CES '16 - Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player coming

If the price is right and panasonic are a bit dear i may be tempted to buy this as a stop gap.

why would you need a stop gap?
Samsungs UHD player is a bit cheap and nasty looking, i quite like panasonic with a display on the front.

I've been waiting since 2014, if the panasonic is under £600 i will get that.

Okay thanks zAndy1.... So even though the UHD blu Ray discs will carry HDR & will also carry the ultra HD premium logo, the players won't need to?

Also looked on wired.co.uk relating to UHD alliance new standards & that states if ' the tv or UHD blu Ray meets the new standard they will carry the logo...' So that appears to contradict the post zAndy1?

Hopefully it doesnt equate to £399.

Have £300 put a side but would need some UHD Blurays included for me to buy one.

Not going to spend £30 per film as well.

What do the fast food eating over weight greasy jerry's get the first of everything?! Takes the preverbial..

so...whats going on with these players region wise. Are they region free??? If I buy a US one am I going to be able to play my UK discs???

What do the fast food eating over weight greasy jerry's get the first of everything?! Takes the preverbial..
Love how you can totally generalize like that! It's like saying everyone in the U.K. drinks high tea and talks like Downton Abbey

so...whats going on with these players region wise. Are they region free??? If I buy a US one am I going to be able to play my UK discs???
They'll be useless in the uk. Region locking will still be in force

I thought they were supposed to be region free for UHD Blu-ray but region locked for standard Blu-ray and DVD? So you wouldn't be able to play your existing Blu-rays/DVDs (assuming they are region B/2) but you would be okay with any UHD Blu-ray discs.

Last edited:
I thought they were supposed to be region free for UHD Blu-ray but region locked for standard Blu-ray and DVD? So you wouldn't be able to play your existing Blu-rays/DVDs (assuming them are region B/2) but you would be okay with any UHD Blu-ray discs.

That's correct.

First though, I have key bit of UHD Blu-ray news for you: I’ve confirmed with both studio sources and the UHD Alliance that Ultra HD Blu-ray will not employ region coding or region locking. This means that, no matter where you live on the planet, you should be able to import UHD discs from overseas with ease (the only catch being the available language and subtitle options on the title). That’s great news for consumers and it represents a big shift from current DVD and Blu-ray. More on that in the weeks ahead. Meanwhile, let’s get back to those press events…

CES 2016 – UHD BD has no region coding, plus news from the Samsung & Sony press events

Love how you can totally generalize like that! It's like saying everyone in the U.K. drinks high tea and talks like Downton Abbey
Quite easy really....try it some time. Tea is a good source of oxidants, maybe you should try it some time..

Is anyone considering importing this? I was looking at ordering one this afternoon, but it looks like they arnt multi voltage units, which is a shame.

Is anyone considering importing this? I was looking at ordering one this afternoon, but it looks like they arnt multi voltage units, which is a shame.
If it's anything like my current Samsung it has a external transformer so getting a different primary side voltage should be easier.

Edit: just checked the manual. Transformer is internal.

If it's anything like my current Samsung it has a external transformer so getting a different primary side voltage should be easier.

Edit: just checked the manual. Transformer is internal.

I'm not sure I want to go down the route of a step down transformer.. Might just wait for the European release then.

I'm not sure I want to go down the route of a step down transformer.. Might just wait for the European release then.
I agree, hope we don't have to wait long.

According to an Italian article the Warner Bros 4K UHD discs will be released there between mid March and April. Same time as the Samsung and Panasonic players. I guess the same will apply for the rest of Western Europe.

Now DDay confirms that these discs will come in Italy, citing Barbara Peacock, VP of Group Marketing at Warner Bros. Entertainment Italy. The first titles will come out between mid-March and April, accompanying the player distribution UHD Blu-Ray Samsung and Panasonic.

I hope it turns out to be true :)

Link to the article below (Google translated to English)
Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc arriving in Italy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom