• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Certain AVI & MKV's won't play

Kurt_Wylde

Guys, I know this is a bloody tedious and often asked question.. but even trawling through the Codec & splitter guides etc I'm still stuck.

I've got a couple of files that simply refuse to play on my Win7MC machine.
They won't play in VLC, Media Player, Media Center etc..

Trying to open them in G-Spot doesn't work and Graphstudio won't open them either, meaning I can't find out what Codecs they're using..

Is there any way to find out why these sodding things won't play?

Kurt_Wylde

Thanks for the quick reply Davey.

Windows just shows the 'default' media thumbnail in explorer, so it knows it's a media file of some description.. it's just got no clue what's in it!

I've never tried Mediainfo, I'll download it now and give it a go!

Daveybryce

the default media thumb that you see is because windows associates that file extension with a media type, it doesn't mean that the file is good.

The fact that it is default thumb and doesn't show a shot of the video suggests that the video and/or the audio streams are broken/corrupt.

I would give up with it personally. Have you ripped them or downloaded them. If you've ripped them what program have you used.

Kurt_Wylde

They're 'downloads'..but it looks like the files are defo corrupt!

I'd been Unrar'ing (is that even a word?) them across my LAN to my NAS. It just looks like some had been corrupted during this process.

Uncompressed one of the movies locally and it was fine, then copied across and tried again and we're all good.

Now that they're working in Graphstudio I can play about to try and get the streams processed properly with FFDShow.

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom