Centre Speaker (XTZ 99.25 ?) vertical?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gregf, Jan 31, 2009.

1. gregf

gregf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Since I can't get a matching centre speaker to my Vienna Acoustics Malhers, I am thinking of trying the XTZ 99.25 as a centre speaker. I am not sure if it will tonally match my VAs but I have heard so many good things about the XTZ. Question is the placement of the speaker. The TV is sitting on the top of an open frame rack. Can I mount the speaker vertically under the TV inside the rack? Will it compromise the sound too much?

2. reaper12

reaper12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    The 99.25 can work vertically or horizontally. It should be fine, and as they are neutral speaker it should blend in well.

3. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    As to the effect of mounting a speaker low down in a rack, well enclosing a speaker in any way isn't ideal and low down tends to place the speaker near the boundary of the floor which will tend to reinforce bass just like placing it closer to a wall.

As to vertical mounting, it's the ideal way to do it as it is the only way that creates an consistent sound dispersion for people sitting off axis. I wouldn't have it any other way.:)

Russell

4. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :smashin: Quite right - just a shame it's usually difficult to do so given logistical constraints!

5. gregf

gregf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks guys. I will try the XTZ. Hopefully it will integrate relatively well with the Vienna Acoustics.

6. surayne

surayne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    We should all be so lucky, Russ! :p Lovely setup you have there.
    Is that the XTZ sub in the pic you posted?

7. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    No, it's an Aerial Acoustics SW12.

Russell

8. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    The 99.25 is quite flexible in it's treble tweaking possibilities, but I wouldn't expect it to sound anything like the very much full scale Mahlers. Would something like VA's own Theatro be a possibility - you could just stand it on end?

I would suggest that with speakers of that calibre, if a matching centre is off the cards, don't bother. Unless you have issues with dialogue collapsing toward the speaker nearest an off axis listening position, then I would suggest that no centre would be better than a poor match. After all, they're more than capable of handling the redistributed work load of the absent centre and I presume you're happy enough with their stereo imaging capabilities to distribute sound to whaere it needs to be, without a centre to lock it dead centre?

Russell

9. gregf

gregf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello Russell,

I am very happy with the imaging and the tonal balance of the Mahler's. I just love playing music through them. I hear what you are saying and I totally agree with you about a matching centre... but where do I find a Theatro? I have been trying to find one for ages (ex-demo, s/h, anything). The position is not really an issue, I can accommodate the speaker vertically or horizontally. Interesting idea to try the the VAs with no centre speaker.

10. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Not so much interesting, as one less influenced by the convention that all setups need a centre speaker; That convention being supported by the manufacturers that have a vested interest in selling more speakers.

True, with smaller speakers (such as mine) then the extra SPL capability that comes with using a third speaker at the front is beneficial - the load is spread further at high levels which helps maintain composure. However, at normal listening levels, I gauge the success of it's integration in not being able to tell whether it's on or off. Although my single handed pursuit of three identical upright speakers has to a large degree achieved this, I find that I only use it for soundtracks with a discrete centre channel and even then, only when listening at movie levels.

At more moderate day-to-day levels, I find the centre makes little difference. Also, I simply don't care for Pro Logic/DTS:Neo 'faked' surround and prefer to listen to soundtracks in their native stereo form if that's what they are. By forcing the centre channel, I find it tends to collapse the depth and width separation present in stereo soundtracks and thus everything sounds flatter.

With speakers as capable as yours, I doubt you would gain much whatever you are listening to.

Russell

11. gregf

gregf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Russell,

you have a good point. It seems that alot of companies are pushing 5.1/7.1/whatever is next like the best thing ever. I have heard several sourround sound systems that sound simply awful and the owner was much better off spending similar amounts of money on a decent stereo system. Anyway, to prove what you said, last night I tried a very old centre speaker I had in the loft (Paradigm CC150) and it sounded simply rubbish in comparison to the rest of the system. I just couldnt live with it for more than 2 minutes....

Greg

12. gregf

gregf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well at the end I decided that the XTZ will not really match the rest of the system, so as from today I have a Vienna Acoustics Maestro centre speaker (hard to hunt down!). I cant wait to get it :D