1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CES 2018: Panasonic answers OLED 4K TV Questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Assistant Editor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,347
      • Thanks Thanks x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    2. Lakshmanan

Lakshmanan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +64
      @Steve Withers thank you for bringing this Q&A to us. Really appreciate it.
      1. Regarding the much talked about motion stutter issue, I think all of us owners will feel a bit relieved now that Craig has said they have analysed what types of signals is causing the issue. Now it’s only a matter of time although an earlier update on the subject said the release of the fix is waiting a sign off - so, it’s slightly conflicting messages.
      2. Difference in the 2018 panel vs the 2017 - I just felt the answer was quite rushed. I appreciate you and/or Craig May not have had the time. Were you able to find out what exactly has changed in the 2018 panel and what tangible benefits will be experienced by the consumers - how big, small or subtle will that change be?
      3. HCX2 to HCX - again, I felt the response was very short, not providing enough clarity. I would have liked to understand a bit more on the advancements made in the new HCX processor. Besides the HDR10+, will the 2017 models receive the dynamic LUT, HDR Brightness optimiser, etc that is being shown in the FZ950?
      4. Will the 2017 EZ1002 receive the 3.0 version of the user interface?
      5. Although the 77EZ1002 will continue alongside the 2018 models, why is it that it is featuring a HCX processor rather than the HCX2 processor?

3. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Assistant Editor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,347
      With regards to your questions – (1) Don't pay any attention to reports you may have read elsewhere, Craig is Panasonic's Head of TV for Europe, so what he says is the official answer. (2) The panel is provided by LG Display, so really it's a question for them but in reality this year's panel is just a slight refinement of last year (3) Apart from the HDR10+ upgrade, the 2017 models won't be getting any of the other new features found on the FZ952/802. (4) I don't know about that but I'll see if I can find out. (5) The 77EZ1002 is last year's model but is being carried over into this year, so it uses the HCX2 processor and thus doesn't have the new features found on the FZ952/802.

• Like Like x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    4. HenryHonda

HenryHonda

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +39
      On the Dolby Vision issue - I very much suspect that anti-competitive practices might be behind this... e.g. the terms of being granted a Dolby Vision licence might include a 'thou shalt not offer HDR10+ on the same model' clause.

5. robase007

robase007

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +59
      Thanks Steve for the updates, especially on the 50hz issue. However its frustrating that the stuttering issue has been ongoing for 6 months with no confirmation on an actual date for resolution and it would be in Panasonic best interest to get this resolved before launching their new panels this year or they may end up pushing customers away due their lack of communication on this topic.

6. Lakshmanan

Lakshmanan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +64
      Thank you very much @Steve Withers . Are you able to take a guess on what the launch price will be on the FZ952 and the FX802? Just ball park....?

7. mako

mako
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10
      Super from panasonic knows what is the problem with the image of 50hz, applaud after more than half a year of complaint for this reason and they inform with knowledge about the problem "...,
      It's a joke from customers that there is still no amendment and no announcement ..., ... let's not be naïve "they know" but they can not fix it.

8. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +113
      I wouldn't be surprised if the fz has the stutter issue too, as they are likely to use the same algorithm for the conversion. If so, it is in their best interest to fix this.

9. Lakshmanan

Lakshmanan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +64
      I wouldn’t think Panasonic are so foolish to launch a new model where the stutter continues. There could be a legitimate technical reason why they haven’t been able to resolve the issue with the 2017 model. It may have required a recall and such things that make the whole process messy and expensive to Panasonic - that may be the reason why they have been ready with their replacement models so quickly and I say quickly because the details of these new models are already on Panasonic’s website whilst CES is still underway. Only time will say whether the fix comes through and if it doesn’t, I think all of us may have a legal right to return the TV’s and exchange/obtain a refund.

10. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +476
      I thought the answer to the 50Hz issue was interesting, and maybe for the first time slightly concerning. Rather than simply saying it will be addressed by a future update, he spoke of a 'corrective solution' and a future announcement' of what that would be and when. The implication is that it may require something other than an over-the-air software update ultimately. I hope it does not mean this, certainly some shipped software changes have made improvements in this area according to latest owners.

11. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,192
      thanks for this Steve, its nice that your asked a few pressing questions that the consumers on the forums want to know, although i still dont think craig answered the question re: DV and whether or not the TV is capable of actually displaying DV, he just said we choose hdr10+ may have to rewatch

also the fact that their bluray players has DV but the TV cant display it, and its because people buy other tvs is a baffling one...surely Panasonic would like people to buy there products as a package not go elsewhere? i'm not foolish enough not to think that Panasonic hasn't done their due diligence on this matter, but it really is puzzling for consumers.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    12. Atomicus

Atomicus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +74
      Not the most enthusiastic of chaps is he. His skirting of the 50hz issue does little to placate the anger of the many customers suffering with it. I know a few who have sworn off ever buying Panny again. How is OLED superior to Micro LED with burn-in still an issue? His answer was very transparent... "we only have OLED therefore that's better."

13. davejones2

davejones2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +403
      To be fair Panasonic have a history of making sure the products are up on the website as soon as details are officially in the public domain. That part of the organisation seems to be very efficient!

14. davejones2

davejones2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +403
      I think it definitely makes sense from their point of view. If they thought they could make more money long term by offering DV on their TVs then they would be doing it already. They've decided not to and only time will tell if this is the correct decision.

However they must sell a lot of blu-ray players to owners of other TVs; a year ago a lot of people were probably sticking to the same manufacturer as there was a lack of choice, but now the 4k market is more mature it'll be a lot more fluid.

There are now massive number of LG oled owners to be catered for, the majority of whom would be unwilling to compromise with a badly built LG budget player but don't want to pay an unnecessary premium for an Oppo. Why leave Oppo and Sony to clear up that market?

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    15. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,192
      i see your point dave :)

16. SimonST

SimonST

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,482
      Completely agree, I thought the same with the LG UK guy and the other Panasonic/ex-LG UK guy. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but they just don't seem to be very excited to be there. Contrast this with the Sony USA guy from an article on a popular US site, and he seemed much more enthusiastic about what he's trying to sell to people, and actually probably more knowledgeable than any of these guys who look like they're basically reading from a spec sheet. And I hate to say it, but it/he went into far more technical detail about the Sony prototype display/X1 Ultimate chipset too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    17. who10uk

who10uk
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Couple of things I noted when looking at the specs - although those may be subject to change of course.

The 2018 models don't list a touch remote - just list a normal remote. Would think this is just the specs being incomplete but not sure.

I also noticed that under Bluetooth, there is now listed support for Audio Devices. This was not available to 2017 models which could only Bluetooth a keyboard and mouse. Does this mean that steaming the audio to an external Bluetooth supporting amp/soundbar will be possible or does it mean you can play your smartphone audio through the TV (as is the case with Sky Q). Or ideally this would work bi-directionally. Anyway to confirm?

18. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,580
      "Hopefully" and "in the near future" aren't exactly confidence inspiring for addressing the motion issues.

Interesting that he said 2017 models can be upgraded to HDR10+ though, does this mean any HDR tv could be? If so, I'l buy something that has DV and wait for the upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    19. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Assistant Editor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,347
      You'll have to wait for the European Convention in February.

20. AndretheTVguy

AndretheTVguy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +45
      No The companies that have Dolby clearly have contractual agreements with Dolby choosing them for the native dynamic format and the companies with HDR10+ Clearly dont want to pay Dolby any money so are choosing HDR10+.

The decision shouldn't be made by which can support these stop gap HDR formats why not just choose the most accurate screen you can? As it makes these formats irrelevant (until there is a 12bit screen anyway), especially if these 2018 TV can dynamically tone map themselves well.

21. MultiRoom

MultiRoom

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +241
      It would be helpful if people stopped referring to this as the '50hz stutter' when the stutter is, in fact, present in 24p material also. I'm currently watching a 24p Netflix show, and it stutters.

22. Lakshmanan

Lakshmanan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +64
      Could you please name the 24p Netflix programmes? I would like to watch them on my EZ1002B when it arrives this Friday.

23. MultiRoom

MultiRoom

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +241
      It happens on everything. No need to be specific, just select anything.

24. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,428
      Probably not what he wanted hear while waiting for his new expensive purchase

25. MultiRoom

MultiRoom

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +241
      I'd have preferred to hear it before I purchased mine. Instead I was told it was almost unnoticeable, so much so I'd be unlikely to notice it. I think the TV was on for less than 30 seconds before I noticed it. However, the TV is so good I'm holding out for a fix.

26. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,055
      Not for me it doesnt. Never happens with blu-rays or 4K UHDs. Or any external sources come to that.

27. robase007

robase007

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +59
      Jim,

Do you have the 230a or 270b software?

28. kram

kram

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      Hope they are not just looking at 2017 Tvs 50Hz issues, my 2016 DX750 judders on 50Hz material.

29. Tokiwalki

Tokiwalki
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      @Steve Withers > do you know if both FZ800 & FZ950 include some of the hdmi 2.1 features like VRR for gaming and eARC? As you know such features can be associated to hdmi 2.0b, no need of 2.1 chipset for that (it’s for example Samsung’s approach for its 2018 TVs).

Panasonic mentioned very low input lag for game mode in its press release for FZ800/950. Any chance to have a specific number here?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    30. MultiRoom

MultiRoom

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +241
      I've studied the problem extensively, the higher quality the material, the less frequent the problem. 50hz broadcasts are inherently more likely to show up the problem. A blu ray or 4K content demonstrates the issue only once in a while, but unless your TV has different software or hardware than the rest of us I can promise it'll stutter, you may not notice it, but I guarantee it will, assuming you have IFC engaged of course.