Cerwin vega experiment

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by Matyam, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Matyam

Matyam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all brief history,i had been using kef iq5se as my fronts with a B&W 750 sub for bass duties which gave a in room response down to 15hz but ive managed to twice break the supply cords through the spider bend bend snap.So for a change i bought some 15"cerwin vegas i blame my son ,which are equed with yamaha ydg2030 and ports bunged for music but unbunged for movies and i really enjoy that visceral grunt ,much more than with just sub.
    My thoughts are making most of what i have and doing without sub.
    1.Could i connect antimode between denon dvd and amp on 6 channel sub input disconnect bass drivers from crossover and connect straight to amp to utilise antimode ,as my room is a pain with no eq just to see if antimode will be better.
    2.Use 1000watt sub amp and feed bass drivers still in speaker box with antimode.
    3.Buy another 1000watt b&w sub plate amp to feed each cerwin vega bass driver to save on more sub boxes.
    4.Buy some better bass drivers for lower ouput still in speaker boxes ,as well save on more sub boxes.
    5.Damm these dark nights and go to pub.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    You need to be more specific - "15" Cerwins"" tells us nothing; 15" front speakers, 15" subs, Active or Passive, what? What model numbers?

What is it you are trying to fix that is currently not right or not to your liking?

Cerwin Subs don't go exceptionally deep, but the do tend to go exceptionally heavy. That is - high output.

Also, how do you know In-Room response on your previous Sub was 15hz? And where is that Sub now?

From my understanding, Antimode is simply EQ for the Subwoofer. Doesn't your AV Receiver already do that? No amount of correction can give you something that is not there. Also, not amount of EQ or Correction can fix a bad room. EQ can make a good room better, but it can't make a bad room good.

Also, exactly what does this mean, and what does it have to do with the question at hand -

"...ive managed to twice break the supply cords through the spider bend bend snap."

Supply cords?

Spider bend snap?

Give us a list of your current equipment - Amps, Subs, Front speakers, Center speaker, Rear/Side speakers, media source (CD, BluRay, etc)?

What are the dimensions of your room?

Describe the room, open with no carpets, no curtains, and bare walls? Or soft furnished, Carpets, Curtains, General Clutter. Bare empty rooms tend to be an acoustical nightmare, old fashioned soft furnished cluttered room tend to be acoustically better.

Lastly, what is it specifically that you are looking for? What do you want to improve? What do you want to fix? What do you need that you don't have? What do you have that you want to get rid of in terms of the sound you are hearing?

The devil is in the details.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    Also for those who don't know, the Yamaha YDG 2030 is a two-channel equalizer, which I assume was made for PA systems -

Yamaha - YDG2030

Given how hard it is to find information, this is an relatively old product.

Steve/bluewizard

4. Matyam

Matyam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi steve my system was well balanced with kef iq5se front, iq6c centre, iq2ds rears, and b&w 750 sub of which i needed to eq because of excessive booming around 20 to 25 hz with movies,a null at 30 hz and peaks around 50 and 80hz eq B on sub was ok for music as it rolled off at 30hz.This i found out using REW which as those who like tinkering know is a invaluable tool to find out why the sound doesnt sound like you think it should.A bfd 2496 chopped all the peaks down resulting in a much better improved sound and later a automatic eq antimode which because of my fixed speaker position ie restraints of normal semi made a night and day difference.Room being 24 by 16 with front door lobby and kitchen at end with soft furnishings carpet and clutter.
    The b&w 750 was great did what i wanted but where the supply cords go through the spider eventually they have broken twice wear and tear,money no object paradigm sub 2 b&w nautilus and antimode dualcore or the steinway lyndorf would be my solution in a big house BUT,cerwin vegas e 715 3 way speakers bought on whim reasoning wont break them have a change.I know inaccurate party speaker but with eq and ports bunged for music they suit my musical tastes.Anyway remember seeing some tower speakers at bristol one year with sub drivers built in so shall i have a go ? these cv speakers go low 20s hz in room which is fine but is it worth customizing to suit movies and music as cabinets are 36 x17.5 x18 my tastes exceed my pocket so is it worth customising steve cheers matt

5. Matyam

Matyam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    any thoughts anyone or can mods move to diy cheers

6. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: