CES 2018: Panasonic announces new FZ950 & FZ800 OLED 4K TV line-up with HDR10+

No Dolby Vision while the new UHD players are able to play it.. The marketing of 21 century that is totally unreasonable
What about eARC?

My first feeling about this TV can be desribed as " the same "close to DCI-P3" coverage. No 3D support. 10-bit panels. No HFR. No HDMI 2.1"

You do realise that none of that has anything to do with Panasonic - everything you have mentioned is outwith their control.

Also not getting this fascination with the need to "have" Dolby Vision or no sale ...

How stupid of them not to include DV in the 2018?!?!
Why handicap yourself by alienating potential customers. I mean who is going to buy theirs when there are decent alternatives about with all the features?
Nuts!

You do realise that none of that has anything to do with Panasonic - everything you have mentioned is outwith their control.

Also not getting this fascination with the need to "have" Dolby Vision or no sale ...

Of course you have a point. But similarly, where is the logic in adding dv in your player but not your TVs ???
What does it say about importance of dV. for now in term of sales? Irrespective if it will hold true to hdr10+ in the long run ?

Hope Sony at least sort the blu rays nonsense.

Once again I'm frustrated with Panasonic, looks like their arrogance with not including Dolby Vision is going to lose them sales by not including it, so eventually they will have to include it to compete with LG and SONY. I wanted to upgrade this year from my DX902 to an OLED, been loyal to Panasonic for many years and it might be ending soon if they cannot get their acts together? So they are saying that even if they get the license they cannot be used on the 2018 TV's, how ridiculous, I'm not happy if they expect me to have to wait until 2019 for a Panasonic DV TV.

Of course you have a point. But similarly, where is the logic in adding dv in your player but not your TVs ???
What does it say about importance of dV. for now in term of sales? Irrespective if it will hold true to hdr10+ in the long run ?

Hope Sony at least sort the blu rays nonsense.

I think it is clear that Panasonic don't want to hand over any control of how their TV's handle content to a 3rd party - that has always been their stance and I applaud them for it

What is the fascination with Dolby Vision anyway - have you viewed it and decided it is a must purchase or are you simply just box ticking??

Any review I have seen has said that it may bring marginal improvements yet people seem to think it is the 2nd coming ...

HDR10+ should hopefully be the main standard moving forward.

I think it is clear that Panasonic don't want to hand over any control of how their TV's handle content to a 3rd party - that has always been their stance and I applaud them for it

What is the fascination with Dolby Vision anyway - have you viewed it and decided it is a must purchase or are you simply just box ticking??

Any review I have seen has said that it may bring marginal improvements yet people seem to think it is the 2nd coming ...

HDR10+ should hopefully be the main standard moving forward.
I frankly don’t care what standard we use as long as we don’t have to choose sides !
I really don’t think it is too much asking. They made this mess by not talking to each other’s

Many LG owners don't like DV in particular from Netflix, and wish they could use HDR10 instead (but unable to), grass isn't always greener !

I think HDR10+ should hopefully be the main standard moving forward.

I don’t think DV is going anywhere though, Sony, Netflix and Apple have made a lot of noise about their Dolby partnerships, Netflix only recently said all of their original content will be DV moving forward.

Anyway no reason why both formats can’t coexist, all we need now is a TV that covers both...

I frankly don’t care what standard we use as long as we don’t have to choose sides !
I really don’t think it is too much asking. They made this mess by not talking to each other’s

But surely by only considering a TV with DV that is exactly what you are doing - ie choosing a side.

Many LG owners don't like DV in particular from Netflix, and wish they could use HDR10 instead (but unable to), grass isn't always greener !

I wasn't aware of that - thought you could choose between HDR10 or DV. Is this via the built in Netflix app then??

I don’t think DV is going anywhere though, Sony, Netflix and Apple have made a lot of noise about their Dolby partnerships, Netflix only recently said all of their original content will be DV moving forward.

Anyway no reason why both formats can’t coexist, all we need now is a TV that covers both...

That is the thing it isn't strictly a format war - if you choose to go down the DV route and have your whole kit DV ready then great, but I imagine that HDR10 will be good enough for 99.9% of the buying public.

Of course if they can pull of HDR10+ it would be foolish to think that Netflix, Sony and Apple won't consider switching to that "free" format at some stage.

I wasn't aware of that - thought you could choose between HDR10 or DV. Is this via the built in Netflix app then??
It is via the built in app, HDR programs are shown with the DV logo, but you can't choose HDR10 version.

But surely by only considering a TV with DV that is exactly what you are doing - ie choosing a side.

You choose the side you consider the best. In this case, dv has the advantage simply because hdr10+ will more likely become base hdr. Therefore my chances of having both is greater than opposite scenario.

for the Record, I chose no side. Just waiting to see how hdr10+ unfold (and it is looking very good).

a good tv is a good tv irrespective what hdr it has. Pana disappointed lots of people with how they ignored the 2017 glitch (even now, still no dates. Waiting for sign off is a lame consumer excuse and I heard it far too much in my project role), inspiring no confidence in them. Otherwise, this year sets will be a must to consider...if I was a 2017 owner, I will feel very let down by this. Hope they sort it quick.

That is the thing it isn't strictly a format war - if you choose to go down the DV route and have your whole kit DV ready then great, but I imagine that HDR10 will be good enough for 99.9% of the buying public.

Of course if they can pull of HDR10+ it would be foolish to think that Netflix, Sony and Apple won't consider switching to that "free" format at some stage.

Fully agree. My expectation is that hdr10+ will simply become the default standard. It is free and hdr10 has no reason to exist anymore...

I don't know the situation with HDR10+, but recent LGs have both HDR and DV.
I'd be surprised if they didn't announce TVs that will do DV and HDR10+.

It's more "covering all the bases" than choosing sides.
Panasonic choosing to ignore this (for now) is just being awkward.

I have a dream... that one day, all the manufacturers will sit around a table and all agree on one format, and ask each other "how can we do what's best for our customers?"
(I did say it was a dream...) :p

Last edited:
I find it laughable that the Panasonic marketing spiel includes so much technical blurb aimed at AV enthusiasts / calibrators and colourists, just as it did at CES 2017, yet their OLED TVs had a basic flaw in motion handling that you wouldn't expect to find in a £350 set from Asda! What exactly is the point of an advanced "Dynamic LUT system" when the sets are unlikely to even handle 25p motion properly?

The 2017 Panasonic sets have a catastrophic problem with motion handling that after months and months of waiting still is yet to be fixed. The Panasonic sets had a single firmware update in the last year; the LG's received multiple, many of which improved image quality even 6 months after initial release.

If Panasonic want to appeal to enthusiasts then perhaps they could at the very least bother to fix such a basic flaw in a reasonable space of time.

With their recent track record I I think anyone considering these apparent high-end OLEDs in 2018 above those from LG and Sony would be completely off their rocker unless Panny show even the slightest bit of interest in sorting out their flagship sets from 2017.

Looks like the motion bug still exists in the 2018 models.

We will be doing follow-up technical questions with Panasonic tomorrow and that's one of the questions I'll be asking them.
There are a lot of people anxiously awaiting the follow up, please don't keep us in suspense!!

Don't totally agree, watch from 7:01, it does stutter but differently every time you play that section from 7:01, as in the frequency of the stutter is different every time (so isn't the tv doing it), the stutter when it fails on the ez952 is repeatable

Also he stutters too, suggesting the big jump your seeing isn't what you think your seeing.

Last edited:

The frame drop at 1:36 is an edit, if you watch him rather than the display you'll notice it... there's also a slight pop on the audio at the edit point.

(Oops only just spotted the post above this one saying the same thing) :p

Ah
The frame drop at 1:36 is an edit in Vincent's video - if you watch him rather than the display you'll notice it... there's also a slight pop on the audio at the edit point.

(Oops only just spotted the post above this one saying the same thing) :p
Ah ok fair enough.
I’m that use to seeing it on the ez it’s second nature now!

@SteveWithers did you manage to ask Panasonic why the BBC iPlayer Blue Planet 2 HLG does not work on the DX902? As it has had a firmware update to support HLG.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom