CES 2008 - Pioneering new Concepts in the world of Project Kuro.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
20080107205544.jpg

Pioneer launched their 2008 CES with an impressive press conference today (Sunday 6th).
The major subjects of choice were new in-car technology and not one, but two concept plasma screens. Although it was stressed that these concepts would remain just that through 2008, there is no denying that the promises made to the hundreds of press gathered here today, are nothing short of stunning!
First is the promise of the worlds thinnest plasma screen, just 9mm thick! This combined with a picture frame bevel should mean that your TV no longer hangs on the wall, but rather it floats.
The second claim regarding the new concept Kuro screens was one that had most of us falling off our chairs! Say goodbye to the old hat contrast ratio figures. Pioneer claims to have reached the holy grain of non emissive black levels, yes that’s right, when the screen goes black-even in a total black out environment- you see nothing but black. Claims are that you will not see any glow from this set, impressive claims indeed.
Of course none of these concepts were present at the press gathering, but you can bet on 21 that I will be first in the queues tomorrow to witness it in the flesh!

Other items of note are the possible introductions of Generation 9 screens in the future and although not officially announced today, I have also put my money on a possible unveiling of a front projection device. Stay tuned as we interview the key personnel tomorrow.

Did the guys at Pioneer give any indication as to when we could expect to see 'Project Kuro' hit the shops?

Not this year. I have just seen it, will post my thoughts in a second.

20080107211713.jpg

{note these pictures are for your imformation and do not represent the the actual performance levels}

I have just seen what is possibly the greatest plasma screen ever invented. The only problem is that it is only a concept screen, but what a concept. I can now see why the company chose to go against their policy of only showing production products to show us this.

Generation 8 gave us unrivalled black level performance for a flat screen, but todays ultimate contrast concept has literally blown me away. Imagine sitting in a room which is pitch black with 3 Kuro Generation 8 panels showing a black image, you can see the screens as they emit light, even when showing a black field. Now imagine some video starting to play on the panels and suddenly you realise that there are in fact 4 panels in the room, the other was so black you could not see it. I TELL NO LIES! This concept screen has blown me away with it’s ultimate black performance. As this is BLACK!

And don’t worry about crushed blacks, the image quality is astounding and I feel extremely privileged to have been one of the first members of the international press to see it! Ladies and Gentlemen, this is without doubt the highlight so far in the world of display technology, Pioneer have finally cracked it!

We will have more in our up coming podcasts.
20080107212013.jpg

Oh and there was also the matter of their 9mm thick concept as well, very nice, pictures below.

20080107212217.jpg

Sounds very exciting. I can't see any pictures on your post yet, but I have been oogling them from other sites and I've been stunned at how good they look. Seeing these concepts has probably been the highlight of the show for me so far, to see it in person must be something else! :thumbsup:

Very exciting. That sounds like it would have been the undoing of SED even if it had gone to market.

Nick

Absolutly blinding! :thumbsup::eek:

Great coverage too, never followed a CES event before.

Keep up the good work Phil :smashin:

That's absolutely amazing. When can we see the next models of KURO in the shop? (not the concept ones). I want to get the current LX608D model but not sure whether to wait!

That's absolutely amazing. When can we see the next models of KURO in the shop? (not the concept ones). I want to get the current LX608D model but not sure whether to wait!

Just imagine how expensive a Pioneer with perfect blacks or 9mm depth will cost though.

The 9mm is possible because of 10 lumen tech being used which means greater efficiency and so less power needed and less heat generated, oh and it will result in cheaper manufacturing costs meaning lower prices :thumbsup:

The 9mm is possible because of 10 lumen tech being used which means greater efficiency and so less power needed and less heat generated, oh and it will result in cheaper manufacturing costs meaning lower prices :thumbsup:

And much brighter whites, if what I have been told is true. Per the kind reports of someone with insider information over on the North American AVSForum, the 10 lumen tech does appear to be scheduled for 2009 (10G), but the pure blacks just might make it into some 2008 models.

Personally, I'm waiting for the full 10 lumen tech, as that is just too darned sexy to pass up.

Yours,

David

Well I think I will cash in my pension and sel lmy house and buy me a little dark place to put one of these babies in,, cause 'when':smashin: they do come out I bet they aint gonna be cheap

Seems to look even better on the show floor even more so than the product shots. Lovely piece of kit. Thin display technology seems to be a recurrent theme at this year's CES, however the only manufacturer that I can see will release their tech this year is Hitachi.

Well I think I will cash in my pension and sel lmy house and buy me a little dark place to put one of these babies in,, cause 'when':smashin: they do come out I bet they aint gonna be cheap

Well if they are not coming out until 2009 (and that's prob mid 2009), you have a year and a half to save up! :)

Guys, I also got a sneak peek at Generation 9 panels from Pioneer and WOW! More tomorrow with Photos and my thoughts.

...and I thought the current KURO's were amazing!

I am happy for these screens to come out in 2009, as by 2010 they will be slightly cheaper and in full flow, and then I can buy a new house to put in a 50" or 60" 9mm 10 Lumen Tech screen!!!!

(as wife won't let me demolish my wall and put a plasma in it AGAIN!) :nono:

I LOVE PIONEER PLASMA's!

and noob customers still come to me (working in john lewis), asking for lcd tvs -_-

how can one argue with the colour depth, contrast and better response to fast moving images and standard def

i think you have to be disabled in some way (no offence) to choose lcd at this point in time

GO PLASMA, GO PANASONIC+PIONEER!!! :D xxx

Guys, I also got a sneak peek at Generation 9 panels from Pioneer and WOW! More tomorrow with Photos and my thoughts.

Be fair Phil, it's been a week now. Plenty of time for photos and thoughts....:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom