CES 2018: Sony talk AF8 OLED, XF90 LCD and 10,000nits TV

Thanks for the video Steve,

Given that AF8 has 2018 OLED panels which you mentioned has slight refinement than last year's panel, and has the same processing as the flagship A1, would you rather have AF8 than A1, presumably it would be cheaper as well, as it sits below A1?

With the LCD front, are there no replacement for last year's XE93 range and XE94?

It seems the only FALD sets they have for 2018 is the 2 year old ZD9 and this new XF90 which is a replacement of XE90 with added X1 extrame and motion feature.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Superb video Steve!!! Really nice and well done. I count on you to help us understand improvement on :
-abl
- brightness peak (are they both uhd premium material?)
- Same fald zones as last year ?
- tone mapping
- chip for OS
They seem to have added 4 hdmi 2.0b from another source I found

I hope that they improved last year model beyond just cosmetic and adding an x1 extreme processor in xe90!!!!

That X motion treatment looks promising but will wait for you to tell us :)

Thanks for the video Steve,

Given that AF8 has 2018 OLED panels which you mentioned as slight refinement than last year's panel, and has the same processing as the flagship A1, would you rather have AF8 than A1, presumably it would be cheaper as well, as it sits below A1?

With the LCD front, are there no replacement for last year's XE93 range and XE94?

It seems the only FALD sets they have for 2018 is the 2 year old ZD9 and this new XF90 which is a replacement of XE90 with added X1 extrame and motion feature.

Thanks.
Panel 2018 slight refinement ? I missed that part. Was it said in the video ?
Is that the reason the brightness peak seems to be slightly higher than last year panels?

I guess they felt that adding the X1 extreme to the XF90 was enough to remove the need for an XE93 replacement, although they haven’t announced if the XF90 can match the XE93 peak brightness, as last years XE90 was some way off it.
With regards to the XE94, perhaps the 75” ZD9 has taking its place?

I guess they felt that adding the X1 extreme to the XF90 was enough to remove the need for an XE93 replacement, although they haven’t announced if the XF90 can match the XE93 peak brightness, as last years XE90 was some way off it.
With regards to the XE94, perhaps the 75” ZD9 has taking its place?

Thé xf90 is what the xe93 should have been if they boosted the zones and brightness of the former !!
If not, then it is ONLY a good xe90 improvement which is not bad at all...
I just hope they found a middle ground (more zones and 1200 nits for example)

Hope they improved the parameters mentioned to Steve in my previous post!!!

Panel 2018 slight refinement ? I missed that part. Was it said in the video ?
Is that the reason the brightness peak seems to be slightly higher than last year panels?
Steve mentioned this on Panasonic video page, to a question raised by a member of the forum.

He said that the A1 still the flagship OLED for 2018 meaning that the AF8 will have a lower starting price than the A1 at launch. The problem with this that the A1's price is much lower than the original price so at best they will have the same price at launch or the A1 will still have lower price which will make confusion.

You can buy the 55A1 in my country for roughly 2000GBP and I doubt that the AF8 will have lower price tag at launch

He said that the A1 still the flagship OLED for 2018 meaning that the AF8 will have a lower starting price than the A1 at launch. The problem with this that the A1's price is much lower than the original price so at best they will have the same price at launch or the A1 will still have lower price which will make confusion.

You can buy the 55A1 in my country for roughly 2000GBP and I doubt that the AF8 will have lower price tag at launch

That’s what he said :)
A new model more expensive than next in line? Good luck with that !!!
When LG can sell a c7 for £1300, one has to stop and wonder if Sony can justify charging that much more (still 2500 in uk I believe) ??

What a boring year for TV's, the ZD9 is still the flagship which is staggering tbh, there are loads of improvements they could make :/

One correction: there is a content for 10,000 nits and there are games! In many games you have a slider for HDR brightness calibration like: Gears of War 4, Gran Turismo Sport, CoD WW2 etc.. On mine ZD9 I need to put slider on 1/5 so there is a plenty of room.

I think for me I'm just hoping the that XF90 doesn't come with a huge price increase over the XE90 especially with he current pricing of LF OLEDs

I doubt that A1 will sell lower than the new AF8. How can you sell your top of the range model cheaper than the next step down model? It will be interesting to see how they plan out.

I don't see the new FALD LCD model XF90 having the same peak brightness as last year's XE93. Last year XE90 was best value FALD LCD set with an excellent performance. Don't like the stand of XF90, looks cheap and not classy like the top end Sony LCD models of last year's set.

Last edited:
This year is reaking of 'stopgap' with next year HDMI 2.1 and improved specs, which is what was needed this year really, but from a price perspective, it's good for people yet to buy into 4K I guess.

10000 nits? Blimey, that will give people a tan in seconds. 700 OLED nits are already painfully bright, so this is so far into willy waving territory for me it defies all logic.

Maybe Sony will be supplying a cool paid of Sony branded welding goggles with every set.

10000 nits? Blimey, that will give people a tan in seconds. 700 OLED nits are already painfully bright, so this is so far into willy waving territory for me it defies all logic.

Maybe Sony will be supplying a cool paid of Sony branded welding goggles with every set.

How do you know without seeing it though as I have read nit level is not linear, so 7000 nits is not 10 times 700 nits. And not all content will be at a max 10000 nits, it will be purely for specular highlights.

How do you know without seeing it though as I have read nit level is not linear, so 7000 nits is not 10 times 700 nits. And not all content will be at a max 10000 nits, it will be purely for specular highlights.
Someone else couldn’t contain his excitement in how good it looked, making the ZD9 look mediocre.

Someone couldn’t contain his excitement in how good it looked, making the ZD9 look mediocre.

The plan all along was to reach 10,000 nits. I don't think blinding potential customers is really a target for tv manufacturers, right? :confused:

I can't wait to see what a tv with 10,000 nits and 100% rec.2020 looks like. Just before I have to sell it to fund a 16k rec.2100 tv. :cool:

If not, then it is ONLY a good xe90 improvement which is not bad at all...
I just hope they found a middle ground (more zones and 1200 nits for example)
I don’t think that will be enough unless they intend to keep its pricing as before (in the top end midrange), but that will leave a massive gap to what is now looking to be a very-overpriced ZD9.
Maybe the A8F OLED will fit in there?

I don’t think that will be enough unless they intend to keep its pricing as before (in the top end midrange), but that will leave a massive gap to what is now looking to be a very-overpriced ZD9.
Maybe the A8F OLED will fit in there?
Sony lost me this year
I expected the xf90 obviously but hoping they improved it more than x1 extreme
I expected an entry oled but not with pamel sound. That would have been the xe93 replacement
They made the latest Sony a clone of the a1? Weird move but why complain if cheaper ?!!!!
I will not surprise if they release a tv in sept as they did before

Looking towards next year when we’re likely to see these super-bright, 10K FALD 100% rec.2020 capable LED TV’s go on sale, I wonder where that will leave OLED?
CES 2019 is going to be interesting.

I really thought it would be years until we got 10000nits. The very minor improvements we have seen in commercial TV Peak Brightness levels and 'difficulty' to even reach 1000nits, I thought that 4000nits would be a few years away - if ever.

10000nits would mean NO tone mapping - EVER. Content would be displayed exactly as the 'Professional' colourist intended it to be viewed. Whether mastered to 1000, 4000 or 10000nits! The ultimate in HDR!! It makes the ZD9 look like a SDR or at best a 'budget' HDR TV in comparison and that is definitely no slouch - probably the 'best' HDR TV currently available!

Some disc-based content has already been mastered on or near 10000 nits according to the MaxCLL metadata captured from the UHD 4K discs, and mostly Sony discs funnily enough:

Bridge on The River Kwai, Close Encounters, Fifth Elephant, Inferno: ALL mastered to 10000 nits peak.
Starship Troopers Traitor of Mars: 9978 nits
Mad Max Fury Road: 9919 nits
Crouching Tiger: 8985 nits
Magnificent Seven: 6968 nits
Life: 6414 nits

[edit] and you can currently find a 0-10,000-nit ramp on the test patterns on Sony UHD discs:

LungvI2.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom