CES 2018: LG discuss OLED and SUPER UHD TV line-up

Thanks again for your fantastic coverage, OLEDs biggest flaw is its near black banding, very disappointed this wasnt discussed, do you know if there has been any improvement?

So there IS a G model he was saying...
HDR pro sounds a bit crappy.. just fake on the fly. Better just going for HDR 10+ but no plans to add it :(

I suppose if you could ever be disappointed with an OLED then this would be the year. I believe LG needed to offer (at minimum) an improved panel this year to continue the growth of OLED - when you consider HDMI2.1, 8K and HFR are now clearly on the horizon.

Looks like they are simply going to rely on price reductions to keep things moving along this year ...

Price reductions are always a good thing and very interested to see how they compare to the prices of the current range.

So there IS a G model he was saying...
HDR pro sounds a bit crappy.. just fake on the fly. Better just going for HDR 10+ but no plans to add it :(

It's an iteration of the Active HDR found in the 2017 sets, which in my experience has been pretty great.

yeah, I think if there was a better panel they;d be singing its tune from day one, It may even be the same panel albeit a newer processor.

Its still extremely early for HDR10+, but it's had way more headlines than most expected? If you weren't planning for it for the last year of developments (and many wouldn't have), then its way too late to fix that for a CES announcement.

But this time next year, we'll know what ground HDR10+ has made (if any).

However, its yet ANOTHER year where by hanging on buying means we might get a "do-all" TV.

IF HDR10+ proves itself to be a genuine rival to DV, the free license in a world of small margin profits I think could prove to be very popular. A winner though? I'm not sure Dolby will take that lying down.

companies need to get behind HDR10+ asap as HDR becoming a huge mess of iterations, the industry is ruining what should have been a fantastic feature, now the average user isnt going to have the first clue which TV to buy and whether it will be compatible with with the current or future collections of blurays, it makes the implementation of 3D look successful in comparison.

Too many assistant devices this year! It's already bad enough with one in the living room and one in the kitchen when you ask for music and the wrong one decides to play back - now you'll try to play some music on your Echo and the toaster will start playing the radio!

Last edited:
All this talk of HDR10+ being free isn't exactly correct - there is a 'nominal' fee, rather than a per device levee as with Dolby Vision. The cynic in me thinks that LG, Sony etc will pretend HDR10+ doesn't exisit for a year (e.g. the Sony press release for their new UHD player states it supports 'both HDR standards" - meaning HDR10 and DV). Panasonic and Samsung will do the same with DV. Over the year we'll see which way things go and maybe see the first all-format compatible sets next year. At the moment DV is by far winning the streaming war as all the major 4K-releasing studios bar FOX seem to use DV. On disc there still doesn't seem to be that many DV titles (but then again, there are no HDR10+ titles!).

Once the Disney-Fox deal is completed, I wonder which way Disney will go - their few 4K streaming titles are in DV I believe.

I'm quite surprised there haven't been any Dolby announcements yet at CES.

Looking forward to more technical interviews with LG representatives as this one was basically a summary of the information that we already knew.
Wonder who is LG's replacement for Tech expert Rob Taylor who now works at Panasonic and was already interviewed by avforums.

I suppose if you could ever be disappointed with an OLED then this would be the year. I believe LG needed to offer (at minimum) an improved panel this year to continue the growth of OLED - when you consider HDMI2.1, 8K and HFR are now clearly on the horizon.

Looks like they are simply going to rely on price reductions to keep things moving along this year ...
I think LG Display have pushed their OLED panels about as far as they can go with 100% of DCI-P3 and 1,000nits of peak brightness. They've improved the above black performance, eliminated the vignetting and reduced the banding, so I'm not sure there is much more they can do.

looking at the the 2017 sets there is still much work to do on near black banding, if there is an incremental improvment that might be enough though as micro LED is still a year or two off in affordable terms I imagine.

Does someone know?
1) Is the 2018 panels the exact same as 2017 and 2016 models?
2) Have they done anything to eliminate or at least reduce image retention(ghosting) or burn in for 2018?
3) Will there be a notable difference between 2017 and 2018 models?

Hope you can answer these questions, I'm sure a lot of others are wondering the same.

EDIT 12:23pm:

Ok, I may have answered my own questions, at least in regards to image retention / burn in.
I image retention on 2016 C6 and 2017 C7. See thumbnails.

Results: 2017 has less image retention, and it quite faster than the 2016 model. We can then only assume / hope that 2018 will be even better at it?

What do you guys think? Maybe you can even confirm this?

OLED C6
OLED C6.png

OLED C7
OLED C7.png

burn in can differ between panels and generations, where these tests are interesting they dont really give you the full picture. Also note, this is only temp burn in, i've never seen any issues at all with my now ageing 2015 EF950 OLED, temporary or lasting so its not something you probably need to worry about more than any other TV.

best thing to do is pull the trigger but buy online so you can return it no quibble if it doesn't meet your criteria, you just cant lose.

Last edited:
Does someone know?
2) Have they done anything to eliminate or at least reduce image retention(ghosting) or burn in for 2018?

Hope you can answer these questions, I'm sure a lot of others are wondering the same.

Ok, I may have answered my own questions, at least in regards to image retention / burn in.

Results: 2017 has less image retention, and it quite faster than the 2016 model. We can then only assume / hope that 2018 will be even better at it?

OLED C6
View attachment 963591

OLED C7
View attachment 963592
There have been incremental improvements each year and I expect that to continue in 2018.

Does someone know?

OLED C6
View attachment 963591

OLED C7
View attachment 963592

Apparently the pixels on this years panels are different from last year
CES 2018 – Une nouvelle dalle dans les téléviseurs Oled de 2018

are you going to get any decent time with the TV's where you can check this out, or more time with LG techs where you can find out from them what changes they've made to banding this year, if this cannot be effectively solve by the time Samsung pull a 55 inch 4k Micro LED out of their butts they'll get totally decimated... thats assuming they dont have similar issues...

I think LG Display have pushed their OLED panels about as far as they can go with 100% of DCI-P3 and 1,000nits of peak brightness.
Can they do both of those at the same time? (As opposed to current OLEDs which lose the ability to maintain high colour saturation as the luminance level goes up - hence Samsung's emphasis on "colour volume").

looking at the the 2017 sets there is still much work to do on near black banding, if there is an incremental improvment that might be enough though as micro LED is still a year or two off in affordable terms I imagine.

I'm looking at a 2017 set now mate, the banding is a huge difference compared to the 2015 sets, as well as the other near black issues the '15 sets had. The panel lottery aspect has not changed with Oleds though, so maybe that's something they have hit a wall with, getting the numbers of returns down.

It would be good to see if Micro LED, or any tech, can come out and have no pitfalls that owners need to avoid, but every tv tech has had some kind of fault, banding, IR, dse, etc.

Any word on smaller screen sizes? Forgive me if it's answered in the video I've not watched it all yet.

Any word on smaller screen sizes? Forgive me if it's answered in the video I've not watched it all yet.

Yes; no. 55, 65, 77 or nowt.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom