CES 2008 - Round-up articles, photos and podcasts...

Discussion in 'News' started by Phil Hinton, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,083
    [​IMG]

I will be posting separate threads for the various manufacturers and items of interest but here is a general round-up so far of my experiences at CES

CES 2008 has broken records in the amount of floorspace used and exhibiters present during this years show. The action began on Sunday with the major press conferences and the surprise cancellation of the HD DVD party scheduled for the Sunday evening. The press were out in force again this year to cover the comings and goings and just getting a seat to listen in was tough going.

There was no surprise that the Toshiba press conference was the most packed out of them all on the Sunday morning with everyone looking for the companies' response to Warner's announcement about dropping the HD DVD format. The talk from Toshiba was tough, “We have been declared dead before and are still a strong proposition to carry on,” was the response given, yet for some reason I could tell the mood in a room full of journalists was that this is the end. However I was a little concerned by the rather quick fire attitude of some in the printed and online press without actually taking account of the facts on offer. I will cover my thoughts on this in some detail later.

[​IMG]

Moving around the show from Monday onwards was a battle of epic proportions. The show is split between two conference centres, (the Las Vegas halls and the Sands Expo), as well as 5 Hotel spaces on the strip. Those who have been to Vegas before will know just how far these spaces can be from each other, and although there was free travel from a shuttle service as well as the ever reliable (and often eccentric) Taxis, just waiting in line to catch one could take upwards of an hour.

[​IMG]

If you want to see everything on the show floors then you would need to take around two weeks to see it all, and the show is only on for four days, so planning is key. Some of the best and most exciting demonstrations were off the beaten track and hidden away inside hotel conference spaces, requiring you to research fully where the likely spots would be for the show stopping demos. I had just such an experience from Pioneer which I will cover later in this forum and our first look at Generation 9!

[​IMG]

On Sunday evening it was Bill Gates who entertained us all with his last CES Keynote speech. With superstar cameos and stunning concept tech on show, it was well worth the long queues and over three hours wait to hear what he had to say. The content covered convergence technology, better integration of software in our everyday lives and how good Guitar Hero really can be!

[​IMG]

Moving around the show floor could be painful at times (carrying laptops, sound recorders, mics and a ton of PR material in one ruc-sac) but also very rewarding. I will talk in detail about everything I saw during my short stay in separate threads covering the company or technology in question. So, please have a look around at our coverage that starts appearing today and tomorrow. Listen to the podcasts to hear what the exhibiters had to say and get that show atmosphere and check out the hundred or so photographs within all the threads, Viva Las Vegas!
    [​IMG]

Podcasts are available in the relevant forum here
    Articles and news will be available in this forum as they are finished and posted.

Final image copyright Richard Seaman.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,083
    More photos...

Busy day at CES...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]