1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dmurfet, Feb 27, 2005.

1. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have embarked on building a system of Krell power and Sonus Faber speakers.

I would like some advice on a centre speaker and some fronts. From recent experience it would appear that I like to listen at volumes which are considerably louder than most. I love the sweetness (wow maybe a new audio term - don't you just love it!) of the sonus faber sound and the instant power and clarity of Krell.

I was thinking about the Sonus Faber Guarneri for my front for a couple of reasons - sweetness and the fact that the stands are so tall they will almost reach the bottom of my plasma! But since these are not exactly up to the task of being regulary thrashed (which is likely even if I do listen to gentle stuff too!) I was thinking along the lines of the Extrema which seems emintently thrashable and really good quality too.

Now to centres - I have seen but not heard the SF Cremona centre which is £2400, but today at Mark's I heard the Martin Logan centre - not sure if it was the cinema or theatre - but it was - very very good - so much I didn't even realise it was there until he turned the lights up a bit!

I think these are in the region of 3k so fairly comparable - any advice on either topics?

David

2. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You should keep the three front speakers all two way or all three way, because of out of phase drivers in SF and others...

See my signature for my choice...

3. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Lowrider - could you expand on your two/three way argument - I don't understand the physics..... :lease:

4. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A 2 way SF like your Concertos and my EAII and Signum, has the tweeters out-of-phase of the woofers, so the sound blends better, (so they say), the same with Proac and others, at least thats what I read... :rolleyes:

If we use a center speaker 3 way with the same "trick", it will have the midrange out-of-phase of the rest, so on the center mid or woofer, depending how you connect, the same frequencies will be out-of-phase with the front speakers... :lesson:

You ever tried to connect your front speakers out-of-phase, one of them with the wires reversed, the sound will be worst, less bass, smearing, this is not relevant with surround speakers because they are far enough... :nono:

Capisce... :confused:

5. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so I should either be looking at the Cremona centre, a ProAc like yours or look for L/R fronts that are not phase shifted between woofer and tweeter.

So do SF make anything like this?

I have found a ML Theatre for sale at a pretty good price and it is nagging at me! :mad:

6. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just checked the cremona and the centre is also a three way.

I know Cremona Auditor is two way since that is what is says on the website - very confused now!

7. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sure, but Cremona center is supposed to go with Cremona fronts, not Auditors...

8. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What an unfortunate occurance :cool:

I had persuaded SHMBO that the Guaneri should be the way to go and was also looking at extrema.

I still think the two way SFs are the way I would like to go - although these two are very different from what I have read (not heard either yet - only seen them!)

Apart from the ProAc CC2, are there any other two way quality centres I could consider? Budget would be up to about 2k and I don't mind if it is second hand.

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Proac CC2 was the best 2 way center I found, regardless of price, I think it is very good value, it is very detailed and doesnt call attention to itself, meaning it integrates very well with most 2 way front speakers...

If you find a pair of EAII test them, they are awsome, the Extrema should be very good for AV too, I dont think the Guarnieri have enough "power" for AV...

10. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the reviews I have read I would tend to agree about the Guaneri - any excuse to spend less money is a welcome one. I will try and hunt out some extremas and EAII's and perhaps but a lorry in case I buy the Extremas!

All of this needs to happen in phases anyhow, so I'll add them to the shopping list and keep and eye out for a s/h CC2.

Thanks Lowrider!

11. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    People rate Tannoy Dimensions pretty highly? I've seen a few pairs of these ex-demo lately, but no centres going cheap..

12. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to go with my ears and got a demo from the guy selling his ML Theater.

My reaction is great until I realise that my Yamaha 750 is probably not up to the task - because I don't have the amplification yet.

Yamaha will only be running in 5.1 but still I think it is pretty weedy and I don;t want to kill the demo speaker.

My own suggestion is that I hook up my old (but meaty) 100 watt class A monoblock which has already proven it has tons of clout and then sort out the gain problems in the processor.

Irrespective of the phase issues, do you think I am right to be cautious on the powering of the centre?

13. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont think it is that dangerous, might sound bad, but thats all... ;)

14. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool - well this way I get to hear how bad for myself and no-one gets hurt!

I'll post my thoughts when I get it....