certain discs on my dvd recorder not playing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dvdguy23, Jan 21, 2008.

1. dvdguy23

dvdguy23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hey people could someone please tell me why my dvd recorder will not play my home recorded dvd's anymore. It plays commercial ones fine.

I been using tdk, jvc, mitsibushi media. It was playing fine but some of the discs are not recognisable but after a few tries become recognisable???

Also im having problems finalizing. It says navigation error after the process is complete? It plays some of my finalized discs but not all.

What does this all mean? Why is it reading my commercial dvd's ok but not the ones i made? Do recorders have 2 lenses etc in them? one for reading and one for reading data that the recorder had actually written?

Its an LG RH177. It has worked fine for a year, up until last week.

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    my experience of disk recorded on a recorder is they are not in proper dvd format , they tend to have their own file structures

a proper dvd should have a VIDEO_TS folder containing vobs , bups and ifos , and an empty AUDIO_TS folder too

reauthoring using TMPGEnc DVD Author should make them all work properly in any dvd player

3. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +697
    Comercial DVDs which are manufactured by pressing the data, need a much less sensitive laser to read than home recorded DVDRs and DVDRWs.
    The sensitivity of the laser can be affected by dust and scratches on the lense and I suspect also degrades with use. This can also affect the capability to record (laser beam scattered by the dust/scratches reducing the power at the focus), hence the problems when finalising.