• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Certain MP3 files do not play on PS3

pavr27

Established Member
I am getting very frustrated with the PS3's refusal to play some of my MP3's.

I currently use Twonky on a LS Live to serve music to the PS3 -but I don't think the problem lies here as I have tried playing these mp3's directly of a usb stick also and still no joy

The problem is the exception rather than the rule....it seems that 99% of my mp3 collection plays fine....but there are certain tracks (bizarrely quite often from the same album as track that DO play are on) that refuse to play.

These tracks appear on the PS3 - but when I select them to play, I get "File not supported" message.

They are definitely Mp3's, their bit rate is the same, their emcoding appears to be the same, they are not DRM protected....but they just refuse to play!!

Has anybody else experienced similar issues?

skifflad

Established Member
Hmm,

I've recently experienced the same with a load of downloaded TV shows which are now on the PS3 HDD. eg. Episode 1 works fine, Epispode 2 doesn't, 3 does etc.

All the same sampling bit-rate etc.

:mad:

keep_it_legal

Established Member
I had the same thing with some music MP3s. Being a good little consumer, I already owned the CDs and ended up ripped them to the PS3 drive. Exactly the same length/title/album/year/bit rate/genre/size but the only way I could get them to play on the PS3.

pavr27

Established Member
Anybody else had mp3 playback problems? I'm not getting any nearer to fixing this!.....

G

gcouncil

I justed found this thread as I recently have tried to use more of the music playback capabilities of the PS3. As with others here on the forum have found, some mp3 files do not seem to play.

Even mp3s from the same ripped CDs have various levels of success.

Has anyone found a solution or isolated the problem?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom