Centre Speaker

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Richie15, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Richie15

Richie15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi

I have just rewired my fronts with Van Damme Blue and also my centre speaker. I replaced QED Silver Anniversary on the centre and have found the VAn Damme a bit warm, I know the Van Damme needs to bed in but long term which will be the clearest for dialogue?

Thanks

2. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Apologies if this is a silly question but how can cable "bed in"?

Playing music/ dialogue is going to rearrange the copper particles somehow?

3. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I would love to know how 'bedding in' or 'burning in' ever came to apply to speaker cables.
    Anyone

4. paulflowe

paulflowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here goes... The only thing that will 'break in' a cable's actual signal and return conductors, not the dielectric, and yes some speaker cables have a dielectric, and for 'break in' read 'break down [the microscopic cystalline structure of]' the conductor, is high voltage (over 2V down the wire, constantly, to 'melt' the molecules) or intense cold (cryogenic treatment.) Apparently, "[the] electrical resistance [of a conductor] is caused by the scattering of electrons due to defects, impurities, and thermal vibrations in the crystal lattice of a conductor." I believe it's to do with breaking down the resistance of the conductor's molecules when faced by a rampaging army of electrons. :lesson: :boring:

I've tried some standard wire and cryo'd wire of the same type, and I don't understand why :confused: but the cryo'd wire does sound remarkably better (to me, others mileage may vary...) I guess cryo'd wire offers a straight road a-la Milton Keynes to the electrons, whereas 'standard' wire offers something like Spaghetti Junction - signal will get there eventually...

A point of view here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?fcabl&1020375870&openflup&10&4#10

and here:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazine/equipment/0404/audioharma.htm

Baffling...
    Paul.