Looks like they’ll be releasing more than Oculus this year.

7nm GPU Radeon 7 £699 check
7nm CPU Next gen Ryzen check

This should put them right up there with Nvidias 2080 and intels 9900 series.

Am i the only one dissapointed (but not surprised) by the new radeon 7???

its performance is probably going to be on a par with the RTX 2080 - beating in some, losing in others and a tie in most - in traditional games

price is looking to be on a par with RTX 2080

BUT...... No RTX, No DLSS and it still uses a fccuk ton of power and therefore needs a chunky PSU......

The only thing it has over the RTX 2080 is the 16gb of ram... which may be a big deal, or may not be.....

over all, all biases aside i honestly cant see a reason to buy this over an RTX 2080 for gaming... the ace in its sleeve may have been Freesync but now nvidia is looking to support Async (and therefore freesync) then that advantage may be gone now too.

I know more performance was never going to be on the cards, AMD seem to have gone as all in on the performance as they could..... and therefore that is why the power requirements is looking to still be so high.

but for gaming i cant help but feel they would have been better going for GDDR6 and offering 2 versions 8gb and 16gb. From what i have read about HBM2 and its prices, had they done what i suggested above, a 16GB GDDR 6 card could have been $100 cheaper, and an 8GB one maybe even $150 - $200 less.

An 8GB GDDR6 Radeon 7 with similar RTX 2080 performance but for $499 / £450-£499 or 16gb for $549 / £500-£550 is a card i could see making nvidia pause!.

Last edited:
over all, all biases aside i honestly cant see a reason to buy this over an RTX 2080 for gaming...
...other than it probably won't artifact and die? :D

Sebastian at the Qualcomm stand trying the new reference design which the Vive Cosmos is based off. 2k per eye.

2K per eye at 60fps? doesnt it have to be 90fps in VR?

2K per eye at 60fps? doesnt it have to be 90fps in VR?
It sure does. I'd say 75fps would be a minimum for most people.

Mind you, I used to play VR games at effectively 30Hz per eye (60Hz alternating frame per eye) and that was bearable, although it was only 3dof.

It sure does. I'd say 75fps would be a minimum for most people.

Mind you, I used to play VR games at effectively 30Hz per eye (60Hz alternating frame per eye) and that was bearable, although it was only 3dof.

Thought so! think some companies need to stop focusing on big Resolution and more on framerates! this applies to console gaming too, playing some exclusives on ps4 recently and its like a slideshow at times!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom