1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

centre speaker???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jockey, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Jockey

Jockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased a B&W LCR3 to go with my mission M74 & 77DS setup. I am not overwhelmed by the results. While it appears to cope well with effects, I find voice/speech to be somewhat unclear (almost bassy), and not as clear/crisp as I had expected. It sits just under my TV, as high up as the shelves on my unit will allow, so altering the position is not really an option.

Bottom line is I'm not convinced I've made the right choice. Can anyone suggest another centre speaker option that would perhaps give me what I'm looking for (i.e. clearer/crisper voice)??? Paid 130notes for this one, would be prepared to go to 200 for better results.

Advice much appreciated.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Best option is three identical front speakers. Failing this, 3 speakers from the same range. Otherwise, audition several centres at home until you find one that sounds similar to your L/R ones.

Chers,
    Liam

3. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Mission 77C1 with M74 fronts, 702e surrounds & stand mounted 700's as my surround backs, I find by using a complete Mission set you get good tonal balance, The 77C1 goes well with M74's and you can pick them for £109 in Cherry at Richer Sounds.
    Hope this is of help.

Or you could just go for a complete B&W set up which does sound amazing..

4. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 77C1, as well as being a class speaker, matches your package you have already. I think everybody would agree with this.

£100-£110 @ RS.

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Lo all,

The 77c1 is a classy little centre and no mistake :D and it might be right up your street because one of the many things it does very well is dialogue. I think the main reason for this is the vertical triple tweeter arrangement (a-la THX). It gives you a little more le-way in positioning the centre while still getting the full tonal range (that's what I've found anyway). Why not try to get listen somewhere and see what you think?

Cheers

Dave

6. Jockey

Jockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. This had been my plan originally but I have been phoning Richer Sounds (Edinburgh) since xmas and they have simply never had any more stock of the 77c1 in since they sold off the last lot; and don't reckon they will be getting any more. So if you know where I can get hold of one I'd be happy to follow your advice.

In the meantime, any other options? (Thanks again).

7. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try richers web site its £10.00 postage but its worth it for the 77c1.

8. Jockey

Jockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked the guy at RS about that and he said the website sources from the same central warehouse as the stores, so it would make no difference. I could order it and realistically never actually see one.

Any more suggestions?

9. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    You could look for one appearing second-hand here, here or here.

I really would hold out for a 77c1 - otherwise sell your M74's and get B&W speakers to match your centre.

Cheers,
    Liam

10. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't know if the M7C1 is a good substitute for the 77C1. I have the M7C1 and it's an excellent centre speaker, glad I made the right choice! HiFi Junkies ae selling it for £75.

I agree with the other posts on here. You current centre speaker sure sounds like a mismatch.

11. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds... just wait (and keep phoning.)

It took about 2 months for my rears to become available, and in that time they said it was very unlikely they would become available.

I'm having the same problems with the 773e's I'm waiting for :(

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,..is it the LCR 60 S3 you have?